YEA suspends operations of Cadets 2 and Lays off 9 Employees

25 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Jack can still play a mean soprano.

I remember a few years ago, he played the iconic "Centorino solo" in BAC Senior's performance of Conquest... and nailed it!!!

13 hours ago, garfield said:

This is hard to live through, but it's a valuable lesson to learn that one's boss will likely NEVER tell us when there's about to be a dramatic change.  There are tons and tons of examples of bosses (CEO's and others) who proclaim staunch independence and unity, only to claim "that was then" when the company is sold or the division is laid off, or "...C-2 can't be supported despite what we said last year."

"Big-boy/big-girls pants" are just a necessary accessory to what drum corps in general, and Cadets in specific, proclaim to teach young people.

One of the NJ radio stations where I worked... the head of our parent company's media division met with the staff and denied rumors that the station was up for sale. Told us not to worry, everything was good.
Later that same day, our station engineer showed me a "radio property for sale" notice in a media trade publication. The notice was for our station.  :laughing:  Ya can't make this stuff up.  LOL.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

I’m thinking at that time there were no plans to disband C2 and or the full realization and damage done to YEA! wasn’t yet revealed.

From a conversation I had with an individual in a position to know this stuff... I believe that was the case.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

I’m thinking at that time there were no plans to disband C2 and or the full realization and damage done to YEA! wasn’t yet revealed. I get the “under promise, over deliver” golden rule but I’d wager they were saying “the truth” as it was understood at that time. I heard the rumor last summer that the C2 disbanding decision had been made - and at that time it hadn’t been made. The rumor circulating at the time, while prescient, was false 

That’s what I am thinking too. At the time no plans to drop C2. That being said, how and what the 2019 members were told will go a long way in how much hard feelings will be generated and how the new board will be seen. As the new board wants to be open as opposed to the past this is an area to tread carefully. And have no idea what was said as none of my business. But hope it wasn’t anything like well crap happened you’re just going to have to wear “big boy pants” and get over it.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

33 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

One of the NJ radio stations where I worked... the head of our parent company's media division met with the staff and denied rumors that the station was up for sale. Told us not to worry, everything was good.
Later that day, our station engineer showed me a "radio property for sale" notice in a media trade publication. The notice was for our station.  :laughing:  Ya can't make this stuff up.  LOL.

Family had an AMC dealership just as the company started nose diving. Company basically sent out letters “we are reducing our number of dealers... you’re one of them”. Followed by a date to clear the books and get the cars off the lot. Combo of don’t care about the people who work for you and how you appear to the world.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

1 hour ago, garfield said:

This is hard to live through, but it's a valuable lesson to learn that one's boss will likely NEVER tell us when there's about to be a dramatic change.  There are tons and tons of examples of bosses (CEO's and others) who proclaim staunch independence and unity, only to claim "that was then" when the company is sold or the division is laid off, or "...C-2 can't be supported despite what we said last year."

"Big-boy/big-girls pants" are just a necessary accessory to what drum corps in general, and Cadets in specific, proclaim to teach young people.

The Senior VP of IT at the company I worked for told us every year at the Holiday party that the reason we had so many contractors was to absorb any ebb and flow of work, so that employees would not be impacted. I ended up being part of a huge release of employees that started in late 2017 and continued through this summer (I was Feb 1). When I mentioned what the VP would say at the party to the Executive director who was at my separation meeting, she just said something like...."well times change". 

1 hour ago, Fran Haring said:

Later that day, our station engineer showed me a "radio property for sale" notice in a media trade publication. The notice was for our station.  :laughing:  Ya can't make this stuff up.  LOL.

I worked for a division of J&J in the early 90's. Our president moved on to a different division, and when the new president started, we all knew we were not long for the J&J world. He was known as a J&J hatchet guy to come in and prepare to close things down...we were sold to another company within 10 months of him taking over. 

6 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Back closer to the thread topic here...

I don't know if this has been discussed, but I wonder where the members who planned on marching C2 in 2019 will now end up... if anywhere.  Cadets?  DCI Open Class corps? Other DCA corps?

Not trying to open up a separate can of worms here... just wondering.

All the above if they want to perform somewhere, Fran. Add other DCI WC Corps to your list too.