2019 Predictions!

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

You forgot 1973.  Which in DCI terms is pretty much “land before time.”  Nonetheless pretty darned impressive. 14th to 4th.  I think. 

I’d settle for 16th to 6th, but sadly in today’s activity-not going to happen.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

You forgot 1973.  Which in DCI terms is pretty much “land before time.”  Nonetheless pretty darned impressive. 14th to 4th.  I think. 

Yes.. forgot about that one.( 14th in '72, then 4th in '73).. Thats impressive to be sure. ' Not sure we'll ever see a 10 place jump up in placement in any one season in World Class Div. DCI any time soon.

• Like 1

If Madison has a well designed finalist caliber show performed at a high level I could see them moving up a couple places.  The catch is having to bump corps that are equally hungry. I think the days of huge placement jumps are a thing of the past, the last one being Blue Stars jump from 14th to 8th in 2008. 

Interesting trivia question that would be. Is Madison's 10 place jump a DCI record? (in terms of non-finalist to finalist. With as many corps as there were in the 70s I can see one going from 30th to 15th ) 

4 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

Interesting trivia question that would be. Is Madison's 10 place jump a DCI record? (in terms of non-finalist to finalist. With as many corps as there were in the 70s I can see one going from 30th to 15th ) 

It's very possible, although I don't know for certain. With a  quick search, I did see that Bluecoats jumped 13 places from 1985-1986, but there could easily be others.

Edited by tesmusic

So much for it being a DCI record. Now that I think about, even the Blue Devils went from 24th to 9th in 73-74. 

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

Boston's jump from 12th to 6th in 2017 was more recent and possibly tougher to accomplish.

Perhaps so. Then there's DCP poster Bruckner's Competitive Inertia Theory ( that so far holds true ) that states that before a Corps can win a DCI Title, they must first medal. Would like to see some Corps debunk that Theory of his some day in the future too.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

So much for it being a DCI record. Now that I think about, even the Blue Devils went from 24th to 9th in 73-74. 

Yup... thats another BITD DCI huge placement jump up in one season, now that you mention it.

Star of Indiana , along with the Bleu Raeders of Louisiana, are also the only 2 DCI Corps to ever emerge and make DCI  World Class Division Finals qualification in their 1st year of DCI Competition as well. That was BITD too... But its highly unlikely that will ever happen again in the DCI World Class Division Finals Night competition again, imo..

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2