Does no WGI = no DCI for 2021 (Hypothetical)?

3 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

- This is a drum corps site.  Here, we deal in top 12s, not top 10s.  At the time of your post, New York and Michigan were 11th and 12th on your cherry-picked list.  Interesting that you chose to cut off at 10.

It all goes back to how many deaths you can fit onto both sides of the album.

19 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I don't know whether they did or didn't. I do know that these are the ten states (districts, territories, etc.) with the highest per capita deaths due to Covid-19 in nursing homes:

1. Massachusetts

2. New Jersey

3. Connecticut

4. Rhode Island

5. District of Columbia

6. Mississippi

7. Pennsylvania

8. Maryland

9. Arizona

10. Delaware

source: https://data.cms.gov/Special-Programs-Initiatives-COVID-19-Nursing-Home/Resident-Average-Deaths-per-1-000-Residents/ps29-t4uv

Texas and Florida are down in the middle of the pack.

For unknown reasons, four states are under investigation by the Dept. of Justice regarding how nursing homes in their states handled Covid-19: Michigan, New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania, though two of them don't even make the top ten. I wonder what those states did wrong that Arizona and Mississippi, for example, supposedly did right.

Noticed this and need to add some info as never did get a clear answer other places. My understanding is PA told the nursing homes they could not keep CV patients out. But (piece many don’t know) it is standard practice for insurance companies to send hospital patients to nursing homes or rehab centers for long term care. As soon as the patient no longer needs hospital care but is too weak to be at home, they go to a nursing home or rehab until they are strong enough. And the insurance company determines which homes the patient could go to (IOW how good of a place). So from what I can tell, the state said open the doors but the insurance companies did the actually transferring from hospital to nursing homes.

Live near 3 nursing homes and 2 have a crappy reputation and the number of CV cases show this. One claimed to have put CV patients in a separate “wing”. Knowing the place from in laws being there, the “wing” is a frigging hallway. 

Blame should be places all around but doubting the state should get 100% of it. 

• Thanks 3

55 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Noticed this and need to add some info as never did get a clear answer other places. My understanding is PA told the nursing homes they could not keep CV patients out. But (piece many don’t know) it is standard practice for insurance companies to send hospital patients to nursing homes or rehab centers for long term care. As soon as the patient no longer needs hospital care but is too weak to be at home, they go to a nursing home or rehab until they are strong enough. And the insurance company determines which homes the patient could go to (IOW how good of a place). So from what I can tell, the state said open the doors but the insurance companies did the actually transferring from hospital to nursing homes.

Live near 3 nursing homes and 2 have a crappy reputation and the number of CV cases show this. One claimed to have put CV patients in a separate “wing”. Knowing the place from in laws being there, the “wing” is a frigging hallway. 

Blame should be places all around but doubting the state should get 100% of it. 

The problem with what happened in NJ was that there were alternative facilities available (Javitz Center,USS Comfort) other then Nursing Homes or other Long Term Care Facilities to transfer Covid patients,that were never used.

What's also upsetting people is the fact that Governor Murphy has refused to address why the sate didn't take advantage of these options.

Edited by rpbobcat
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Noticed this and need to add some info as never did get a clear answer other places. My understanding is PA told the nursing homes they could not keep CV patients out.

So to recap - in Pennsylvania, state government told nursing homes that they must keep visitors out... but they must NOT keep CV patients out.

.tsrif ytefaS

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

So to recap - in Pennsylvania, state government told nursing homes that they must keep visitors out... but they must NOT keep CV patients out.

.tsrif ytefaS

That's how I read it also. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

.tsrif ytefaS

That’s what I have read from people posting as have not seen details from the state. Like NJ, PA does not give details on the decisions made and IMO making things harder on themselves. CV was apparently passed from the CV “wing” to non CV “wings” by staff. 
The last sentence is my take as number of staff cases were also horrible. 

Of course next unanswerable question is: where should the patients recovering from CV go if all they needed was bed rest to regain their strength? 

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

That’s what I have read from people posting as have not seen details from the state. Like NJ, PA does not give details on the decisions made and IMO making things harder on themselves. CV was apparently passed from the CV “wing” to non CV “wings” by staff. 
The last sentence is my take as number of staff cases were also horrible. 

Of course next unanswerable question is: where should the patients recovering from CV go if all they needed was bed rest to regain their strength? 

Glad you are back Jim!

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Continental said:

Glad you are back Jim!

Thank buddy. Not going to get into other discussions but having inside info on patients being sent from hospital to nursing home felt I had to speak up. Saw it few times with in laws and mom. And dealt with it personally few years ago. “Personally “ as it was a person under my insurance so I could nail the insurer with questions until I understood how f’ed we were. Never realized this was possible let alone being done so a hard lesson... and a hard le$$on....

Ended up almost a month in hospital and two months in a home that has had a bad reputation for decades. When someone buys a home and first thing they do is change the name.... rut roh.... And just down right creepy that the county coroners office is right behind the place. If anyone saw the DiscoveryID series “I Speak For The Dead” from years back... that office

Edited by JimF-LowBari

4 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

timeThank buddy. Not going to get into other discussions but having inside info on patients being sent from hospital to nursing home felt I had to speak up. Saw it few times with in laws and mom. And dealt with it personally few years ago. “Personally “ as it was a person under my insurance so I could nail the insurer with questions until I understood how f’ed we were. Never realized this was possible let alone being done so a hard lesson... and a hard le$$on....

Ended up almost a month in hospital and two months in a home that has had a bad reputation for decades. When someone buys a home and first thing they do is change the name.... rut roh....

We actually had a privately-run nursing home where the staff abandoned the patients.  The story even made it to the NY Times.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/16/world/canada/montreal-nursing-homes-coronavirus.html

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Somewhere that is isolated from nursing home populations. 

This was supposed to be a hard question?