2022 Season Predictions

1 minute ago, Hook'emCavies said:

Cavies 95 for me

They were great. They won unlike the 2022 11th place corps.

Edited by queenanne_1536
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

I think you could put Madison's '88 Malagueña, '86 Devils Channel One, '87 Vanguard Russian Christmas Music, Garfield '87, Star '91 - and a million more examples that parallel Regiment '96. Back then it was about great music with great drill that reflecting what's going on in the music. I don't feel it's about that today, I feel it's all about scores. Not that it wasn't about scores back then, but the sheets have changed and the corps are playing to those sheets. That's DCI's fault, not the corps fault.

There are shows I've liked in recent years (2014 and 2019 excepted - liked no one those years). I loved Bluecoats in 2016 and 2017, Vanguard and Devils in 2017, Vanguard 2018 was the best show in more than a decade IMO. You get some shows in there, but in the 80s and 90s and even into the 2000s I could go to quarters, semis and finals, watch everyone and not get enough. In 2014 and 2019 I didn't even bother watching finals, because I was so bored. But, most years there are 1-2 shows I like. That's sad, It used to be a couple dozen or more.

I’m currently looking for one to cling onto and really like so I can understand the pain, but I’m waiting to see everyone at least on tape and then in person before I can say I’m disappointed wholly with everything this year. I find it really tough for someone not to like at least one show from 2014, but hey. Hopefully there’s something for all of us in 2022!!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

That's it. Exactly. Movies are a whole different thing entirely. While I can appreciate the quality of the performance in drum corps, I feel like it's a "make everything as hard as possible to get the most points" thing which is to the detriment, HUGE detriment of the music.

Thank God no one is playing Beethoven, Brahms, Mozart, Schubert or Haydn on the field (well if they are I can't recognize it, Thank God) because I would flip the F out having to hear botched arrangements of these, my favorite, great composers.

We've lost musicality in drum corps because the writing is geared towards creating the most demand and content. It's a huge flaw in the judging system and it's a detriment to the fans as well. Then we have corps playing 8-10+ pieces all within a 10 minute show. That's ridiculous. There's no build, there's no sustained melody, there's no musicality. It's all rush rush rush to the next.

Go listen to Regiment's opener from 1996 and tell me there is anything as good as that, from a musicality standpoint, on the filed today. There isn't. I could list a 1,000 other examples in addition to '96 Regiment.

Again, I enjoy today's drum corps for what it is, but I go to be awed from a technical standpoint now rather than to be entertained. That's the reason why, if you're under 6th place and I don't like your show, I'm just not bothering with you, and if you're under 12th place, forget it. I'm not going to waste hours on something that bores me to death. At least, with the top corps, I can marvel at the technical wonder they present and appreciate that. With the lower tier corps, there is nothing there for me. Sorry, I'm being blunt and brutally honest here, but DCI has really crapped the bed when it came to their scoring system.

So far, hands down, my favorite show of the season is Regiment, then probably followed by Madison.

I'm even off my beloved Vanguard. We'll see if my opinion changes over the course of the season. I do think it's better than 2019, but that initial excitement has worn off, it's just meh to me now.

BD’s ballads from 2017 and 2018 actually get pretty similar to 96 regiment in build, but I agree with your overall larger point that drum corps nowadays has diluted the concept of building a piece and has given up musicality for demand. BD and Crown especially are the worst offenders of it 

6 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

BD’s ballads from 2017 and 2018 actually get pretty similar to 96 regiment in build, but I agree with your overall larger point that drum corps nowadays has diluted the concept of building a piece and has given up musicality for demand. BD and Crown especially are the worst offenders of it 

Yeah, I loved BD in 2018 too. That was a great show. I'm liking tonight so far. Regiment is amazing.

2 hours ago, Vidal28Rdg said:

I’m currently looking for one to cling onto and really like so I can understand the pain, but I’m waiting to see everyone at least on tape and then in person before I can say I’m disappointed wholly with everything this year. I find it really tough for someone not to like at least one show from 2014, but hey. Hopefully there’s something for all of us in 2022!!

I love Regiment most so far this year. 

• Like 2

After tonight, I'm going to update my predictions!

1. Blue Devils

2. Bluecoats

---- or ----

1. Bluecoats

2. Blue Devils

The rest is gravy!

Edited by queenanne_1536
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Most of us still haven't seen Crown (or BK or Troopers). But is there enough of a feel for things to consider the skipped trip to Indy last year mostly irrelevant for SCV, BD, and Crown?

6 minutes ago, mjoakes said:

Most of us still haven't seen Crown (or BK or Troopers). But is there enough of a feel for things to consider the skipped trip to Indy last year mostly irrelevant for SCV, BD, and Crown?

I don't think that it was ever relevant. They're all tremendously strong organizations. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mjoakes said:

Yes. At least for BD and SCV. Along with the Bluecoats these groups seem to be far and away better than the next tier.

My peek of Crown was a YouTube video. I wasn't overly impressed but I will reserve judgment especially since I wasn't impressed too much with Boston's show design or the Cavaliers either. I feel like Friday will give us a much better picture of where Crown stands. I feel they are most likely in the 3-4 race and a bridge between the top tier and the next tier- which is where they left off in 2019.

Edited by ThePlanets
  • Like 1