If COVID-19 shuts down 2020 tour

2 hours ago, Ghost said:

This break in the action is brought to you by moi.

The Rules

1. LEARN TO WORK THE TOILET SEAT. YOU'RE A BIG GIRL. IF IT'S UP, PUT IT DOWN. WE NEED IT UP, YOU NEED IT DOWN. YOU DON'T HEAR US COMPLAINING ABOUT YOU LEAVING IT DOWN. 

This always bugged the crap (so to speak) out of me. There’s a lid on the toilet seat. Why is it there? It should always be down when not in use. That makes the seat argument moot. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Good God, just do it in June or July.  The convention isn’t until August. 

The president said yesterday that the crisis might last until July, August, or even later.

And we have to wonder what to do if the epidemic diminishes in the summer and then comes roaring back in the fall.

That's what happened with the Spanish Flu (which apparently was actually from Kansas not Spain).

Postpone the general election?

The solution is probably for all states to switch to vote-by-mail.

Edit: Some interesting new graphs from the Imperial College Response Team (in Great Britain), for instance:

ETUeX8jXkAEoFPy?format=jpg&name=small

That chart shows what they believe will happen if both countries do nothing: 55,000 deaths per day at the peak.

That said, both countries are belatedly taking measures, and here's what they forecast, based on various measurs, as the number of ICU beds needed:

ETUgKToXgAEOb-j?format=jpg&name=small

That's just the chart for the UK, but a U.S. chart would look similar.

See that red line at the bottom?

That's the current ICU capacity.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/sph/ide/gida-fellowships/Imperial-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Brian Tuma said:

This always bugged the crap (so to speak) out of me. There’s a lid on the toilet seat. Why is it there? It should always be down when not in use. That makes the seat argument moot. 

If you have the slow close ones, they’re easy to close.  You barely touch it. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Ohio postponed until June, but only at the very last minute after the governor saw how long the early-voting lines were over the weekend.

————

On the whole, I'm very impressed by Gov. DeWine's efforts, but this wasn't managed well.

We are in the midst of an unbelievable disruption to our lives. Things are changing on a daily, no hourly, basis. People are being forced to make big decisions on their feet with little time to think it through. I think in this situation we should give a lot of latitude to people. Not managed well is, in my opinion, a given. And should not be held against anyone. He got to the right answer. 

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, HockeyDad said:

We are in the midst of an unbelievable disruption to our lives. Things are changing on a daily, no hourly, basis. People are being forced to make big decisions on their feet with little time to think it through. I think in this situation we should give a lot of latitude to people. Not managed well is, in my opinion, a given. And should not be held against anyone. He got to the right answer. 

I think Governor Dewine did the right thing.  Governor Pritzker, OTOH... 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HockeyDad said:

Again, I didn't vote for him, because we disagree on policy, but on management --this one fumble aside-- I think he's been aces.

His opponent in the last election probably would have taken all the same measures. However, for reasons that I won't get into, it's probably better for the state and the country that Gov. DeWine is the one making these hard calls and thus giving other states someone to catch up with.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

I get tired of this. You’ve been told to put the lid on the politics. I say our leaders are doing a great job while under constant, never-ending assault from a nasty, lying media. Now, I hope your post and mine both get removed by a mod. 

Huh? I maintain that cixelsyd was absolutely right, and garfield was absolutely wrong, about the management of the woodwind proposals by DCI's leadership.

That's not a political comment.

And let's be clear: it would not political for me to say that one government leader is doing a good job protecting us.

And it would not be political for me to say that another government leader is doing a poor job protecting us.

(Particularly if both those people are in the same party.)

Edited by N.E. Brigand

i'll type this slowly and loudly so people may understand this

LEAVE

THE

#######

POLITICAL

STUFF

OUT

OF 

THIS

PLACE

Thank you

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, garfield said:

Interesting.  I'd never thought of his comments this way until just this minute.  I'd always considered an absentee ballot as a measure of me doing my civic duty when I knew ahead of time that I was going to be otherwise disposed on election day.  I'd never considered voting early because there might be a global pandemic that may prevent me from doing so.  This judge is an idiot based on your description (which I trust).  And, if someone wants to pile on that he has an (R) after his name, then I'll call him an idiot (R) just the same.  The election HAD to be postponed.  Fairness demanded it, period.  By State decree of emergency.  

Washington?  Civilized?  Mail?  Your opinion, 100%.  Mine, 0%  Go figure.  Heh.

What’s the law for absentee voting in OH. Think here you have to send in the ballots way before Election Day so they are on hand when everyone else votes. Even a week ago it didn’t look that bad that voting would be a major health concern. Yeah judge goes by what’s written and not common sense so duhhhhz

Just now, garfield said:

Interesting.  I'd never thought of his comments this way until just this minute.  I'd always considered an absentee ballot as a measure of me doing my civic duty when I knew ahead of time that I was going to be otherwise disposed on election day.  I'd never considered voting early because there might be a global pandemic that may prevent me from doing so.  This judge is an idiot based on your description (which I trust).  And, if someone wants to pile on that he has an (R) after his name, then I'll call him an idiot (R) just the same.  The election HAD to be postponed.  Fairness demanded it, period.  By State decree of emergency.  

Washington?  Civilized?  Mail?  Your opinion, 100%.  Mine, 0%  Go figure.  Heh.

To be fair, I only heard about the judge's ruling second hand, and for all I know, he or she is generally inclined against the judiciary interfering in the business of the legislature.

The judge didn't rule against the Secretary of State's decision, only against the lawsuit. It's all moot now anyway.

But we do need to think ahead about what to do in November.