Troopers: A report on alleged sexual assault & problematic behavior by MAASIN

11 hours ago, madisonsmiley said:

If you or anyone you know has been sexually assaulted and are in immediate danger, call 911. Otherwise call or visit the police. You can also go to the ER and ask the triage nurse to speak to someone from their sexual assault team. They'll take it from there. Have a forensic exam done ASAP. If you or anyone you know has been sexually assaulted and have questions about reporting the assault or what to do, this is a good resource: https://www.rainn.org/articles/reporting-law-enforcement. Do not assume staff or management will know what to do, that they will contact law enforcement promptly for you, or put the victims interests first. Again, if you or anyone you know has been sexually assaulted, call 911. If staff or management do not want you to call law enforcement or want to determine when they should be called, that's a big red flag. 

This.

The correct & right thing to do w/r/t a sexual assault is simple. 

Not easy, but simple.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Worked 1980-2020 and saw things go 180 on harassment and sexual harassment. Started with guys who had been there since the 60s or so and wouldn’t  last a week with the crap coming out of their mouths. Then after Operation Tailhook (Navy scandal) started the sexual harassment training and years of “is it a how to course” stupid jokes. Now finally at almost everyone either taking it seriously or at least smart enough to shut up if they don’t. 

Question is... how far behind is DCIs and the corps mentality in this? When you have a FEMALE corps head not doing things to correct issues I wonder. 

Same in USAF.  Things have changed (for the better).  But some people can still be jerks (or worse).

As an aside - I had a Navy colleague who had the line "This officer did not attend Tailhook 1991." in his performance report.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Same in USAF.  Things have changed (for the better).  But some people can still be jerks (or worse).

As an aside - I had a Navy colleague who had the line "This officer did not attend Tailhook 1991." in his performance report.

My opinion?  There were always creepers in drum corps but the activity was more localized and parents were there with eyes on.   Jim’s dad was a director and he sent a hall of famer home because he couldn’t lay off the women in the corps.  He said get your stuff, I’m taking you to the airport.  The guy said but my flight doesn’t leave until tomorrow.  Jim’s dad said I don’t care when your flight leaves.

Parents are laser-focused on who is around their kids.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

True about jerks no matter what. Not sure if because of younger or more educated (requirements for IT position upped) but things improving. Wouldn’t say it’s all because people are more aware of the problems now because had jerks when we first learned. Just kind of sad as I hit the end of my career I got the hairy eyeball at times from younger employees when we first met. Then they learned I wasn’t one of those older jerks. Bit of ageism but I can understand from what I saw and heard over the years. 

As for putting not at Tailhook in the performance report... wow 

27 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

True about jerks no matter what. Not sure if because of younger or more educated (requirements for IT position upped) but things improving. Wouldn’t say it’s all because people are more aware of the problems now because had jerks when we first learned. Just kind of sad as I hit the end of my career I got the hairy eyeball at times from younger employees when we first met. Then they learned I wasn’t one of those older jerks. Bit of ageism but I can understand from what I saw and heard over the years. 

As for putting not at Tailhook in the performance report... wow 

I have hope for the future - the students I teach don't care about race, gender, orientation, etc.  They still get p*ssed with each other, but it is usually performance-based, like someone not pulling weight on a group assignment. 

And it should be same in Drum Corps - get mad at member because they are a living tickbox, not because of race, gender, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I have hope for the future - the students I teach don't care about race, gender, orientation, etc.  They still get p*ssed with each other, but it is usually performance-based, like someone not pulling weight on a group assignment. 

And it should be same in Drum Corps - get mad at member because they are a living tickbox, not because of race, gender, etc.

the problem is we have to survive the now

• Like 1

6 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

To paraphrase... I have a dream, that one day my children will be judged by the content of their character, and not by the color of their skin.  Well, a lot of people's character is being judged lacking.

9 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I imagine several, maybe hundreds of incidents were reported and they were given such inane advice as “try to get over it and move on”.  That was on drumcorps Reddit two years ago.  Someone who had contacted DCI.  I’m with @Cappybara.  Blow it up and start over.  Start over better.  Not this #### anymore. 

I agree! The CapitolAires fiasco was the worst kept secret in drum corps and that happened in the mid ‘90s. DCI and member drum corps have had 25 years to get their **** together. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

My opinion?  There were always creepers in drum corps but the activity was more localized and parents were there with eyes on.   Jim’s dad was a director and he sent a hall of famer home because he couldn’t lay off the women in the corps.  He said get your stuff, I’m taking you to the airport.  The guy said but my flight doesn’t leave until tomorrow.  Jim’s dad said I don’t care when your flight leaves.

Parents are laser-focused on who is around their kids.  

An major icon of this activity was a pedophile.  It STILL hasn't come out yet and I can't believe it.  If it hasn't by now it probably won't.  Had I or anyone else did what this person did we'd be in jail and deservedly so.  But this perp was highly successful, and "respected" so everyone looked the other way and ignored it.  

I salute your husband's father for taking a stand. 

• Like 1