Troopers: A report on alleged sexual assault & problematic behavior by MAASIN

4 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

An major icon of this activity was a pedophile.  It STILL hasn't come out yet and I can't believe it.  If it hasn't by now it probably won't.  Had I or anyone else did what this person did we'd be in jail and deservedly so.  But this perp was highly successful, and "respected" so everyone looked the other way and ignored it.  

I salute your husband's father for taking a stand. 

I know who you’re talking about...

Until someone in a leadership position goes to prison it is easier for the powers that be to keep their head in the sand. 

The Hopacolypse wasn’t enough- all we got was words.  Iirc Cadets had a member v member sexual assault & not much was done.  Crossmen hired a company to purge instructor’s sexual misconduct w/ student from internet.  These are 2 that were well documented.  

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Cadets had a member v member sexual assault & not much was done. 

If you look at this case in particular, it underscores the importance of corps having a comprehensive "playbook" to follow that outlines their response to as many scenarios as possible.  Take the emotion and "gray area" out of decision making, have a clear response plan, and let the corps' legal team handle any fallout if the actions end up being unwarranted (ex. member sent home is later determined to have been falsely accused). 

On the surface, the Cadets followed the mandatory reporting requirement by reporting the incident to the Indiana Department of Child Services hotline within a couple hours of when they were first notified.  That is the correct process per Indiana's DCS mandatory reporting website.  DCS sent an investigator to the school to interview the victim later the same day.  The DCS investigator notified the law enforcement agency that had jurisdiction where the Cadets were staying, and that agency conducted interviews of both the victim and alleged suspect. Interviews with different individuals attached to the incident continued over the course of three days, until all parties returned back home at the conclusion of championship week.

The law enforcement agency didn't complete their preliminary report until 2 days after the season ended.  DCS didn't complete their assessment report until late September.  Regardless of the outcome of either report/assessment... if Cadets were waiting for guidance from either agency on how to proceed... it wasn't going to come in a timely manner.  That's why the need for a pre-planned response is so critical.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Brian Tuma said:

I agree! The CapitolAires fiasco was the worst kept secret in drum corps and that happened in the mid ‘90s. DCI and member drum corps have had 25 years to get their **** together. 

no, the second worst....the secret you refer came to light. the other one is still hidden

• Like 1

17 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I have hope for the future - the students I teach don't care about race, gender, orientation, etc.  They still get p*ssed with each other, but it is usually performance-based, like someone not pulling weight on a group assignment. 

And it should be same in Drum Corps - get mad at member because they are a living tickbox, not because of race, gender, etc.

You're right (bold section). I teach a lot of university students and travel annually with groups of 20 year-olds to Hong Kong and Japan. They have a much more rooted sense of equality. I don't think they are especially virtuous or noble. They have just grown up not focusing on someone's race, gender, and sexual orientation.

• Like 2

On 1/30/2021 at 12:11 AM, Cappybara said:

The more and more I silently read this thread, this story, other stories of abuse, harrassment, and straight up mistreatment in drum corps, the more my mind goes to just "blowing it up." 

This isn't an isolated incident. This is a pattern, and it appears systemic to the marching arts. 

I don't have solutions, I wish I did, but I am having a difficutl time seeing a way out of this behavior pattern. 

How do you feel about schools, then?  Should we just abolish them too?

3 hours ago, mjoakes said:

You're right (bold section). I teach a lot of university students and travel annually with groups of 20 year-olds to Hong Kong and Japan. They have a much more rooted sense of equality. I don't think they are especially virtuous or noble. They have just grown up not focusing on someone's race, gender, and sexual orientation.

What I’ve seen too working and being around younger set. If they even think about the differences it’s more of a *shrug* than really thinking about it. Lucky for me my dad was a Korea War vet and was one of a few white guys who were put in a formerly all Black outfit. So I grew up with the *shrug* attitude as he had been around people who were different from him 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rjohn76 said:

If you look at this case in particular, it underscores the importance of corps having a comprehensive "playbook" to follow that outlines their response to as many scenarios as possible.  Take the emotion and "gray area" out of decision making, have a clear response plan, and let the corps' legal team handle any fallout if the actions end up being unwarranted (ex. member sent home is later determined to have been falsely accused). 

On the surface, the Cadets followed the mandatory reporting requirement by reporting the incident to the Indiana Department of Child Services hotline within a couple hours of when they were first notified.  That is the correct process per Indiana's DCS mandatory reporting website.  DCS sent an investigator to the school to interview the victim later the same day.  The DCS investigator notified the law enforcement agency that had jurisdiction where the Cadets were staying, and that agency conducted interviews of both the victim and alleged suspect. Interviews with different individuals attached to the incident continued over the course of three days, until all parties returned back home at the conclusion of championship week.

The law enforcement agency didn't complete their preliminary report until 2 days after the season ended.  DCS didn't complete their assessment report until late September.  Regardless of the outcome of either report/assessment... if Cadets were waiting for guidance from either agency on how to proceed... it wasn't going to come in a timely manner.  That's why the need for a pre-planned response is so critical.

I like the idea of a flow chart to deal with incidents.  Heck, you could probably turn it into an app that all Corps are required to follow.  It could also be rigged to do the required reporting within DCI.

Re Cadets incident - one thing they should have handled better is keeping the 2 members involved separated.