DCI World Champs Prelims - Aug 9, 2018

31 minutes ago, Corps_Efan said:

Colts- winning earasers

They were super loud...maybe DCI should regulate the decibel level.e

NO!!!!  I was on the seventh row and loved it.  Now wait a second while I turn up the TV In the hotel because I can't hear a thing right now.

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Corps_Efan said:

Seriously, how can younger or smaller corps compete if there’s no spending cap?

No one can compete if a corps can build an entire diner on the field  or when a corps can hire a 3 person acoustic engineering staff...then I gotta wonder, is it really about the music and the design or is it about the wallet?

it's ALWAYS been an arms race in drum corps - used to be who could afford AC on their buses and new horns every other year

Now it's about props and electronics

There will NEVER be a spending cap 

• Like 1

It can be.  Just change the mentality that if you have something on the field you get credit for it.  I mean the amount of stuff this year was staggering.  Outfitting almost the entire horn line with trombones?!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

Maybe it would help to see them up close.  The members really ARE the beast.  I saw them live! four days ago and my seats at Tiger Stadium were super close to the field. 

I didn't take note of every member but the color guard made intense, beast-like faces.  Their uniforms certainly are made to convey the beast theme.

The members BEING the beast seems to be the look the staff is going for.

I’ve seen the close up shots (unfortunately they didn’t come to the west coast so haven’t seen them in person this year). I see the beastly faces and the snarling, but the costumes remind me of bugs  

Maybe they went too Meta for me. I like Crown shows to bang me over the head with an obvious and consistent theme (e=mc^2, Inferno, Relentless). “The Beast is already inside you” feels like a motivational speech at the local Holiday Inn ;) 

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

it's ALWAYS been an arms race in drum corps - used to be who could afford AC on their buses and new horns every other year

Now it's about props and electronics

There will NEVER be a spending cap 

I still maintain that SCV has the least going on (materially speaking) in their program out of the whole lot.  And yet they have the most intricacy and investment in the performance.  The material resource and funding complaint certainly has legs... but it's not inhibiting (as can be seen this year) to try to do much more with much less.  SCV just isn't fighting to win it against a field of prop filled programs.  They own it by a good margin in spite of the material bling that they are up against.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

I still maintain that SCV has the least going on (materially speaking) in their program out of the whole lot.  And yet they have the most intricacy and investment in the performance.  The material resource and funding complaint certainly has legs... but it's not inhibiting (as can be seen this year) to try to do much more with much less.  SCV just isn't fighting to win it against a field of prop filled programs.  They own it by a good margin in spite of the material bling that they are up against.

This.  It's called marching and playing a good show.  You know, drum and bugle corps. :)  They also don't do straight leg technique. :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cfirwin3 said:

I'm not sure what you are referring to that they have the "least going on"

they have the large nested props that the spend a great amount of performance time moving around and standing on, they have a crazy amount of wireless and standing (shotgun) mics, pods of speakers, customized show-themed costumes and a massive pit. So other than their props being "smaller" than BD's stage or Bloo's massive chairs they have a lot going on...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, brassboy said:

Tom Blair was at Allentown to plan out shots and never got a chance to see most of the Friday night corps.

Tom Blair could have just referred to footage from the last 10 years, the only difference was no white poles. Repeat music, repeat body movement, repeat staging, repeat long hair #metoo guard section. etc...

• Haha 1