The Cadets 2019

3 hours ago, chris ncsu said:

As usual, there is a handful of people who at least talk like they know what's going on. I choose to take it all with a grain of salt, since it's mostly through the grapevine (even if they are legitimate contacts that you people have).

Sea Salt?

1 hour ago, East9900 said:

This isn't professional sports.

Sorry, but I can't fault a corps for having more money than another. Same goes the other way: shouldn't punish a corps that spends money because others can't or choose not to. Not to mention the money that members pay to be a member of these corps. 

I'm guessing this idea would be so corps would be better, but if anything I think many would be much worse. Under this system, corps wouldn't be able to keep staff due to successful staff going where the money was/wasn't. Staffs would be thrown together not due to what they added, but to what they cost. Artistic differences would be worse, not better. We would never witness staff stability (a huge problem for The Cadets right now). Corps identities would dissolve even more than now, because the identity would change based on the staff for that year. Some members will go to a place because they want to be taught by a certain person. Corps that cannot meet the parity threshold wouldn't be much different from those that cannot already. Those are just a few things that could happen.

I'm sorry, but its not a good idea in the slightest.

Well, it was really more of a question than an idea or a proposal, but I understand your point. 

I'll go the box now alone...2 minutes by myself...and feel shame. Maybe even put myself on ignore. 

26 minutes ago, chris ncsu said:

Weird that 2012 and 2013 passed muster with you.

Was making an overall point but yes, I don't think there has been a show in a long while where bad design decisions and off-field issues didn't hold the corps back to some extent in terms of competition, audience appeal, and member experience.

Edited by FTNK
English DO YOU SPEAK IT

5 hours ago, Algernon said:

He was also (and still is) the caption head.

The portion of the program he wrote was painfully substandard. 

Drill designer #1 did a serviceable job but clearly has been designated as Fall Guy. If the work wasn't what they wanted why bring him back? There is plenty of proof of his work, it wasn't a mystery. Drill designer #2 was the patsy -  not ready for the job and put into an unwinnable position.

The real losers are the members and Cadets fans. Year to year change wreaks havoc on design teams. Change within the year (not once but twice) puts undue stress on a portion of the program. the Cadets will be re-writing as those in their neighborhood are making minor adjustments, enhancing and cleaning.

No. Drill designer 1 did not do a serviceable job 

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Amazed&Stunned said:

Well .... Bobby Jones ( Drill Designer #1), is talented. Why he was fired?  Who knows?  It is like in many aspects of life. We only know what we are told. The point I guess is that the powers that be made the change. I think I heard the change was made 10 days before the first show. That is  pretty insane. What did they think was going to happen? The replacement, Chris Johnson, as listed on the website, was probably trying to help a very difficult situation. He gets a pat on the back for that. But, he did take a non winnable assignment and that is on him, as Algernon says. And it looks like he is still the visual caption head? 

I am not sure about the loser comment. Yes, the Cadets are going to have a tough year, no question about that. It could be very tough. But, pretty much all competitive groups move up and down. Santa Clara dropped in the early 90's if I remember, the Cavaliers for a long time in the 80's, even the Blue Devils when they changed drum staffs just before the season some time ago. They fired Tom Float and brought in Fred Sanford. 

It happens. Even Apple computer has a bad year. 

No he isn’t. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chris ncsu said:

As usual, there is a handful of people who at least talk like they know what's going on. I choose to take it all with a grain of salt, since it's mostly through the grapevine (even if they are legitimate contacts that you people have).

Eye roll 

6 minutes ago, FTNK said:

Was making an overall point but yes, I don't think there has been a show in a long while where bad design decisions and off-field issues didn't hold the corps back to some extent in terms of competition, audience appeal, and member experience.

Exactly 

14 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

Well, it was really more of a question than an idea or a proposal, but I understand your point. 

I'll go the box now alone...2 minutes by myself...and feel shame. Maybe even put myself on ignore. 

nah it's all good.

18 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

Haha no need to do that. I am most certainly guilty of some very bad ideas and have had to hide my shame. :)

I understand the purpose of your suggestion and it had good intentions. 

Wasn't trying to rain on your parade, just throw out some things you may not have considered. And in the end I suppose I threw a monsoon at you. No hard feelings, hopefully. 

Edited by East9900

2 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

nah it's all good.

Ah, thanks. But I ain't kissing your ring.