How do the Cadets right the ship?

6 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Cadets haven’t won a championship in the classic M&G since 2000

Ok I was off yesterday because of my weird work schedule and I can tell this is my Monday...

finally figured out M&G 😫

• Haha 3

43 minutes ago, exitmusic said:

Right, and we don't have one outside of what we wear. OK, maybe "the corps that steps off on the right foot," but that's about it. Maybe "the corps that doesn't design shows very well, so then makes wholesale changes with three weeks to go that end up making the show worse."

If I think back to the Garfield of the 80s, I don't remember this angst about identity. Sure, there was a history that came with being the nation's oldest corps. Sure the uniform was iconic. But they won their audience and their first DCI championships by hiring some great staff, breaking some of the design "rules" of the day, creating exciting shows, and applying an incredible work ethic to achieve those shows. They definitely weren't saying "let's keep doing what Garfield did in the 70s"!

Has BD tarnished their 1976 title by doing a 2019 show that would have been unthinkable back then, and wearing uniforms that nobody from 1976 would recognize? Or have they honored it by displaying the same commitment to excellence more than 4 decades later?

• Like 4

23 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Hold on - YOU are the one who posted the claim that various alumni tore apart YEA then didn’t stick around to rebuild. Then when you are asked if this is really true, you want to punt the question to someone else?  So, is your claim completely made up?  

This individual hasn't posted a thoughtful, insightful response to any challenge since they appeared on the board on the DCA end. I have no clue if they're an outright Cream-of-Wheat-Brain that has no clue how thoughtless and insulting they've been or smart but just outright trolling. If they were a performer with any corps... I also believe they didn't learn any real lessons from membership there. On the DCA side of things, I believe they've insulted some of my corps mates, their spouses, and my Dad and on broader terms, people with mobility issues and the elderly.

So, don't expect anything too intelligent in return.

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, ShortAndFast said:

If I think back to the Garfield of the 80s, I don't remember this angst about identity. Sure, there was a history that came with being the nation's oldest corps. Sure the uniform was iconic. But they won their audience and their first DCI championships by hiring some great staff, breaking some of the design "rules" of the day, creating exciting shows, and applying an incredible work ethic to achieve those shows. They definitely weren't saying "let's keep doing what Garfield did in the 70s"!

Has BD tarnished their 1976 title by doing a 2019 show that would have been unthinkable back then, and wearing uniforms that nobody from 1976 would recognize? Or have they honored it by displaying the same commitment to excellence more than 4 decades later?

I think you bring up a strong point. There were Garfield shirts in the early 80's with the motto "BEYOND TRADITION" flying about. New traditions were established in many ways. 

I've thought about the several individuals I got to know from that corps in college whom I deeply respect. If the Cadets 'tradition' is to develop people who can pass on the positives they've learned through their experiences in the corps by being dynamic and positive educators, that's a definite keeper.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, skevinp said:

... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?

Concrete. Arches. :innocent:

Edited by BigW

Here is corps identity today:  copy last year’s champion. 

When Bluecoats won in ‘16 with costumes, we all knew within a mere season or two, all corps would be wearing costumes. And that’s but one example. Going vertical with props. Check. Electronic sampling. Check. Singing. Mic’d hornlines. Thunderous goo. Check. Check. Check. 

Corps identity today is - they are pretty much all the same. Which I personally find very boring. 

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

Oh it would work! Lol 

Works for the Cavies, from what I understand... their "traditional" awards ceremony uniform for Finals night. A nice touch, IMO.

Edited by Fran Haring

23 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Going vertical with props.

I find this one interesting. Zingali discussed trying to add more of a third dimensional plane to the visual aspect of the shows in a clinic I attended in 1984. I believe all of his work afterwards involved that idea with the use of various guard props, etc. Some of those items now are the realizations of his initial ideas from that time, I think.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, ShortAndFast said:

I hear that.

And as long as I can remember, going back to my early days with drum corps in a bygone era (being charitable to myself here :laughing:)... Cadets have always been "different"... even pre-DCI, pre-Hopkins/Zingali/etc., pre-whenever.  

The Peace Sign visual during the Vietnam era (believe me, that stirred up its share of controversy, there just wasn't an Internet to fan the flames...LOL)... the 1971 theme show with the librettos distributed to the audience to explain the concept (first time I ever remember anyone doing that) , the corps wearing capes over their uniforms before and after performances ostensibly to keep the unis clean, even though no other corps was doing that, including those with similarly iconic uniforms... just a few examples.

They were "cutting edge" any number of times. Perhaps they'll be there again.

• Like 2