DCI Tour Premier Detroit, MI - June 20, 2019

I generally enjoyed the shows, which were all rough. Also, just about all the pre-recorded voice needs to go.

The historical review of the six corps was a nice touch.

Before the next broadcast, they need to work with Dan Acheson about what he's there to say. He obviously is not capable of winging it.

Cool to see Legends get a shout-out and interview with Ibe Sodawalla.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lance said:

turns out the Bluecoats could learn a few things from SIR Paul McCartney. He knew how to maximize the use of a bass instrument, not just push a button for goo. 

Yes. Three times in my notes on Bloo I wrote, "too much bass synth". Was it as evident live as it was in the cinema?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NakedEye said:

Phantom: Not sure this will make finals. Doesn't seem a very mature design. If Spirit and Academy really bring it, they could be in trouble. 

This is a smart review -- but I'd feel safe betting on Phantom making Finals.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Yes. Three times in my notes on Bloo I wrote, "too much bass synth". Was it as evident live as it was in the cinema?

No. This was purely a cinema effect. Live it's perfectly balanced.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I really didn’t notice it at all live. I did notice  a large speaker array was parked right under a broadcast mic. That is probably the villain. 

The sound was terrible in my theater.  Since no one else has said anything, I will assume the problem was on the theater end.  That said, the prior show clips sounded better than the live shows, so that seems to point to the source but maybe there is some other explanation.

Just some random thoughts on the production and my local theater -- in Chattanooga.

Before we left to travel to the theater, I counted about 60 reserved seats on the theater website. By showtime, I guess we had around 100.  Too bad they didn't show it in the IMAX theater.  Seats were cushiony and rocked, but no recliners  

For us, the pit was way overbalanced with the brass. I've heard Crown's opening hit in a "sneak peak" video and it comes across way louder than tonight's broadcast. The overall volume level was acceptable.

The crowd did applaud during and after the performances.  Show favorites were Crown and Coats. Music City (just down the Interstate west) and Spirit (just down the Interstate south) got a big response when they were mentioned.

That's about it. I rarely critique the Corps' performances as those guys/gals are doing stuff I could only dream about. I enjoyed all the Corps. It's gonna be a great season!

• Like 4

Phantom Regiment: It's not easy to play the first note of the season.  Phantom gave me chills several times during this performance.  Great show.  Feels like a return to a style that suits them.  Brass sounds good.  Colorguard is very dynamic and athletic.  Love the fire effect with the flags at the end!  Say what you want... I think Phantom is staying in Finals if they keep up the good work this season.  They came out ready.

Edited by Ediker
  • Like 2

Blue Stars: thoroughly enjoyed their show.  Beautiful props.  There is so much that is very well thought out in the design.  People may be criticizing the costumes/uniforms.  They had a unique look on the field, in a good way.  Like last year, it's their showmanship that is going to shine through everything else.  Musically, they sold it.  Colorguard was memorable.  Looking forward to watching this show evolve.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, wigwam said:

crown won music, brass, and GE2

Coats took GE1 and overall GE.   

I'd post recap if I could figure out how to do it.    

Bloo won percussion.  They essentially split the sheet with Bloo having the edge in GE over Music.