BLUE DEVILS 2022 The Return

9 hours ago, theonlyfizzle said:

it's the same DUMB criticism every year, even when Blue Devils is Marching their ##### off. So many competing corps not marching much and even way less than BD, yet BD name is being called. Like the salty tears just flow endlessly every season. It  don't bother me no more Lol.. I get good laughs now

I love their drill and of course the entire visual program. Early season I try not to concentrate too much on drill forms, interval issues, or types of moves because so much of that will get cleaned and it will hit the audience a lot differently; or things will change and be re-written. What is scary good with BD is the marching technique. Their marching is simply put the best in the activity. This tells me that as they tweak some things and clean the good stuff the results will be huge because they already have such good technique. When they are doing more traditional marching they are just incredible with their technique. Individual to individual you can see it so clearly. Throw in the demand of their body work, dance, and jazz running -- and the one section in the middle of the show where they literally sprint, and this is one demanding show when you also consider the music book they are playing and the timing of each event in the show. As with any season and with many other corps, not everyone will enjoy this version of the Blue Devils, but that is OK. All I can say is they are a big wow for me. Yes, I do have some things I dislike about the show, but much of that will iron itself out as the season progresses. 

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 8

12 hours ago, BDCorno said:

Well, for starters they have ditched their System Blue horns and are on Conn-Selmer made horns. That has really adjusted the EQ overall for the horns. Chip Crotts also brings a more aggressive and in-your-face vibe to the horns, which I really love. Nice to see a Jim Ott-ish approach for the first time in about 45 years. 

I did attend the rehearsal and uniformed performance at Grand Terrace “blind”. General impression for me was positive but there is so far to go with the show. They are really at stage one in the active deployment of the show. Major ideas and concepts have been blocked in. Once they get past tonight’s show, then they begin going through this show with a fine tooth comb, a process that will last until they arrive at Indy. 

The program is a little disjointed and the flow isn’t quite where it needs to be but they will get the transitions ironed out, and refine the drill ideas. I anticipate some moderate changes in the drill, feels a little too “big linear” for me at the moment. There is no question the move to 165 members has had an impact though. The field seems quite a bit more congested than in the past, and I kind of like the negative space that a group of say, 135 provides. I’m not sure if this is a temporary thing and they’ll roll it back but if they don’t, hopefully this is as big as it gets. Any bigger, it’s just gonna look like marching band. 

At any rate, they are off to a good start. One thing for sure is, BD staff will make sure they challenge the kids to the bitter end. It’s no coincidence how many times they have pulled off a title win at the 11th hour. They are literally improving until they get on the bus for finals. That’s the essence of the BD aura. 

Yes I agree. This show seems more of a shell than past years… and that is okay. It does seem congested in some parts, maybe some reworking will help here and there. Overall I think they have a great structure to work with though

9 hours ago, saxfreq1128 said:

Even when they max out straightforward difficulty it's something they don't get credit for. They partially do a reverse Z pull this year in their closer! But the Marching & Playing police are awfully quiet about that. 

When I rewatch shows like 2016 or 2018, I'm blown away by how much they're marching and how intricate and difficult it is and how odd it is that some people didn't see that. 2016's big hit during the ballad (the whirlpool) was played on the move, uptempo, with extremely exposed, long melodic lines to play as they moved. 2018 had that gnarly section after the company front, when those curves rotated extremely quickly into blocks. SCV had the better show for me that year, but visually, the difficulty really didn't compare.  

Hate blinds, I’m not surprised some don’t see it.

At this point, whenever I see someone say BD doesn’t march, there’s no demand, etc. I just roll my eyes and then smile. The same whenever I read a comment like “I don’t like BD, but…” With so much change, at least one thing is constant ha.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, dcsnare93 said:

Hate blinds, I’m not surprised some don’t see it.

At this point, whenever I see someone say BD doesn’t march, there’s no demand, etc. I just roll my eyes and then smile. The same whenever I read a comment like “I don’t like BD, but…” With so much change, at least one thing is constant ha.

