NightBEAT - July 29, 2018

Just now, DrumManTx said:

On a positive note......

So glad this one didn’t get rained out, and what a great stadium.  My aunt and uncle got to see drum corps for the first time ever, live or on video, was awesome.  SCV did incredible from the end zone and we had a great run.  I’m sure everyone else did as well, I love so may of the shows this year and regardless of scores, what an awesome year.  

Less than two weeks left people.  Enjoy it.  

What great sound in that venue!  I really enjoyed it!  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CCond said:

I’m sorry friend, but it’s my personal opinion that your statement is off-base. BD bangs you over the head with what their show is. “We’re making up a story out of a classic American painting” doesn’t really leave you with anything to take away for yourself. It’s a good story, and a cool idea. Doesn’t require much introspection and thought about what it means to you personally. Bloo gives you a little bit more room to think and take away what you like while still following their idea to an extent.

Isn't super conceptual and philosophical themes a pretty common complaint against BD shows? 

Figures, the one year they go a little more literal they get dinged for that too

11 minutes ago, CCond said:

Bloo has clean feet, clean brass, a very generally effective show, the pace is better than BD, the transitions are smoother than BD, and it gets the people feeling something that BD’s show doesn’t seem to. Bloo taught us all that warming-over the previous year’s design doesn’t do it for the fans, BD decided to try it anyway. BD is clean, not cleaner. They sound good, not better, their show has good moments, but it doesn’t grab the majority by the shirt and say “listen to me right now” the way that Bloo’s does. It’s a shame it doesn’t click with you (personally I feel like you’re really missing out) , but that’s no reason to discredit what they are achieving here. 

Well, the judges don't see it that way. I think BD is out executing them. I think BD's guard and the staging of the guard is far superior (it's the best this season). The guard is up front and center doing their demanding book - for all to see, mistakes and all. BD's music is very entertaining, the drill is solid. It's a great show. Bloo has a great show too. I just think BD and SCV have the better shows, and the judges agree.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

giphy.gif

:throwupen: "Stop, it BURNS"! Calling the "hair chorus" to fan it out ;)

Edited by CorpwithanS
carotene

2 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

No they are not. SCV may be more disjointed, but from a high prospective, it's more traditional than you give it credit for. I would agree to the last 3rd of Bloos show, but the first 2/3 is the hardest and cleanest drill this year

We can agree to disagree here. The judges will go ahead and do that too. 

8 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

The constant tearing down of other corps to support why you think yours is better (not you specifically, just in general) is just hard to read.  I hope I never reach a point where I feel like that is necessary.  

Well, that's not your style, and we're better off for having your approach as part of the mix.

But negative comments, made judiciously and with the goal of helping people understand why a corps isn't scoring as well as they'd like, are important.

For instance, on the "Big, Loud, and Live" broadcast, Dennis DeLucia is going to make some generic comments about some corps having good percussion and others struggling. He's going to say very little specifically about why, for instance, Bluecoats are scoring sixth or so in that caption. It will be very annoying.

Someone needs to explain to audience what Bluecoats aren't doing, or what they aren't doing well. ("Well" being relative. Bloo will have a percussion score of about 95% of the possible total, which is like acing a test and yet having people say you're a failure.) Are there not enough notes in the snares? Did they err by having so few people in the pit? And so forth.

Those are the kind of detailed comments, even negative ones, that help people to better appreciate this activity. And we need more of them, from those with the expertise and inclination to provide them.

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, CCond said:

I’m sorry friend, but it’s my personal opinion that your statement is off-base. BD bangs you over the head with what their show is. “We’re making up a story out of a classic American painting” doesn’t really leave you with anything to take away for yourself. It’s a good story, and a cool idea. Doesn’t require much introspection and thought about what it means to you personally. Bloo gives you a little bit more room to think and take away what you like while still following their idea to an extent.

Fair point

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Oh yes they are. That's my favorite part of Bloo's show. I honestly think you need to really try to see what BD is doing next time you see them. There is a lot of demand in their visual program. There is. That's why they are being rewarded. Rotating boxes, and fast speeds are definitely very demanding, but there are other things that include demand that don't involve fast rotating boxes. I can tell you, 2017 and 2018 and have been so much more enjoyable for me, since I tossed my hatred for BD away. Not saying you hate them, but for me, I absolutely did, and was angry most of the season. Good to have that out of my life.

I try very hard every year to have an open mind, but BD just pulls out the same kitch and gets more benefit of the doubt than they deserve. I do think that they march more this year than in any year since 2008 but its still not as much as their competition

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Isn't BD famous for the rotating box that shrinks and enlarges as it moves across the field??? That's been an addition in quite a few of their shows this past decade. 

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills reading some of these comments 

Yeah, they did. I get it, some Bluecoats fans are upset and disappointed. I have been there, done that. Fortunately, the corps I want to win is winning, but that hasn't happened since 1989 (1999 it looked like BD had it in the bag). I enjoy all three shows, but I think the right two are out in front.