2021 Season Question for DCI & the Participating Corps

8 hours ago, MikeD said:

I was wasted for 36 hours or so after my 2nd Moderna shot. Fever and chills overnight and all the next day/night. Seemed to turn off like a light switch after that. Went from fever to fine instantaneously.

i had Moderna shot 1 and the day after i was really tired. like slept through final four tired, slept through daughter singing Disney plus stuff at top volume tired.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

however most corps arent really kicking in on in person stuff until into the summer. that does help give folks a chance

"chance" is the right word.

Two issues right now are supply and "timing".

As I posted,right now pretty much every vaccine site in NJ is 

fully booked,for "as far as the eye can see".

That line is going to get longer,when the state opens up eligibility to

more people on April 19.

There was an article in today's paper that,because of the problems at J&J's plant in Baltimore,where they had to destroy 15 million doses,NJ will see a 90% reduction in the J&J vaccine for several weeks at least.

The state is also increasing the "lapse" between first and second doses to,at least in the case of of several of my friends,over 6 weeks.

That could,when you take into account a 2 week period for the vaccine to be "fully effective",make having all corps members and staff fully vaccinated by the start of Spring Training tough.

We can discuss our experiences with the vaccine, as well as prognostications concerning the state of the pandemic come July, but the question was: 

What happens if a member or staff get sick in ST or on tour?

From what I have seen, the answer is :

1.  It is up to the Corps

2.  Some Corps have the ability to isolate the member during ST; no Corps seems to have published what happens if they get sick during the tour.

48 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

We can discuss our experiences with the vaccine, as well as prognostications concerning the state of the pandemic come July, but the question was: 

2.  Some Corps have the ability to isolate the member during ST; no Corps seems to have published what happens if they get sick during the tour.

Those are not answers.

Neither is the idea that it could all be "moot" if everyone is vaccinated:

11 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

the chances of contracting it is a lot lower especially if kept in bubbles.

Sure... but the best vaccine efficacy is 95%.  What about the other 5%?

I am not so sure you will get an answer to this question, because a proper answer would have to acknowledge that there is still some tiny possibility that a corps member could get sick while doing this.

18 hours ago, Continental said:

I have to wait 4 months between shots.  That was a government decision which I hope gets changed. 

Why do you have to wait 4 months "between" shots?  I know some folks that have to wait 3 months to take their first dose because they had COVID, treatments, antibodies, etc.  Is that your case?  🤔

Edited by keystone3ply
cx

1 hour ago, keystone3ply said:

Why do you have to wait 4 months "between" shots?  I know some folks that have to wait 3 months to take their first dose because they had COVID, treatments, antibodies, etc.  Is that your case?  🤔

“O Canada ...” 🇨🇦 

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

Those are not answers.

Neither is the idea that it could all be "moot" if everyone is vaccinated:

Sure... but the best vaccine efficacy is 95%.  What about the other 5%?

I am not so sure you will get an answer to this question, because a proper answer would have to acknowledge that there is still some tiny possibility that a corps member could get sick while doing this.

95% is about as effective as the measles and polio vaccines. And people die from the measles and polio too. I do believe precautions need to be taken and plans should be made for anyone who might catch Covid, but no vaccine is going to be 100% effective. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

In 2009 I was travelling the whole summer with Boston and I don't recall what it was at that time....bird flu? Swine flu? Sars?  Anyway, we had two horn players get sick early in tour and both were diagnosed with whatever it was.  They were excluded from rehearsing or performing, had their own room at each housing site, rode with the volunteers, and weren't allowed in the food lines so the admin interns git their meals. I think their quarantine lasted about a week for whatever it was and they both recovered and marched the rest of the tour.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

“O Canada ...” 🇨🇦 

We are behind the US on vaccine distribution because we do not have our own factories that produce any vaccines and rely on ordering from other countries.  

Our Provincial government decided 4 months was OK so more people can at least get the first dose as soon as possible.  

As a result, we now have variants rapidly spreading in some areas.  One gym alone in Quebec City is responsible for the infection of 400+ people because guidelines were not followed and people got infected with the new variants.

• Sad 3

40 minutes ago, craiga said:

In 2009 I was travelling the whole summer with Boston and I don't recall what it was at that time....bird flu? Swine flu? Sars?  Anyway, we had two horn players get sick early in tour and both were diagnosed with whatever it was.  They were excluded from rehearsing or performing, had their own room at each housing site, rode with the volunteers, and weren't allowed in the food lines so the admin interns git their meals. I think their quarantine lasted about a week for whatever it was and they both recovered and marched the rest of the tour.

H1N1.