Murfreesboro, TN - Friday, July 26, 2019

3 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

This takes the cake for my favorite DCP show review ever 

I’ve never been a Beatles fan. Still not a Beatles fan. But I love how BC just decides to do a fun show. There’s no death, no beheadings, no burning at the stake, no drownings, no Mad Max. 

I think a future of DCI that is twice as big as it is now looks a lot more like Bluecoats than most all of the other shows. Call it band if you like but they put on shows that you want to see.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

but they put on shows that you want to see.

They usually do but not this year for me

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MikeRapp said:

This year, for the first time, I have begun to realize that the essence of DCI isn’t winning medals. The VAST majority of these kids go into training camp knowing they aren’t winning a medal this season. And the instructors are really here to give these kids an intense internship in music performance, not force them to perform at a level that “beats” everyone else.

Im less interested in who wins than I have been in the past. I just don’t get into living vicariously through teenagers playing musical instruments for 10 weeks. 

I realize that one of the basic ideas of DCI is scoring. Without scores it would in fact be a lot less compelling. But I’d rather not be picking apart tenths of a point every night to see how my favorite crops can beat another corps.

The year I was planning on marching with Colts was the first year they ever made finals. That’s what I would have wanted to experience more than anything and one of the only regrets of my life. Those kids new they weren’t going to win, but I bet they’ll never forget being part of something special, regardless of placement, really. And it’s probably the same for many corps members. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

I’ve never been a Beatles fan. Still not a Beatles fan. But I love how BC just decides to do a fun show. There’s no death, no beheadings, no burning at the stake, no drownings, no Mad Max. 

I think a future of DCI that is twice as big as it is now looks a lot more like Bluecoats than most all of the other shows. Call it band if you like but they put on shows that you want to see.

I think the 'college band' statement is mostly about the perception of theme rather than content.

By that measure, there are several Cavalier shows that fit the criteria.

It comes down to how some people view 'the Beatles' as a worthy enterprise for drumcorps.

Personally, I'm game for anything that can be made to work... especially if it addresses the audience at large.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ajlemm said:

The year I was planning on marching with Colts was the first year they ever made finals. That’s what I would have wanted to experience more than anything and one of the only regrets of my life. Those kids new they weren’t going to win, but I bet they’ll never forget being part of something special, regardless of placement, really. And it’s probably the same for many corps members. 

I was thrilled to make finals bottom tier both times.   

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

You forgot no spearings.

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

This year, for the first time, I have begun to realize that the essence of DCI isn’t winning medals. The VAST majority of these kids go into training camp knowing they aren’t winning a medal this season. And the instructors are really here to give these kids an intense internship in music performance, not force them to perform at a level that “beats” everyone else.

Im less interested in who wins than I have been in the past. I just don’t get into living vicariously through teenagers playing musical instruments for 10 weeks. 

I realize that one of the basic ideas of DCI is scoring. Without scores it would in fact be a lot less compelling. But I’d rather not be picking apart tenths of a point every night to see how my favorite crops can beat another corps.

What crops do you have? Peppers, cucumber, carrots, or lettuce :laughing:

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Guilty as charged MR.  It may take some doing to stop looking at caption results and just enjoy the few corps I enjoy watching currently.  That group has shrunk in recent years.

• Thanks 2