NightBEAT - July 29, 2018

10 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Yeah, they did. I get it, some Bluecoats fans are upset and disappointed. I have been there, done that. Fortunately, the corps I want to win is winning, but that hasn't happened since 1989 (1999 it looked like BD had it in the bag). I enjoy all three shows, but I think the right two are out in front.

But I don’t think we’re disappointed, my friend.  I’ll be getting my jam on for any number of corps beginning a week from Thursday!  

• Like 1

So Crown's brass is out-achieving their content (by 0.2), which puts them at risk of being overtaken in that caption. What do they need to do to raise the content scores? Add more notes? Rearrange several bars into a more challenging key. Every tuba player trade instruments with a trumpet player for a passage? Stand on their heads while playing? I'm curious to hear (realistic) suggestions.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, N.E. Brigand said:

So Crown's brass is out-achieving their content (by 0.2), which puts them at risk of being overtaken in that caption. What do they need to do to raise the content scores? Add more notes? 

Oh please no. No more notes.

I'm not sure it's smart to overanalyze individual subcaptions from one competition. I used to do that, and then found myself shocked when another judge had something completely different the next day. 

What I've noticed in DCI judging is that if there is one score that seems off from the rest, it tends to end up being the anomaly rather than the rule for the rest of the season. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, N.E. Brigand said:

So Crown's brass is out-achieving their content (by 0.2), which puts them at risk of being overtaken in that caption

Not qualified to have a suggestion but the judges have been pointing to that all season. 

35 minutes ago, craiga said:

Bluecoats lack of visual design and constant reliance on follow the leader in between musical phrases is going to hinder them in the final two weeks...just like last year.

I chose the "thanks" emotican because I wanted to be different ...haha

Speaking of anomalies... BD's guard content score now for every show they've had against the top six: 1, 3, 1, 5, 1, 1

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Oh, they are still not my favorite, not by a long shot. I like a handful of shows better than theirs this year, but I am starting to like it more and more and more. While I may not love their show, I certainly can appreciate the design and the tremendous talent those members have, especially the guard.

I hope I never decide to hate them or anyone again. Off tangent here, but my life has been all about peace. That's all I want, and that includes letting go of my hatred of BD.

BD in their Steve Urkel voice......"I'm wearing ya down baby! I'm wearing you down!!!!!!

• Like 1

This is a lesson I need to keep reminding myself, but: several years ago I was asked to write a long literary review article (about 25,000 words). It was a survey of everything written about a particular subject over the course of a year. That meant I had to review well over a hundred articles and books and comment on each one in a paragraph (for the articles) or two (for the books).

My editor told me: Spend more words describing the texts than evaluating them; if you describe a work accurately, you're telling readers a lot more than they'd get from your opinion.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Speaking of anomalies... BD's guard content score now for every show they've had against the top six: 1, 3, 1, 5, 1, 1

If you call block hairography for the 5th year in a row content

The judge panel must've been one of the toughest of the season. All of the corps imo did better from last night to tonight.

For those who dont know. The score drops don't say the corp did worse from contest to contest. They are the result of tougher judging. I think for the most part the judges got it right. All the placements seem good. The spread in the top 3 will not be consistent. I don't see it being so. Three to four nights from now, the top 3 could be within a point of each other again.

That being said, this is a super competitive year. Just watch these shows for what they are. I'm not letting a score define how good I think a show is. They perform to entertain. Let's be entertained.

posted from the DrumScorps app

• Thanks 1