Mr. Acheson--it's time.

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

Trapped in the house and putting up with nonsense.  Fun times. 

could be finals week

30 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

"Pulling off the band-aid" means condemning many thousands to death. And I don't think that's hyperbole.

Our hospital system is not prepared for a situation in which we "pull off the band-aid".

In northern Italy they were overwhelmed and hospitals were turning people away who could have been saved if there was enough capacity. The death rate would be much lower there if they'd taken aggressive action early.

Gar is pulling your chain to get a reaction. And he succeeded. He’s a smart boy and understands we don’t want to overwhelm the medical system. 

Just now, HockeyDad said:

Positions aren’t allowed to evolve?  What is your point?  Are you trying to win the internet?

To the degree that I have might have any influence at all in this little corner of the internet, I just hope to get people to face facts about a life-threatening situation.

It would have been AWESOME if I had been wrong. I'd like nothing better.

Just now, N.E. Brigand said:

To the degree that I have might have any influence at all in this little corner of the internet, I just hope to get people to face facts about a life-threatening situation.

It would have been AWESOME if I had been wrong. I'd like nothing better.

Who that is participating in this forum is not facing facts?  And I’m not talking about something someone may have said Feb.1. I’m talking about today. 

Just now, N.E. Brigand said:

Here's an attempt to do the same on a larger scale, from Bill Gates:

"There really is no middle ground, and it’s very tough to say to people, ‘Hey, keep going to restaurants, go buy new houses, ignore that pile of bodies over in the corner. We want you to keep spending because there’s maybe ... GDP growth is all that counts. It’s very irresponsible ... to suggest that we can have the best of both worlds."

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

"Pulling off the band-aid" means condemning many thousands to death. And I don't think that's hyperbole.

Our hospital system is not prepared for a situation in which we "pull off the band-aid".

In northern Italy they were overwhelmed and hospitals were turning people away who could have been saved if there was enough capacity. The death rate would be much lower there if they'd taken aggressive action early.

In northern Italy they hosted plane loads of Wuhan workers in the garment district and kept shipping them all during December and January when China was trying to suppress the news getting out. The virus had a nearly two month unfettered head start in Milan.

We don’t have that in the US because we shut down travel from China almost immediately.  Even we didn’t know the Milan story until c-19 landed in NYC. 

That, and many other factors that are dismissed for not meeting the narrative, blow a huge hole in both the shape of the US bell curve AND the presumption of the terminal affliction rate and death rate..

#flattenthecurve (bwahahaha!) will kill more poor people in the US than C-19 will kill brainless (and relatively rich) spring breakers.

Edited by garfield

17 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Understood I was ribbing the idea that all this social distancing and other precautions were so CDC could get more samples. 

Do you understand that the idea you were ribbing was the ribbing of another idea?

51 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

One of the criteria for “elite” status is based on ability to pay. That in itself eliminates a large percentage of participation. Regional model might correct that. Doesn’t mean qualify performers diminish.  

fewer corps in some regions, so that doesn't necessarily offset travel costs

1 minute ago, skevinp said:

Do you understand that the idea you were ribbing was the ribbing of another idea?

Now I am missing Winking Lizard ribs.

• Haha 1