There's a popular BANDO group on here that likes dishing out critism, but it'd be ###### if you criticize their favorite BANDO group. All i will say to that group, of their favorite group, to tell their faves to keep things 100% drumcorps, and not looking like a bando fanfare down the street with great music.

They are one of the loudest sets everywhere,  to hate that which is BD. They find it so hard to give out compliments where's it's due. I am impartial to all corps, inspite i have my forever Faves. However there's alot i like and dislike about all corps.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, theonlyfizzle said:

There's a popular BANDO group on here that likes dishing out critism, but it'd be ###### if you criticize their favorite BANDO group. All i will say to that group, of their favorite group, to tell their faves to keep things 100% drumcorps, and not looking like a bando fanfare down the street with great music.

They are one of the loudest sets everywhere,  to hate that which is BD. They find it so hard to give out compliments where's it's due. I am impartial to all corps, inspite i have my forever Faves. However there's alot i like and dislike about all corps.

They run away with pee dribbling down their leg if you call them on it in real life.  I’ve done it at drum corps shows and you’ve never seen more backpedaling.  Internet warriors are wussies face-to-face.  They feel empowered by their anonymity but they’re not as anonymous as they think.  

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 8

#### BD are good.

They I feel had one big hurdle in the early season and that was the first show. Reports where they where young. and the reports were correct.  They are Young. Youngest I've seen this group. But they Performed their ##### off in Pasadena and removed doubt that this Young BD was somehow not BD. 

The confidence they had last night (their 2nd Show) told me that they believe now. They are not the Young BD. They are BD. Everyone knows what they will bring come August. Best feet in DCI. Clean Guard. Strong Hornline. Clean Beats.

IT will come down to the Show, And Demand. Where is their Demand compared to others? Are they Innovating?

One thing's for sure, the BROKEN ARROW show on July 19th will be Enormous. Who DCI send to that show (Judges) will set the tone for the rest of the year. 

Love DCI Summers! 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Glenn426 said:

#### BD are good.

They I feel had one big hurdle in the early season and that was the first show. Reports where they where young. and the reports were correct.  They are Young. Youngest I've seen this group. But they Performed their ##### off in Pasadena and removed doubt that this Young BD was somehow not BD. 

The confidence they had last night (their 2nd Show) told me that they believe now. They are not the Young BD. They are BD. Everyone knows what they will bring come August. Best feet in DCI. Clean Guard. Strong Hornline. Clean Beats.

IT will come down to the Show, And Demand. Where is their Demand compared to others? Are they Innovating?

One thing's for sure, the BROKEN ARROW show on July 19th will be Enormous. Who DCI send to that show (Judges) will set the tone for the rest of the year. 

Love DCI Summers! 

I agree from at least the show last night on Flo I noticed how young the performers look especially the snare drummers as compared to 2019.

28 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

I agree from at least the show last night on Flo I noticed how young the performers look especially the snare drummers as compared to 2019.

The average age on the drum line is 20, but some have a very young look for sure. #babyfaceassassins has been floating around. 😀

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

They run away with pee dribbling down their leg if you call them on it in real life.  I’ve done it at drum corps shows and you’ve never seen more backpedaling.  Internet warriors are wussies face-to-face.  They feel empowered by their anonymity but they’re not as anonymous as they think.  

True story Ms. Terri............................

Seven years ago, I was in the Nike Store at a Outlet Mall here in SoCal. I was looking for some Cross Trainers going about my day, when this guy walked in the store, went up to one of the employees and asked him if he was this particular username online. The employee said yes, and the dude just decked him, straight laid him out on the floor and then kicked him a few times and said "You didn't think i was going to find your ***..........I know where you live, i know your momma lives and i know where your GF works.............this ain't over!!!" 

Turned out the employee was saying racial and threatening things online to this guy, and the dude that hit the employee was an IT Wizard who tracked him down thru IP Addresses etc. The guy had a paper he printed out with all the things the employee said online and he slammed it down on the counter and told the other employee to give it to their boss so they know who they have working for him. Then the guy just walked out. 

I remember just standing there thinking what the **** did I just witness. 

But it's a good lesson. Watch what you say online, because you don't who you are messing with on the other side. 

Edited by Chief Guns
  • Like 5