How do the Cadets right the ship?

29 minutes ago, ThePlanets said:

Santa Clara was behind from 05-10 buy they just climbed back up and won last year.

Yeah I very distinctly remember a conversation here in 2010 in which someone was referring to DCI's "elite" corps (probably in reference to the G7 controversy), and the response from someone else was: "Is SVC still elite?"

• Like 1

A couple of thoughts:

1)Who would have thought bringing in a WGI Percussion designer would come up with a WGI Percussion show.

2)Making the centerpiece of the show the assault of a women makes me want to throw up and is just the stupidest idea to distant this corps from

it's previous director.

3)Why is Tom Aungst even with the corps? He marched 81-84 and was on staff for decades. Isn't someone like that too close for comfort to the previous director, just because of the optics?

4)Manic Pixie Dream Ballerina Monarch? Why have the queen character in lite brown? I get it story-wise, but visually it's like playing the worst game of Where's Waldo ever.

5)The doxology of the Maslanka implies some sort of Divine Right of Leadership that she takes back at the end, but as a Parliamentary Democracy(Are the three others at the end the Prime Minister, etc...?) And NO TROMBONES played the theme? Missed opportunity. Big time.

6)They probably should have just done Avon HS Symphony 4 show from 2017. That's the textbook show to transition to a new era.

Edited by Minimaster
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

Honestly... I think this is it.

And for the love of all things maroon and gold... don't write any shows about social/ethical issues for about the next 5 years.

Maybe they should try a show about angels and demons. I think that would work pretty well 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

Honestly... I think this is it.

And for the love of all things maroon and gold... don't write any shows about social/ethical issues for about the next 5 years.

👏👏👏👏

Because it’s starting to seem like “you know who” is living rent-free in their heads.

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

There’s nothing fundamentally wrong here. The show design this year is better than last years. They are doing what they need to do. IF they ever return to the top 3 it is going to take many many years if not a decade or more. We’ll see but it’s not as easy to move up as it used to be (BAC 2016 to 2017 is likely never to happen again).

1 hour ago, dans said:

Not a fan of Gino.

Well I am. People underestimate the power Gino has to motivate. I mean just listen to Boston. They are doing incredibly well. He came to us in 2000 and change the vibe of the entire corps. I would LOVE for Cadets to have Gino back, but I don't see that happening as it looks as though he is happy with Boston. I am happy for him. 

47 minutes ago, Minimaster said:

A couple of thoughts:

3)Why is Tom Aungst even with the corps? He marched 81-84 and was on staff for decades. Isn't someone like that to close for comfort to the previous director, just because of the optics?

This is such a ridiculous statement. Punish Tom because of the actions of his boss at the time? So if you had a friend who committed a crime, should you also be held to blame because you were friends with him? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, ThePlanets said:

Santa Clara was behind from 05-10 buy they just climbed back up and won last year.

That’s right. But - after 2004 it looked like SCV was back in a winning position, then 2005 happened. In 2008, they started assembling the right team, and it took 10 years to get back into the top 3, 11 to win. That’s what I’ve been saying for months with regards to the Cadets. It’s going to take years or a decade or more for them to get back into the top 3, if they ever do. 

If you told me 10 years ago that Cadets were going to finish 8th, Regiment would be fighting for finals, and Madison fighting to hold on to 16th place in 2019, I would have thought you were crazy. 

It’s going to be a very long road for the Cadets. I think this show is a lot better than last years. I think this show is better than the final products in 2016 and 2017. Such a shame about 2017, because they had a beautiful show at the start of the season and literally every change they made had a negative impact, and the final product was worse than what they started with.

14 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

Well I am. People underestimate the power Gino has to motivate. I mean just listen to Boston. They are doing incredibly well. He came to us in 2000 and change the vibe of the entire corps. I would LOVE for Cadets to have Gino back, but I don't see that happening as it looks as though he is happy with Boston. I am happy for him. 

This is such a ridiculous statement. Punish Tom because of the actions of his boss at the time? So if you had a friend who committed a crime, should you also be held to blame because you were friends with him? 

Devils advocate here, how do people know whether he knew about GH's crimes (or had serious suspicions/reservations) and never said anything? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cappybara said:

Devils advocate here, how do people know whether he knew about GH's crimes (or had serious suspicions/reservations) and never said anything? 

Unless he was tried in a court of law and it was proven that he DID know, I am presuming he didn't. He shouldn't be found guilty of anything in the court of public opinion. 

• Thanks 2