Will DCA be around in 5 years?

Will DCA be around in 5 years?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Will DCA be around in 5 years?

• Yes
    • No

Attendance was much lower than any other Rochester year.  Downstairs it seemed the center three sections had a pretty good sized crowd but beyond that, not much.

Crowd extended a little further out upstairs.

Also need to take into consideration that in some of the 2006-2011 rochester years, that finals crowd and late prelims crowd would be filled in with corps who didnt make finals, which made the crowd bigger.  

Weather was a factor depending on what you liked.  If you didn't like the heat, Saturday was rough as it was sunny and pushing 90.  If you didn't like fall weather, Sunday was rough as it was low 60's, breezy, and rain towards the end.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, C.Holland said:

Otherwise it would have been the same 2 and one variation getting tin and scraps for the rest. 

that’s not better 

there's pros and cons. IMO it can take away the incentive to add more bodies to give more people opportunities...the desire to win can be more important

6 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Anyone have any idea what the attendance was at the shows in Rochester? (I don't. Just asking.) 

Kinda the bottom line here. 

nothing official will get announced i am sure

• Like 2

6 hours ago, traverbanking said:

World Class - 86-128 members

Open Class - 65-85 members

Class A - 26-64 members

Thank you. Was interested as old lower limit was started at 35. I remember the reasons why and agreed with some. Saw the first few corps on Box5 and huh?. Glad DCA re-evaluated with COVID lowering member numbers.

• Like 1

It seems to me that DCA has the corps members that want to do the "DCI Lite" thing. All that DCA has to do now, is find an audience that wants to buy tickets to see "DCI Lite". And if you're going to go in that direction, move DCA championships to a date that accommodates "DCI Lite" participants.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, hairbear said:

It seems to me that DCA has the corps members that want to do the "DCI Lite" thing. All that DCA has to do now, is find an audience that wants to buy tickets to see "DCI Lite". And if you're going to go in that direction, move DCA championships to a date that accommodates "DCI Lite" participants.

so you mean long term planning and a marketing strategy

6 hours ago, hairbear said:

Precisely. At a minimum, a marketing effort beyond occasional Facebook posts would seem to be a logical step.

yup. but what do we know

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/14/2022 at 5:53 AM, hairbear said:

There needs to be more effort made, as that circuit seems to be dying.

My partner and I went to championships for the first time in 10 years ( for me) where we met a good friend for prelims. 

We sat through prelims.

...and then for finals came for the last 4 or so groups. The value proposition just wasn't there.

This needs to be "an event". There needs to be some hype. There needs to be some energy and excitement built up for the show other than some rude old man yelling "F off" to another fan in the middle of Cab's show. 

Seriously, an old man with white hair, who was obviously rooting for Cabs got a bit too excited with the cheering. At first, I was like "Cool, he's happy and cheering Cabs". Then when he verbally assaulted the  person sitting two seats away, I was really offended. It really ruined the night, even after the jerk and his wife left.  They didn't come back the next night either....

...so yeah, some effort needs to be put into making DCA Championships exciting and an event.

Also, the corps need to step up. Hopefully they can recover.  My partner and I are really on the fence about marching next year too, but we didn't really feel a pull or welcoming into DCAland.

• Like 1