Carolina Crown 2022

karuna

27 minutes ago, DrummerParent said:

I hope you’re right.  I like all the pieces and I agree the performance level at this time is insane.  Maybe when I get to see a run-through the whole show will feel more fluid and complete.

After seeing the runs the past two nights, I would say you’re correct. Still a little rough around the edges in a few places, but they’re in a very good place. I see the 2nd and 4th movements getting getting some rewrites, but feel like the open, ballad and closer are all solid. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sensioto said:

Can anyone speak to how the percussion is sounding/looking so far at ST? It feels like they have been building confidence the past few years with a 3rd place finish in percussion in 2018 and 4th in 2019? Hoping for a solid season for them.

Im not a percussion guy, but feel like they're on par with or possibly slightly better than 2019. The one big area of improvement for me is The People's Front Ensemble. The book this year (in my opinion) is much improved and features the ensemble better than past years. There is kinda a Blue Devils vibe to some of the charts. They've also added a drum set and a bass guitar which adds some additional color. My guess though is that the design team is very confident in the percussion section, and I know that because of how they set up the start of the show (subtle tease).  

Sorry, that's all I'm sayin'!

Edited by Newseditor44
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sensioto said:

Can anyone speak to how the percussion is sounding/looking so far at ST? It feels like they have been building confidence the past few years with a 3rd place finish in percussion in 2018 and 4th in 2019? Hoping for a solid season for them.

Travis and his team have made what was once perceived as the achilles heel of Carolina Crown into a strength of the corps.   No words to describe the absolute 180 they've made.  They are legends. 

The People's Front Ensemble has also added some key educators who are also doing an stupendous job.  Jim Ancona's book is in good hands.  

Edited by karuna
  • Like 4

27 minutes ago, karuna said:

Travis and his team

Yes, some excellent younger instructors in that group.  Dan Schack, Frankie Cummings, Paul Nalesnik, et al.  I think several of the members marched George Mason with these instructors also so there is a base of the group that they’ve worked with for awhile now too.

• Like 1

The closer has balls y’all. Haven’t seen the drill yet, but with Jeff writing the charts it’s going to be insane. And there is no letting off the gas pedal for at least 2 minutes. It’s like the design team said “eff-it, let it burn!” 🔥 

This is going to be an epic year for drum corps.

Edited by Newseditor44
  • Like 7

That guard comment is so exciting !!! I’ve always loved CrownGuard and I really hope they bring it! Thanks for the intel.

I can’t wait for the preview show and then I can literally walk to the July 12 show in Atlanta. 🔥 🔥 🔥 

• Like 3