Sexual Assault: Spirit of Atlanta 2021

DCI has had at least 30+ years to address situations like this and put strict policy in place. I chose to go back that far because 1995ish is when the inappropriate staff/member situation came to light at the CapitolAires. Three decades, if not more, of sweeping **** under the rug. This organization is rotting from the head down. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tim K said:

Part of the issue is the way some drum corps use the words educator and teacher. I read bios of instructional staff and I have no question about the talent of the instructors or the vast drum corps experience many have, but are they actually teachers or educators? Did they have any education courses in college? Do they work in school settings when drum corps is on hiatus? Qualified teachers should know about reporting, know the importance and responsibilities of supervision, and would take complaints seriously. It may be too much to expect that every instructor in drum corps has the minimum of a bachelors in music with the credits to be a certified teacher, but some of the issues the young woman from Spirit mentions would most likely be handled differently by actual teachers with credentials. Not doing so could mean not just their drum corps job, but their year round teaching positions as well. I know a few years back a young person almost drowned at a day camp. The person who was supposed to be supervising the pool lost her job when it was determined she was negligent. She also lost her teaching job at a public school when it was deemed she violated her contract. Properly trained teachers would understand this, and would realize that if they were negligent in summer jobs, depending on what their contracts state, could lose their off season teaching positions. 

I might also add that directors of drum corps need to better understand the importance of supervision. I’m sure when corps look to hire a director knowing how to manage a budget and fundraise are key areas to consider, but can the person manage and supervise staff and volunteers? 

Thanks coming from a guy who doesn’t know the difference between educator and teacher. 😆

Seriously I’ve had prevention of sexual harassment and sexual assault training every year for decades. I know what the procedures are for problems in federal service but for a touring corps in different legal jurisdictions 🤷🏻. Also remembering that schools probably concentrate on child abuse and no idea on non-minors. So no idea how much of local school training applies

3 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

It’s all about the money. There are livelihoods at stake. DCI doesn’t get money if corps are put on probation. No money lost at the gate with Pioneer not in the game, but Cadets, Phantom, Crossmen and Spirt, well that’s another story. DCI needs to purchase a bigger rug. 

With all due respect I don’t agree with this. Issue is far broader …… maybe involving ALL DCI organizations, BD included. The topic needs to be presented to EVERY member corps and let the individual institution deal with it. This kangaroo court is getting a bit tiresome.

6 minutes ago, Brian Tuma said:

DCI has had at least 30+ years to address situations like this and put strict policy in place. I chose to go back that far because 1995ish is when the inappropriate staff/member situation came to light at the CapitolAires. Three decades, if not more, of sweeping **** under the rug. This organization is rotting from the head down. 

It took 1991 Operation Tailhook scandal for the Navy to wake up. And took them years to realize harassment was more than male harassing female. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, ContraBugle said:

Christopher Moore was the corps director. Ed Medina was the Corps Manager

Why didn't you or anyone else support the girl after she went to management about the abuse? Make sure she was never left alone or in close proximity with the abuser? Everyone failed her in that regard.

3 minutes ago, Smug Trumpet Guy said:

Why didn't you or anyone else support the girl after she went to management about the abuse? Make sure she was never left alone or in close proximity with the abuser? Everyone failed her in that regard.

This is a pretty messed up thing to blame someone for

13 minutes ago, Smug Trumpet Guy said:

Nevermind… unfrigging believable

Edited by JimF-LowBari

10 minutes ago, Smug Trumpet Guy said:

The corps knew about the sexual assault, staff knew as well. This veteran member assaulting her was known for being creepy in previous years. We figured staff would handle it. In regards to RTN, it was mob mentality and those who supported her had to stay quiet or we'd get harassed or threatened as well. 

• Like 1