Massillon, Ohio - Tour of Champions: Monday, August 6, 2018

11 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

It's that delightful day when I don't have time to read or post much here because I need some sleep between attending Massillon today and getting a few hours in at work before driving to Michigan City for O.C. championships. So I'll try to return to this thread later in the week. It was a great evening. A couple quick thoughts:

1. I love how in Cavaliers' closer they have the guard step over the hornline, a reversal of a classic image of years gone by.

2. Don't sit on the side one 30-yard line for Bluecoats or Santa Clara Vanguard. Those were the only two corps who sounded notably out of balance from that position. In SCV's case, the corps sounded like a mallet section with occasional brass accompaniment.

Wasn't sure I was going to be able to hear the Bluecoats after being punched in the face multiple times by SCV brass. I was around the 45 on the side that Boston spent their entire show!

30 minutes ago, ThePlanets said:

Wasn't sure I was going to be able to hear the Bluecoats after being punched in the face multiple times by SCV brass. I was around the 45 on the side that Boston spent their entire show!

I was around the same spot, same side as you but up higher (row DD).  I can relate to the "punched in the face" feeling from SCV.  There were a couple of times, esp. in the first two pieces, where they did a stepped increase in volume as each voice entered / chord changed.  It was very controlled and impressive while still letting you know "we've got more, here it is"...

• Like 6

17 hours ago, wvu80 said:

This was the best USMC drum corps I've ever seen!  They marched a very modern show, which surprised me.  They got the loudest and longest ovation of the night and literally brought the house down.

The crowd loved 'em!  And so did I.  :91_thumbsup:

Unfortunately, I didn't get to see them as I was making my way to the press box and got stuck in the lines heading into the stands while they performed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kevingamin said:

Unfortunately, I didn't get to see them as I was making my way to the press box and got stuck in the lines heading into the stands while they performed.

You looked great on the field with RIB!

Edited by drumcorpsfever

Just now, drumcorpsfever said:

You look great on the field with RIB!

Thanks! It felt good to be on that field again. First time since 1996 with Glassmen.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mfrontz said:

Just a few very brief thoughts after a great show.

Mandarins give me a visual show that makes so much sense and a drumline that throws down. Next year, Mandarins, is the most important year. So, so hard to maintain your position. Stay hungry.

Crossmen had an energetic run last night. This is a very good hornline that does some very technical and expressive stuff well. It takes guts in this day and age to put six minutes of a Tschaikovsky symphony on the field. In the main, it worked. 

Blue Knights are another corps that do atmosphere so well. As Kevin Gamin said, most faithful presentation of Rite of Spring that's ever been put on the field. Some of the arranging, especially for the low brass, was really tasty. Beautiful flag moments as always. 

The Cavaliers had a great fan following last night. I especially liked 'Orawa.' An extremely assertive, dramatic, and full-throated presentation. The winner of the 'We let tubas play tuba' award.

Boston Crusaders have topped last year. They seem to have taken the 'tongue-in-cheek' humor caption from The Cavaliers. That drumline! Wow! The vanishing act will be a moment that is remembered for decades.

Carolina Crown wins the most aggressive corps award. Their drumline and their hornline both were championship-worthy. And we need to get off the guard's back. These kids are great, their design is great. This show happens to be up against three monster drum corps for a medal this year.

Vanguard has 150 musical and visual soloists who are performing and engaging the audience in a way I have never seen on a football field. It's what they do, but more importantly it's how they do it. The only show where the crowd was out of their seats before it ended.

Bluecoats have the best show in their history. Better than Tilt, better than Down Side Up, and it won't win. Suffice it to say that from the first moments they took me to a different world. 

These are things I want.

I want more T's and hats that say 'drum and bugle corps' on them. I want people to know what The Crossmen, The Vanguard, The Bluecoats, etc., are.

I want no more recorded vocals carrying a melodic line ever. Ever. EVER. EVER. 

I want to see the Blue Devils live, but I can't.

I want Death characters to take a year off.  

I want to go again.

I agree completely on the recorded vocals.  Kudos to Crossmen and Bloo for using live soloists, and Cadets for not only using a quartet, but putting them into the drill.  And to Cavs for having the whole corps sing.

7 minutes ago, Icer said:

And to Cavs for having the whole corps sing.

I saw the show in Buffalo, and not only was the singing fake/pre-recorded, each line was coming out of different speakers.

22 minutes ago, Icer said:

I agree completely on the recorded vocals.  Kudos to Crossmen and Bloo for using live soloists, and Cadets for not only using a quartet, but putting them into the drill.  And to Cavs for having the whole corps sing.

And BAC for a trio singing to open and close the show 

• Like 2

This is what you missed Monday.  I wish you could see a close up of the jazz singer.  She is just cute as a button and fits the show perfectly.  Best ever singer and best ever integration of a vocal into a drum corps show.

Edited by wvu80