BLUE DEVILS 2022 The Return

18 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

I will say that I recall several people on here critiquing the Cavalier's bent knee marching style as being incredible dirty, and comparing it to Blue Devils and Cadets specifically in selling their idea that bent knee sucks...

...I also recall that many posters said they didn't play loud enough to be scoring so high in brass... 

I also remember the screams of all the visual "tricks" the Cavaliers used to score higher such as rolling on the ground during their '05 show, and of course their standing still while playing difficult music.  I remember this all very clearly.

I remember this as they progressed through the later part of the '00s

I never got to see those 2000s Cavies shows live, but I will say that ever since about 2014 or so, the sound of the Cavies' hornline has dramatically improved, atleast over video recordings. The sound of the hornline in the 2000s was quite... thin and I suspect that had a lot more to do with some very layered arranging than the talent of the members themselves. It was a very different approach to arranging compared to, say, Carolina Crown

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I never got to see those 2000s Cavies shows live, but I will say that ever since about 2014 or so, the sound of the Cavies' hornline has dramatically improved, atleast over video recordings. The sound of the hornline in the 2000s was quite... thin and I suspect that had a lot more to do with some very layered arranging than the talent of the members themselves. It was a very different approach to arranging compared to, say, Carolina Crown

I agree for the most part except for 2002. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CfNhjBOAD09/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

I hadn't seen their line before, man these guys are young. Looks like a selection of the top juniors and seniors from the local World class HS in SoCal. 

If this core sticks together they are going to be monsters in 2-3 years. 

Don’t even get me started on how young they are lol. In typical years there’s usually enough vets in the corps for me to feel like, okay, these are fellow-adults. But watching multicam last night my first thought was, Oh, I’m old! 

Will not be watching multicam again until MM’s start growing beards. 🙂

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

Don’t even get me started on how young they are lol. In typical years there’s usually enough vets in the corps for me to feel like, okay, these are fellow-adults. But watching multicam last night my first thought was, Oh, I’m old! 

Will not be watching multicam again until MM’s start growing beards. 🙂

I said this about the Cavies snare line a couple of weeks ago & got hammered.  I stated they look like middle to high school kids.  But then it could be they're not growing beards this year?  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, lyndakay27 said:

Saw a video of last night's dress. The uniforms are fab IMO. Lots of evolution from Wyoming. Far to go, but lovely so far. 

So excited to see them on Flo tonight!  Good luck to your daughter. DO IT UP, DEVILS!!! (It feels so good to say that after so long…)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DWW11 said:

So excited to see them on Flo tonight!  Good luck to your daughter. DO IT UP, DEVILS!!! (It feels so good to say that after so long…)

Thanks! Had my nap today so I could stay up to watch-midnight my time. I'm looking forward to their move toward the east. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, lyndakay27 said:

Saw a video of last night's dress. The uniforms are fab IMO. Lots of evolution from Wyoming. Far to go, but lovely so far. 

I think I just saw that same video. Oh my was my initial impression. I think someone earlier in the thread mentioned they looked/sounded like so many classic BD corps of earlier years. Very true. Color me wow'd. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

I think I just saw that same video. Oh my was my initial impression. I think someone earlier in the thread mentioned they looked/sounded like so many classic BD corps of earlier years. Very true. Color me wow'd. 

I'm looking forward to seeing it from a higher viewpoint. I spent a lot of the time watching the drones they had going around! I don't like the yellow flag work right now. Hoping that changes some. 

Edited by lyndakay27

36 minutes ago, lyndakay27 said:

The video from last night shows a corps that has improved considerably in the past five or so days. They look like what we expect from the Blue Devils in late June. 

• Like 3