Centerville, OH - Monday, July 29, 2019

The BD brass line is MUCH improved I’d say in the last 9 days. I was really expecting a less mature sound last night at NightBEAT but it was everything the BD hornline has always been. Won’t win the ott probably but it’s good!

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

I asked this earlier and no one knew. How, exactly, is a “content” score set?

"Content" is generally what the performers are being asked to do, in terms of difficulty, complexity, variety, etc.

Content scores increase throughout the season as the performers get better and the details / nuances become identifiable, allowing the judges to credit those details / nuances in the content score where previously the details / nuances might not have been apparent. 

Not sure if this helps.

• Like 5

drum judge is a hack ( love ya TM!)

1 hour ago, ThirdValvesAreForWimps said:

I was high up and on the 50 in Centerville and yes, Blue Devils won brass fair and square; percussion too.  The Bluecoats are terrific this year but their brass book isn’t as hard as the Blue Devils’ brass book. 

I was, as well. Opposite Day. Bloo’s tough stuff is better than the Bird & Bella ‘18. BD does have some great licks, too. And I get it now: anything more than an 8th note, and BD stops moving. 🤔🤭

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, MikeRapp said:

I asked this earlier and no one knew. How, exactly, is a “content” score set?

The judge looks at what the performers are being asked to do, such as depth of the book, range of skills, responsibilities, and challenges. The judge then places the corps in a "box" based on how demanding they find the book, so to speak. Each box has a scoring range, so there's essentially a ceiling on how many points you can get. Theoretically, if a corps made no changes to their percussion book they'd have the same content score all summer long, regardless of their performance. But it doesn't really work that way, as there is a comparison element to it too, as the judge also factors in your spread between the bottom caption (achievement) and the others corps in the competition. So the first corps to compete will set the bar from which the spread will go up or down. Unfortunately, the two sub-captions aren't that independent as some would like.

I glossed over a bit, but that's essentially the gist of it.

Edited by dcsnare93
  • Thanks 1

Haha saying BlueDevils don't move🤣 Bluecoats are kneeling or sitting down for more sets than the move larger than 8 to 5. When they do any form of simultaneous difficulty, which is not a lot, they're barely moving 8 to 5 a lot of the time smaller. Smh dissing Blue Devils visual... when anyone else's leg shape comes close to the Devils then you can talk. 

44 minutes ago, Tad_MMA said:

I was, as well. Opposite Day. Bloo’s tough stuff is better than the Bird & Bella ‘18. BD does have some great licks, too. And I get it now: anything more than an 8th note, and BD stops moving. 🤔🤭

Just got back. Just seeing scores. Both Blues are very good. Both have room to grow. Who will win the championship?

Buster_Keaton_Sybil_Seely_The_Boat_scree

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, cfirwin3 said:

The scores are tight man.  'Best' is highly circumstantial right now.

My comment was intentionally over the top.  I looked up the word "hyperbole" and thought I would give it a try.  

9 hours ago, soccerguy315 said:

Content scores increase throughout the season as the performers get better and the details / nuances become identifiable, allowing the judges to credit those details / nuances in the content score where previously the details / nuances might not have been apparent. 

This is a very interesting statement that plays right into what I was saying earlier in the year about Bluecoats "costumes" 

The fact that they are not "uniform" hides dirt really well.  It also hides cleanliness.  The movement will never look as clean when each body looks different compared to a matching uniform.