YEA suspends operations of Cadets 2 and Lays off 9 Employees

2 minutes ago, seen-it-all said:

From what I understand, this was more or less how it was the entire time they existed at YEA. A valuable experience for young people and an entertaining corps for audiences, for sure, but financially a loss for YEA each and every year. There have been rumblings about them being on the chopping block since year 1. I'm sad to see them go, but it really isn't much of a surprise, and considering YEA's current predicament, probably the smartest move.

I find it interesting how they could assess members about twice the amount of money that the next highest amount the other DCA corps assess and still lose money. Serious food for thought. This includes all the fees besides dues/tuition.

7 hours ago, BigW said:

I know at least for some people it was a step, Jim. Center Snare a couple of seasons ago did C2 before moving up to Cadets. Uncertain if his brother also went up to Cadets. Jeff I think can be more specific, but for percussion it seemed to be more successful in that way than Brass and Guard. C2's brass took a massive step up last season, and had they kept going, could have been a pretty tough customer in DCA in 2019.

all 3 sections had kids that went up over the corps time. And some went elsewhere or to other dca corps for a plethora of reasons

4 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Well put and I agree

ive read the statement and watched the video version a couple times now, also doing a bit of reading between the lines

they are seemingly taking a conservative approach and present a frank assessment of the situation

thinking long term vs quick bandaid solution

honest dialogue vs smoke and mirrors

its painful, very, to lose C2 - even short term

however the longer view they are apparently taking will serve the Cadets and YEA! best and is refreshing and reassuring to say the least 

I said it elsewhere, and i'll say it again...while it sucks to see c2 down, even if only for a time, the end all be all for all things YEA has been the Holy Name Garfield Cadets of Bergen County Sponsored by YEA from Allentown PA. In their current state, if it's not helping them, such as USBands, or keeping going to keep community ties and financial benefits like Xcape, it had to go. CWG and CWP were less about finances and more about personnel and other issues including perceived lack of success ( aka the guard). 

22 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

look....as much as this sucks, remember, YEA is and has always been all about one thing:

George Hopkins

edited for clarity...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Speaking of unclear purpose was C2 still operating with a maximum age limit? Think it was 25.

that had been waived on some occasions. and really so many DCA corps are younger today, so it wasn't substantially different than others in DCA. 

It was set up to be a feeder. Then, they came out good. Really you look at the placements from 2012-2018, only one other corps stayed in the top 6 annually during that time every year...Bucs, whose only title loss in that time was C2. Now I do know when it came to organization, C2 was an afterthought, especially as the season began administratively. The huge win for C2 was bringing in Rich Templin. Let's face it, Hop wasn't popular in DCA circles, and early on created some firestorms. the corps was welcomed however, and bringing Rich in gave C2 a tried and true DCA person known and trusted by all. Sadly Rich took the hit when everything exploded last April, and unfairly. He did right by the corps. He was especially helpful in getting the design team to understand what can and cant work on a DCA schedule. 

C2 does not get enough credit for the impact they made on DCA. They forced others to step up their game in many ways, and they influenced the on field product in several as well. I again get the business reasons. But it sucks. Big. And getting rained out last July didn't help them at all financially.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Sideways said:

edited for clarity...

kinda true, but money not funneled him went to the Cadets

2 hours ago, garfield said:

According to the 2016 990, revenue sourced to C-2 was $325,203, and expenses in that same program were $656,081.

Well, there's a quick savings of over $330,000 (in 2016 dollars) from shutting down C-2.

What you quote from their 2016 990 was not only C2 but  income and expenses for ALL performing ensembles. Which in 2016 I believe incuded Cadets, Cadets Perc. C2, and maybe Cadets Winter Guard.

Transportation for those groups was listed as a separate line item expense  total of 423,895 including 180,000 for charter bus rental

5 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

that had been waived on some occasions. and really so many DCA corps are younger today, so it wasn't substantially different than others in DCA. 

It was set up to be a feeder. Then, they came out good. Really you look at the placements from 2012-2018, only one other corps stayed in the top 6 annually during that time every year...Bucs, whose only title loss in that time was C2. Now I do know when it came to organization, C2 was an afterthought, especially as the season began administratively. The huge win for C2 was bringing in Rich Templin. Let's face it, Hop wasn't popular in DCA circles, and early on created some firestorms. the corps was welcomed however, and bringing Rich in gave C2 a tried and true DCA person known and trusted by all. Sadly Rich took the hit when everything exploded last April, and unfairly. He did right by the corps. He was especially helpful in getting the design team to understand what can and cant work on a DCA schedule. 

C2 does not get enough credit for the impact they made on DCA. They forced others to step up their game in many ways, and they influenced the on field product in several as well. I again get the business reasons. But it sucks. Big. And getting rained out last July didn't help them at all financially.

Rich did a magnificent job with the corps. 

For me, there is going to be a huge void in Williamsport next year.   No matter whose idea it was for C2, it was a great idea and I loved their mission:   To give The Cadets experience to those who couldn’t do junior corps for various reasons.   And their mission was an amazing success.  

I’m thankful that I got those seven seasons.   That’s all before I lose it. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, fsthnds said:

What you quote from their 2016 990 was not only C2 but  income and expenses for ALL performing ensembles. Which in 2016 I believe incuded Cadets, Cadets Perc. C2, and maybe Cadets Winter Guard.

Transportation for those groups was listed as a separate line item expense  total of 423,895 including 180,000 for charter bus rental

Not sure what you're saying here, but I'm pretty sure that income from All performing ensembles was considerably more than the $325m that I quoted.  See my reference in the next post to see where it's delineated in the 990.