BLUE DEVILS 2022 The Return

40 minutes ago, lyndakay27 said:

Saw a video of last night's dress. The uniforms are fab IMO. Lots of evolution from Wyoming. Far to go, but lovely so far. 

looooove the uniforms

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, lyndakay27 said:

I'm looking forward to seeing it from a higher viewpoint. I spent a lot of the time watching the drones they had going around! I don't like the yellow flag work right now. Hoping that changes some. 

I was wondering what was going on with those drones, too. They're used by the staff as a learning tool? 

I loved the guard and the flag color changes, especially the blue mixed with all the other blue.. I'm just a color contrast kind of fan, I guess. 

I'm not a brass guy, but there seemed to be a lot of difficult licks in there. Some need some clean up work which of course will come, but the music overall I enjoy. Moon River was better than even I expected. 

Percussion-wise, the battery played a lot of "my era" rudiments which warmed my heart. Many of those seem to be a lost art. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

I think I just saw that same video. Oh my was my initial impression. I think someone earlier in the thread mentioned they looked/sounded like so many classic BD corps of earlier years. Very true. Color me wow'd. 

Yes they do.. I was the one saying it on more than one occasion. I love that Classic sound, and it's going to be so distinctive, I know they are going to look so good too. I saw Scott posted a video of one of the silks and my oh my, they look artistically beautiful.

I wish SCV wasn't looking so bland, maybe in another stadium with better lighting they'll look more interesting, but not loving the look. The costiforms looks fall flat for me. However i like their show, but not in-love with it, i am not connecting to it yet, in-spite it's well performed and and an obvious contender.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Glenn426 said:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CfNhjBOAD09/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

I hadn't seen their line before, man these guys are young. Looks like a selection of the top juniors and seniors from the local World class HS in SoCal. 

If this core sticks together they are going to be monsters in 2-3 years. 

A few '19 B corps members in the line.

Digging the past references ... hear some '15, '16 and '18 licks in there.

Edited by dcsnare93
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, saxfreq1128 said:

Don’t even get me started on how young they are lol. In typical years there’s usually enough vets in the corps for me to feel like, okay, these are fellow-adults. But watching multicam last night my first thought was, Oh, I’m old! 

Will not be watching multicam again until MM’s start growing beards. 🙂

SCV members are not allowed to grow beards this summer...

3 minutes ago, Reed said:

SCV members are not allowed to grow beards this summer...

Well I was gonna say they have my favorite show so far this year but since they have chosen to make me feel OLD with their youth I will be revising that asap 😝

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The ending didn’t seem as catchy as 2019, my big worry. Their brass sonority sounds also very different than usual. More baritone / tuba voice. There was a lot of content but it came up rather suddenly so that pacing seemed odd. For early season it was about usual for them… we shall see if music design is enough to carry them over the threshold  

23 minutes ago, WarriorWay said:

The ending didn’t seem as catchy as 2019, my big worry. Their brass sonority sounds also very different than usual. More baritone / tuba voice. There was a lot of content but it came up rather suddenly so that pacing seemed odd. For early season it was about usual for them… we shall see if music design is enough to carry them over the threshold  

I don’t know how many of the early season vids are still up but a fun thing about 2019 was how often that ending changed … Anyone else remember their brief “screeching violin improv” era? lol. Took a while for it to get as catchy as it is now, so maybe this year will be the same! 

• Like 2

Blue Devils just posted this. Found via their Twitter feed. Assuming it is fair to share here. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dansize said:

Blue Devils just posted this. Found via their Twitter feed. Assuming it is fair to share here. 

That explains the drones buzzing around on the other video. This one wows me even more. 

• Like 1