BLUE DEVILS 2022 The Return

10 hours ago, theonlyfizzle said:

What would you like to see from them ? Is there anything modern that you thought would make great for BD ? Either a theme show, or just musical selections.

More swing-type music. I enjoyed Cavaliers' Sing Sing Sing so much. So many of BD's charts are so sophisticated they're a little difficult to follow sometimes. Dumb things down just a bit for old coots like me who like to tap their feet to the music. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Brian Tuma said:

There’s more

This is interesting i like it. Knowing BD design team, i'd bet it might be done in a way never expected. I am curious what the arrangements would be.

I am going to explore more of Darius Milhaud on YT

Edited by theonlyfizzle
Additional text
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

More swing-type music. I enjoyed Cavaliers' Sing Sing Sing so much. So many of BD's charts are so sophisticated they're a little difficult to follow sometimes. Dumb things down just a bit for old coots like me who like to tap their feet to the music. 

Yes Sophistication is a thing for BD and i do enjoy that alot. But some tapping of the feet wouldn't hurt for sure either; that would be a fun addition to the Layered Sophistication they do with their musical arrangements.

Edited by theonlyfizzle
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

I saw something on Instagram that leads me to believe they will wear hats/shakos in 2022.  I like that.  

Hope it catches on.

Remember since 2017, they still do part of the show in hats/shakos. I take you referring to them going back, to do the entire show in them ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, theonlyfizzle said:

This is interesting i like it. Knowing BD design team, i'd bet it might be done in a way never expected. I am curious what the arrangements would be.

I am going to explore more of Darius Milhaud on YT

He was very prolific. An eleven minute show would only scratch the surface. His Bull on the Roof (Le Boeuf sur le toit) is a reflection of his visit to Rio for Carnival. He also envisioned it as a soundtrack for a Chaplin film. Plenty of opportunity to develop a show around that.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

A little humility would help.

Can you give us an example of something that happened to you personally with BD, staff, members? What was said or done that makes you believe they need more humility?

Or is it that they are consistently on top, and you are looking for any reason to tear them down because you want to see someone else win?

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

Can you give us an example of something that happened to you personally with BD, staff, members? What was said or done that makes you believe they need more humility?

Or is it that they are consistently on top, and you are looking for any reason to tear them down because you want to see someone else win?

Show us on the doll, exactly where the Blue Devils hurt you.

• Haha 4

10 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

Might be a generational thing but I’ve never found BD’s music from the past decade or so to be “sophisticated”

their writing continues to be jazz inspired and apart from 2010, 2012, and MAYBE 2013 (I enjoyed those shows too but they were admittedly esoteric and “sophisticated”), they’ve been one of the most melodic and fun to listen to corps 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1