DCI Tomball.... I mean, Houston

1 minute ago, BluecoatsFan said:

Another good night of drum corps. At the end of the day, I don’t care we’re BLOO finishes ( of course I’d love them to medal) but I am just a fan of what they do. They are not afraid to put something out totally different than other corps, they challenge the normalcy of drum corp and continue to put entertaining, visually pleasing shows out year after year. 

Innovators and performers. You always get the sense they are totally comfortable in their own idiom and love performing. They are fun to watch and listen to and cover the field.

And I just love their arrangements. It’s so modern and distinctive, and musical.

My sense is the ending still isn’t quite there yet. But the show is a medalist and the kids are a blast to watch.

• Like 5

Just now, crownisking said:

BD is the best in the business at integrating narration and singing into their shows by far, IMO. They always pre-record and I’m 100% ok with that. I’d rather hear it done by a professional and it sound perfect every single night. I’m probably in the minority there and that’s ok. 

I’m right there with you. Maybe I’m scarred from the Cadets’ many attempts to (poorly) do live narration, but I much prefer pre-recorded voiceovers in general 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, brassboy said:

Wait wait wait...how much of that repeated trumpet articulation is a looped sample? How did I just now notice that?

None

Re multicam: Back when Prelim seats were easy to get, I'd always get down front to watch the pit and the members up close. Lots of emotion. 

• Like 1

Ah!  Finally found the “oh a drug door” gif i was looking for when that door opens up in the guys face.

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, CAtenhut said:

Is THAT what it's supposed to be?

Don't know for sure....I've driven by it a few times and it just stuck with me ... rich Texan bought a new Caddy each year and buried it for hoots and snickers .... Texans - go figure .....97c5b405c12ab34cf2fbc8c41132897c5b4-scal

3 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Yeah I can see both sides of it. Personally any corps that uses narration for establishing a mood gets a pass in my book (Blue knights were very good at this) but when the narration adds a level of cheese or is trying to tell a story.. I’m out 

Blue Knights were incredibly good at that yes yes indeed. I’m also not wholly against narration either for sure, my feelings toward the subject aren’t as emphatic, as I’m simply waiting for a corps to surprise me with an impactful voice to add to a production. You can feel it on a video but it also will feel that much better in person when done right.