NightBEAT - July 29, 2018

1 minute ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Well, that's not your style, and we're better off for having your approach as part of the mix.

But negative comments, made judiciously and with the goal of helping people understand why a corps isn't scoring as well as they'd like, are important.

For instance, on the "Big, Loud, and Live" broadcast, Dennis DeLucia is going to make some generic comments about some corps having good percussion and others struggling. He's going to say very little specifically about why, for instance, Bluecoats are scoring sixth or so in that caption. It will be very annoying.

Someone needs to explain to audience what Bluecoats aren't doing, or what they aren't doing well. ("Well" being relative. Blue will have a percussion score of about 95% of the possible total, which is like acing a test and yet having people say you're a failure.) Are there not enough notes in the snares? Did they err by having so few people in the pit? And so forth.

Those are the kind of detailed comments, even negative ones, that help people to better appreciate this activity. And we need more of them, from those with the expertise and inclination to provide them.

For the record I wasn’t saying that everything needs to be positive and happy and rainbows, just like you said.  Support the comments, positive or negative, be detailed, and don’t be a ####.  

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, dcsnare93 said:

I found all the salt for my fries!

From top to bottom, enjoyed all the performances.

All right now you make sure you share some of that salt. We can use plenty over in the BD thread lol.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, craiga said:

Nice job, Boston! Now 5 points ahead of Cadets, put up a spread on the Cavies, and continuing to gain on Crown and Bloo.  But we do need someone to tell us again....WHICH if these results are "aberrations" again?

"Judge Debbie" ( Torchia ) is seemingly at least off the hot seat now with tonites scores.. She was singled out and had a " wicked " bad day here on DCP last night and today with the scores she gave out to the Cavaliers in Atlanta. 

• Like 3

Just now, Cappybara said:

Isn't super conceptual and philosophical themes a pretty common complaint against BD shows? 

Figures, the one year they go a little more literal they get dinged for that too

Right? This is just kind of a strange year for design all around. The great thing this year is that everybody is so chalked full of talent that it hardly matters. There are incredibly complex and enjoyable parts to every single show. 

I think its great that the corps are providing us with so much material to speculate and share spirited dialogue over! 

5 minutes ago, WarriorWay said:

They’ve stuck with it and it’s worked

Nah.

To take just one point: "Cabaret Voltaire" had untranslated German and French narration. Sucks to be an audience member who took Spanish instead.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

If this summer has taught me anything is that if you let scores get you this bent out of shape you’re in it for the wrong reasons.  They’re just having a blast and putting the best show possible out there.  Whatever else happens is out of their control.  If they don’t care about the scores, I sure as hell shouldn’t.  They had an awesome run tonight, felt great, and onto the next one.  

Amen!

I was brought up in a band whose staff made it very clear in the beginning that at competitions the judges role is to give us a number for how they think we did even though that number can drop 10 pts from one show to another even though you actually had a better show than your previous one. Our philosophy was the only judge we cared about at all was ourselves. Sure it's a competition and we wanted to win the gold each time. But other than at a retreat, the only time our actual score was said by any member of the staff or a tech was when we had a rough prelims show and they wanted to light a fire under us to put on our best show to date and see what we can come away with then. As a performer, you have ZERO control over how the other groups do. It isn't like football or basketball where you can play defense. Your only defense is to put out the best you can possibly do each show. If you did that, what more could a staff want from its kids?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

We can agree to disagree here. The judges will go ahead and do that too. 

Every time in favor of BD. They can go out and just eat cheeseburgers and win visual and I will never understand why

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, WarriorWay said:

Fair point

Of course that said, bringing a painting to life on the field is an insanely neat idea and they’re pulling it off quite well.

• Like 1

Holy moly...BD and BAC really increased their point spreads. More than I.would have thought practical even with smaller number of competitors and different? judging panel.

Are these ToC shows still judged differently?

BAC guard back to ranking near what they should be. BAC beating Crown in total visual. And right there with them in feet. Beating Cavs in all captions, even GE. That's huge. What a well written program.

I did not expect this to happen this season. 

They are even holding their own in music. 

Their brass and percussion still have a lot of room to grow according to the sheets. It looks like they just may stay on top of the Cavs here on out.

As far as BD with that huge a gap over the Coats, doesn't surprise me but it kinda does. BD show seems weaker than usual. This corps just will not accept anything less than 2nd. 2006 last time they got 3rd. And 2005 last time they did not medal. When will this streak end???