2019 Predictions!

3 minutes ago, skevinp said:

At the end of the 1996 season, Phantom overcame a 3.7 point deficit in 2 days.

But I'm sure nothing will change much over the next 42 days.

probably right - everything is set in stone :laughing:

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, skevinp said:

I would love to see that kind of thing happen again.  But I don't know... PR did that on technical achievement and a concept of GE that had most of the top 5-6 perferming essentially the same design on different themes.  Design is much more diverse now than it was then.  I don't know all the implications of that, but I do know that we don't seem to see surges like that anymore.

Hmmm ... so I’m trying to get behind the Bloo show. Since I don’t like the Beatles, challenge #1 .. I mean I don’t dislike it but I also don’t go .. wow that is a gold medal show .. but I could say the same about the top six. Was happy to see scores level out some. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

I would love to see that kind of thing happen again.  But I don't know... PR did that on technical achievement and a concept of GE that had most of the top 5-6 perferming essentially the same design on different themes.  Design is much more diverse now than it was then.  I don't know all the implications of that, but I do know that we don't seem to see surges like that anymore

I would tend to agree with this. PR's show this year just has too many large GE questions marks. I think they have the ability to stay in the top 12 if the stars align but it's going to take some major re-thinking of the show. The MM's are pretty capable I'm sure. The question will be if the design staff is willing to take what has been said (hopefully) by the judges and turn it into something successful. I would LOVE to hear some GE tapes of PR to find out what their feedback is. 

12 minutes ago, BWise said:

Hmmm ... so I’m trying to get behind the Bloo show. Since I don’t like the Beatles, challenge #1 .. I mean I don’t dislike it but I also don’t go .. wow that is a gold medal show .. but I could say the same about the top six. Was happy to see scores level out some. 

I haven't been "wowed" by anyone this year in an "overall" way. Usually I can pick up some really great moments or get behind a whole concept but early season this year it seems harder to do than in years past. That's one of the nice things about not really seeing much in the way of DCI until Atlanta. By the time the regional comes up, everyone is pretty solid with very few (if any) changes. 

2 hours ago, skevinp said:

That was an interesting, and fun year. Phantom Regiment was likely underscored at many shows coming down the stretch, but there were other factors. BD was awesome, but not invincible and it wasn't like their GE was killer. The Cadets had to take some time off to perform for the 96 Olympic Games closing ceremonies in Atlanta. They performed some of their field show on an unmarked field (sloppy) and did a really fun comedy skit with a comedian that I really enjoyed, but that also must have taken a good bit of time to prepare. It's a fairly substantial amount of marching and music they learned for the games, including an arrangement of Summon The Heroes. Sadly, they did not look sharp in Quarters, but performed very well in Semifinals and were only .3 from BD. Many of us thought Cadets had the corps to beat that year and would lay down their best show and take the title by a few tenths. Little did we know what was about to happen. The Cadets performed average by their standards, with a huge brass, percussion, and marching tear in the closer. BD performed well by their standards, but not all-time great BD. The door was open and Phantom Regiment was just killer on Finals night. One trumpeter fell briefly, but recovered quickly. Aside from that they laid down a brass performance that won them the brass caption and their marching was crisp and clean. The GE just exploded and many of us were thinking they looked and sounded the best of the top 3 but just didn't believe they would get the nod over Cadets and BD. They did, tying BD for the title. I think they should have won outright. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I haven't been "wowed" by anyone this year in an "overall" way. Usually I can pick up some really great moments or get behind a whole concept but early season this year it seems harder to do than in years past. That's one of the nice things about not really seeing much in the way of DCI until Atlanta. By the time the regional comes up, everyone is pretty solid with very few (if any) changes. 

Yes .. I will be @ Atlanta. Plus the new stadium !!! 

2 minutes ago, BWise said:

Yes .. I will be @ Atlanta. Plus the new stadium !!! 

It's pretty #### nice. I will say getting in and parking is MUCH easier than getting out after the show. But that's really no different than it was at the Georgia Dome. They just reduced concession pricing and I have to say that the lines were really short. 

• Like 1