Interesting occurrence at I&E this year

3 minutes ago, FlamMan said:

What reason would justify her doing this? For God sakes, have some respect for the activity...& yourself.

Probably another SJW wanting their pound of flesh...

9 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

On a related note - has GH actually been indicted yet?  I know the PA legal system is investigating, but I don't recall an indictment as of yet.

No

10 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

My point is that it needs to continue to be said. Saying it once hasn’t made it stop. 

And it needs to be said at the most public and high point of the activity’s gathering. Because, as I pointed out, some people haven’t even heard it

This is certain to be true. It's always true of other news: the public is generally more ignorant than you expect. 

8 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

So if one of the finalist corps (for example, the Cadets) had chosen to use their 17 minutes in finals last night to read a GH indictment instead of performing their competitive program, your reaction would be the same?

That would certainly be a brave choice.

8 hours ago, CD23 said:

Who's to decide what's relevant or not? 

It sounds like Dan Acheson decided this wasn't relevant.

7 hours ago, CD23 said:

You can draw lines here.  It is not appropriate to say the "f word" in church. 

Oh, I think anyone can easily imagine some hypothetical situations where even that might seem appropriate, say for instance, as part of shining a "spotlight" on wrongdoing.

7 hours ago, 27Socal said:

Did Dan do the right thing to shut this down from a legal standpoint?  There is no right to free speech in DCI or any other organization or company at an event or even on the premises that they control. Free speech only applies to the government shutting down the speech of citizens.  DCI is not the government.  DCI can shut down speech at their events any time they want.  Was Dan properly doing his job to protect DCI from legal action?  Unless the word "allegedly" was was used in the presentation, DCI, the corps, the corps director and/or the member could be sued for defamation.   Every media organization knows this and uses the word "allegedly" in reporting on situations like this.   Since at this point, there have been no civil or criminal convictions regarding this matter,   a person who was "damaged" by this could file a lawsuit and probably win. Even a person in this forum who doesn't use the word "allegedly"  could be legally liable.  Maybe a person in the Drum Corps community  who is a lawyer (I know of 2 former percussion instructors who are lawyers) could expand on this. I'm pretty sure that any lawyer advising DCI would tell them to shut down this type of behavior.

By suing, Hopkins would open himself for legal discovery, would he not?

I don't seem to remember Bill Cosby suing Hannibal Buress for saying, in public, long before Cosby was even tried, that Cosby was a rapist.

11 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

I'm not about to stifle valid artistic impression because of what "might happen" by someone taking it "too far."  I"m sure the same hand wringing was made when the Garfield Cadets marched a Peace symbol in the "no more war" show.  

We actually first performed it to "White Rabbit" in our 1970 show. The head powers-that-be of the VFW at Nationals in Miami said we did not belong on the field because of the Peace Sign. However, when we formed it and turned to the stands, flashbulbs by the thousands went off, from the rank and file VFW members who did not agree with their leadership, I guess.

• Like 1