2021 Season Question for DCI & the Participating Corps

56 minutes ago, mjoakes said:

A lot has changed since November. I don't feel any angst over this issue. Seems like the corps and DCI will work this out as needed.

Thing is,based on the "Disclaimer" in DCI's  "Tour Restart . . .",

DCI is leaving everything up to each individual corps.

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

i would think so, but i dont remember seeing plans or guidelines, and in many (now closed) discussions on here, many questions wee raised as what would happen if a corps was hit by just one member testing positive or a whole lot more. i think because of the time frame it was released, there was still so much unknown and no vaccines had officially been cleared by the government yet.

it could all be moot too if everyone gets vaccinated. i'd be curious to see if any corps will require vaccination to participate.

Blue Stars website states that they want everyone vaccinated who is eligible to be vaccinated.

16 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

Thing is,based on the "Disclaimer" in DCI's  "Tour Restart . . .",

DCI is leaving everything up to each individual corps.

The individual Corps did such a great job with member abuse (in several forms).

Good - I can rest easy now.  

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

The problem with requiring vaccinations is that,depending on where  a member comes from,getting vaccinated  can be,difficult.

In NJ, where I live,they just expanded eligibility again.

This time for people 55+ and other essential workers.

Problem is,they don't have anywhere near enough supply.

So all expanding did was make it harder to book appointments.

In fact,a lot of places were,and remain,fully booked.

Next week NJ lowers the minimum age for the vaccine to 16.

So expect more "fully booked" locations.

Over time getting vaccinated will get easier.

But i don't know if it will be in time for the 2021 season.

Jumping back to post some info that might inform some people. Currently NJ, PA, MI, FL and NY account for over half of newest cases. Govt trying to get more vaccines there which means taking from other states.

PA opening up scheduling to all on 19th which what I’m hearing is because they are being pushed to meet US mandate. Just got done registering (put my info in the system) for vaccine but can’t TRY to schedule until 19th. Vibe I’m getting is people involved with this are dreading the 19th as floodgates are going to open with people trying to schedule. My choice that day is be on hold forever or stand in line forever to schedule. And then wait (hopefully not forever) for a vaccine to be available. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

47 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Jumping back to post some info that might inform some people. Currently NJ, PA, MI, FL and NY account for over half of newest cases. Govt trying to get more vaccines there which means taking from other states.

Governor Murphy said yesterday that the vast majority of new cases here in NJ are "young people".

Hospitalizations have remained steady with limited ICU's and vents.

Murphy also said people that do end up in the hospital  do, for the most part respond well to treatment.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Blue Stars website states that they want everyone vaccinated who is eligible to be vaccinated.

Northeastern University announced yesterday (Tuesday April 6) that all students enrolled in the fall of2021 must be vaccinated. This has naturally led to polar opposite comments from the “greatest thing for public safety” crowd to the “they’re infringing my civil rights” crowd and everything in between, but legal experts interviewed believe the requirement will survive court challenges since it is a private college and it is an across the board requirement. 

For drum corps, requiring a vaccine will most likely not be a problem. It is a voluntary activity. Ensuring safety protocols are in place could be problematic and there is probably a good chance at least one corps will be lax claiming it doesn’t matter since everyone is vaccinated.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Northeastern University announced yesterday (Tuesday April 6) that all students enrolled in the fall of2021 must be vaccinated. This has naturally led to polar opposite comments from the “greatest thing for public safety” crowd to the “they’re infringing my civil rights” crowd and everything in between, but legal experts interviewed believe the requirement will survive court challenges since it is a private college and it is an across the board requirement. 

For drum corps, requiring a vaccine will most likely not be a problem. It is a voluntary activity. Ensuring safety protocols are in place could be problematic and there is probably a good chance at least one corps will be lax claiming it doesn’t matter since everyone is vaccinated.

Here are n NJ, public university Rutgers is also mandating vaccines, among other schools