YEA suspends operations of Cadets 2 and Lays off 9 Employees

16 hours ago, ykw said:

Within hours of the announcement on Wednesday, I believe those who came to the November camp to audition for C2 received an email with options of 1) requesting a partial refund or 2) coming to the December camp to audition for Cadets.  Those who have already paid for the December camp can request a full refund.

Actually, I think where the damage was done stems from what the kids heard last season the few times a YEA board member came to a C2 show -- "unity", "the rumors that C2 will be disbanded are false", "you are all Cadets" -- it all rings hollow today.

If Doug Rutherford or anyone else on the YEA board has made a video specifically addressing the C2 members, staff and volunteers to thank them for all their hard work and commitment to excellence, and that they will be missed -- well, I must have missed it.

several were concerned about continued rumors to Open class in DCI as well.

and i saw yesterday a former member got n email inviting them to the next regular cadets camp weekend.....and the kid is too old to march DCI but still could have done C2. Needless to say, their thoughts were less than pleasant about the insincerity, and in fact considered it on par with the old administrations incessant begging.

i know the folks running YEA have the best intentions...i do not doubt that for a second. But I think a few PR things could have been handled better. C2 long had the "red headed step child" tag to some...and now kids feel it was true all along

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, ykw said:

Within hours of the announcement on Wednesday, I believe those who came to the November camp to audition for C2 received an email with options of 1) requesting a partial refund or 2) coming to the December camp to audition for Cadets.  Those who have already paid for the December camp can request a full refund.

I think that everyone who came to the November camp to audition for C2 should have been offered a FULL refund. That's #### cheesy in my mind to offer those who don't want to audition for Cadets in December only a partial refund. No, if ANYONE involved in YEA had ANY IDEA that this decision was coming (and I find it hard to believe that they didn't) , then they took those kids' money under false pretenses and the money should be returned IN FULL.

• Like 4

It really is a shame. I know that the organization is trying very hard to right the ship in any way that it can. The corps lost in DCI and DCA over just the last few decades make me very sad. It's a great activity and one that I constantly encourage people to check out. When C2 first hit the scene, my selfish concern was that with the financial backing of Cadets, there would be an unstoppable power house in DCA and my corps (Corpsvets now CV) would end up having their growing momentum stalled. Again, it was selfish and in the moment...but it was an honest moment. Times change, younger people grow older and priorities become clear. Both corps fostered and I was happy to see it. 

I wish the former members and staff all the best on the next leg of their journey in Drum Corps. I hope C2 returns to the field if the situation is right. But the situation MUST be right for those kids. 

42 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

and i saw yesterday a former member got n email inviting them to the next regular cadets camp weekend.....and the kid is too old to march DCI but still could have done C2. Needless to say, their thoughts were less than pleasant about the insincerity, and in fact considered it on par with the old administrations incessant begging.

Good point... perhaps there could be an "under 22" and "over 22" list, for mailings tailored to those age groups. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

several were concerned about continued rumors to Open class in DCI as well.

i know the folks running YEA have the best intentions...i do not doubt that for a second. But I think a few PR things could have been handled better. C2 long had the "red headed step child" tag to some...and now kids feel it was true all along

I think no matter what they did there would be the critics. With that said we all also know C2 right from the beginning was never intended to be a forever thing. There was chatter every year if they would continue or not. It does suck if people attended a camp for next year thinking it was going forward and one would think IF it was a possibility they were NOT going out for 2019 an audition would have been held back until sure.

AS much as C2 was a vital part of DCA and certainly made a mark there This could be the smartest thing they are doing and streamlining cost and focus so that the bigger picture can continue to flourish and grow and maybe even the possibility of the C2 returning to DCA. It's not like DCA corps haven't done that before.

C2 will be missed in 2019 for sure.

4 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

It really is a shame. I know that the organization is trying very hard to right the ship in any way that it can. The corps lost in DCI and DCA over just the last few decades make me very sad. It's a great activity and one that I constantly encourage people to check out. When C2 first hit the scene, my selfish concern was that with the financial backing of Cadets, there would be an unstoppable power house in DCA and my corps (Corpsvets now CV) would end up having their growing momentum stalled. Again, it was selfish and in the moment...but it was an honest moment. Times change, younger people grow older and priorities become clear. Both corps fostered and I was happy to see it. 

I wish the former members and staff all the best on the next leg of their journey in Drum Corps. I hope C2 returns to the field if the situation is right. But the situation MUST be right for those kids. 

I remember a lot of the initial panic, I believe my comment was that "the pool is warm, jump on in". I figured that it wouldn't be as easy as some thought for them to just roll in there.

Took longer than many thought it would for them to get it on track. As much as I pushed hard on them in reviews, they never lacked effort and sincerity.  The one thing that frustrates me was that it was only starting  this season I felt the brass really sizzled and performed with aggression and confidence. If anything, I hope the brass caption head Mike Tanzos lands on his feet in a deserving place somewhere. A very, very, decent, smart, and likeable person.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FTNK said:

Is this going to annihilate recruitment?

1 hour ago, Brian Tuma said:

That’s a dramatic question. Annihilate? Like zero people are going to show up for the next camp?

It's a valid question.  Cadets have been leaning heavily on C2 in the past few seasons .  While those kids (most likely) will be available this year,  next season they most likely won't.  

Another interesting question:  where do those C kids go?  Do they march DCA at all or just look to audition in Open Class/ Lower Tier World class corps?  

If YEA were really interested in saving some dollars,  they should have kept C2 and put Cadets on a one year hiatus.  That would save far more dollars in a single season than 3 seasons of C2 suspension and would have kept that recruiting base alive.  

Edited by karuna
  • Confused 1