How do the Cadets right the ship?

And in mid 70s had guard playing horns at final drive of the closer and of course.... “Amen”.... (should have taken the penalty at Finals and done it)

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Here is corps identity today:  copy last year’s champion. 

When Bluecoats won in ‘16 with costumes, we all knew within a mere season or two, all corps would be wearing costumes. And that’s but one example. Going vertical with props. Check. Electronic sampling. Check. Singing. Mic’d hornlines. Thunderous goo. Check. Check. Check. 

Corps identity today is - they are pretty much all the same. Which I personally find very boring. 

Bloo 16 is certainly a great example of leading the activity. They zigged, and now everybody else is trying to zig with varying levels of success.

The further down the ranks you place, the fewer options other than "copy the leaders" are available IMO. You could say that Bloo had earned the right to zig. If they had finished 10th in 2015, I don't think everybody would have tried to copy their costumes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MikeN said:

Boo.  That would never work.  Seriously?  

Mike

Cavaliers do it well and even wear the classic green at Finals Retreat.  Wearing it while they played Somewhere at St. Monica's for Don Warren's funeral tied all those Gearheads together from 1948 to today, even those years when Cavies wore blue (their original color.)

2 hours ago, ShortAndFast said:

Bloo 16 is certainly a great example of leading the activity. They zigged, and now everybody else is trying to zig with varying levels of success.

The further down the ranks you place, the fewer options other than "copy the leaders" are available IMO. You could say that Bloo had earned the right to zig. If they had finished 10th in 2015, I don't think everybody would have tried to copy their costumes.

But Bluecoats pull it off because they have the total design vision. When you wear silly uniforms because you can, it doesn’t work. It’s...silly.

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Here is corps identity today:  copy last year’s champion. 

When Bluecoats won in ‘16 with costumes, we all knew within a mere season or two, all corps would be wearing costumes. And that’s but one example. Going vertical with props. Check. Electronic sampling. Check. Singing. Mic’d hornlines. Thunderous goo. Check. Check. Check. 

Corps identity today is - they are pretty much all the same. Which I personally find very boring. 

...and there were people on here from one particular corps denying what you've written here happens; and they were denying it for ages....  Now they're gone ( most of them).

I feel that it is those who don't care about the activity and just want to do what they want to do and leave...

Cadets can no longer do what they did and be "elite". They have to follow everyone else, just like the rest of the corps do.

Edited by jjeffeory

56 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

...and there were people on here from one particular corps denying what you've written here happens; and they were denying it for ages....  Now they're gone ( most of them).

I feel that it is those who don't care about the activity and just want to do what they want to do and leave...

Cadets can no longer do what they did and be "elite". They have to follow everyone else, just like the rest of the corps do.

There is no reason Cadets cannot again be innovative and lead.  They won't do it looking over their shoulder, or at others.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

Cadets have failed not because they were traditional, or because they were avant-garde, but because their show concepts were not good concerts. When you start with a bad idea, there’s no amount of execution that makes it a good idea.

There’s no costumes that make it work, no arrangements to make it work, no videos that make it work, and no redesign that makes it work.

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

I hear that.

And as long as I can remember, going back to my early days with drum corps in a bygone era (being charitable to myself here :laughing:)... Cadets have always been "different"... even pre-DCI, pre-Hopkins/Zingali/etc., pre-whenever.  

The Peace Sign visual during the Vietnam era (believe me, that stirred up its share of controversy, there just wasn't an Internet to fan the flames...LOL)... the 1971 theme show with the librettos distributed to the audience to explain the concept (first time I ever remember anyone doing that) , the corps wearing capes over their uniforms before and after performances ostensibly to keep the unis clean, even though no other corps was doing that, including those with similarly iconic uniforms... just a few examples.

They were "cutting edge" any number of times. Perhaps they'll be there again.

Plus the poster we passed out in 1972, highlighting our "No More War" show.

1971%20Garfield%20Cadets%20Poster-04060.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MikeRapp said:

Cadets have failed not because they were traditional, or because they were avant-garde, but because their show concepts were not good concerts. When you start with a bad idea, there’s no amount of execution that makes it a good idea.

There’s no costumes that make it work, no arrangements to make it work, no videos that make it work, and no redesign that makes it work.

I'll argue that X or Power of Ten show was a terrible concept, but they did alright.

Though the winds of change were already in the air....

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MikeD said:

Plus the poster we passed out in 1972, highlighting our "No More War" show.

1971%20Garfield%20Cadets%20Poster-04060.

Ahead of its time, for sure.

• Like 1