Tuesday, July 19th “DCI Broken Arrow” …. Tiger Stadium Broken Arrow High School … Broken Arrow, OKLAHOMA

1 hour ago, CFC1905 said:

Well when we beat them, they were yelling “f****** f*gs!” during finals retreat. Happened all summer among other things. 

Different times back then than now

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Quad Aces said:

I find it interesting that a lot of the BD honks on here think that criticism of their recent show design trend has everything to do with hating them because they win, and nothing to do with their choice of show design.

it’s as if since they win a lot, their show design absolutely has to be fantastic - because if you don’t agree, you hate them because they win.

I don’t buy into the success breeds hate concept myself - there are plenty of activities/sports where I am a big fan of the dynasties that exist.

BD can win because they have figured out how to win, but that doesn’t mean that they haven’t become repetitive, boring, dull, and lack innovation right now - it’s OK, it really is.

Out of curiosity, what is repetitive of their shows? I hear this a lot but no one seems to say WHAT exactly is repetitive. Their shows have covered such a wide range of concepts im a little confused where the repetition is

And maybe it’s just me, but I don’t watch marching shows for innovation, though I guess throwing around the word “innovative” is the new DCP buzzword 

People seemed to enjoy shows just fine back in the 90s and 2000s without the need for “innovation” 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CFC1905 said:

When it’s a pattern of behavior and not one incident, the only logical explanation is that the culture was being driven by the staff. 

I know the difference between one or two jerks and the behavior of an entire corps 

...and I have personal experience that extends beyond the marching years with several former members there who were very negative. I only found out where they marched AFTER seeing their behavior, and then looking them up. 

It was culture driven.  I'm not sure if that attitude still exists today, and I hope it doesn't, but it has lessened my opinion of the organization since then.

Edited by jjeffeory

29 minutes ago, crownisking said:

Hot take here. I really wish we went back to the 2021 tour model and did away with shows being judged. I hate stressing over scores, placements, spreads, etc. I don’t want to feel like any corps is the “enemy”. Last summer we were all just enjoying some really good shows. That’s it. There wasn’t the typical animosity. 

Different topic for a different thread, but that’s why I never refer to the marching arts as a sport. I hate the competition aspect of it.  I hate what it brings out of us. 

I mean, also Blue Devils and SCV weren't touring, so....

Just now, jjeffeory said:

I mean, also Blue Devils and SCV weren't touring, so....

Neither did Crown but they all did shows and most people enjoyed them. 

Just now, crownisking said:

Neither did Crown but they all did shows and most people enjoyed them. 

BD did a rave, not a show.

As you know, Crown put on a show during the first part of the season and the video was shown in Indy.

SCV put on something too.

Honestly, my take in Indy was that a bunch of the audience hit the concessions during those video clips.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, jjeffeory said:

BD did a rave, not a show.

As you know, Crown put on a show during the first part of the season and the video was shown in Indy.

SCV put on something too.

Honestly, my take in Indy was that a bunch of the audience hit the concessions during those video clips.

That’s fair. A video isn’t the same as a live performance, obviously. But the live shows were well received. Not saying that’s any different from any other year in Indy. But not having to worry about scores last year was, for me at least, incredibly freeing.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, dcsnare93 said:

Anecdotal, but just from talking to people at shows I've attended over the past few seasons here in California, Atlanta and Indy, I'd say BD in general and their shows the last few years are a lot more liked than some here on DCP want to admit. 

overall BD hatred for the actual shows has diminished quite a bit since 14.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Quad Aces said:

I find it interesting that a lot of the BD honks on here think that criticism of their recent show design trend has everything to do with hating them because they win, and nothing to do with their choice of show design.

it’s as if since they win a lot, their show design absolutely has to be fantastic - because if you don’t agree, you hate them because they win.

I don’t buy into the success breeds hate concept myself - there are plenty of activities/sports where I am a big fan of the dynasties that exist.

BD can win because they have figured out how to win, but that doesn’t mean that they haven’t become repetitive, boring, dull, and lack innovation right now - it’s OK, it really is.

That may be a fair criticism of most BD fans. Even as a BD homer, I think they had beatable designs in 2016, 2018, and (don’t hate me) 2019.

Even so, they consistently put out good designs. There are moments in some shows that have me scratching my head, but I’m not banging my head on a table for the entire show. There are groups that place well competitively that fall in that category (even this year).

BD absolutely has figured out how to win. I know people think the sheets are in BD’s favor, but really, BD is just in the sheet’s favor. If you eliminated GE from the score sheets, you’d best believe that corps would put out a technically proficient corps that would blow their other seasons out of the water.

They’ve had mostly the same staff for an incredibly long time. Their staff is full of some of the best (and often the best) in their caption. They gel as a team and get how to win. That is all 100% true, but don’t let that diminish their value as educators. They do historically incredible things.

I do think to some degree, you can point out elements that are repetitive. I guarantee that I can do that for every drum corps, though. Some might say the Bluecoats are the most original in the activity and (no hate to Bloo, I LOVE THEM) I’d say “are you serious?”

Boring/dull - completely subjective. I find elements of some other corps dull, but that may be your favorite moment of the night. I’m happy for you and understand not everybody likes the same things. Turn on a recording of Blue Devils when they are out west or in Colorado. The fans were going ballistic because they love that style of show and the west does things differently.

Lacking innovation…. Eh? I mean, I can point out several things that BD does that are completely new to the activity this year, but you’re right… I wouldn’t say that this show is innovative. Whose is though? The last show that I’d describe as innovative was Bluecoats in 2016. I don’t think anybody has really pushed the envelope since then.

All in all, you don’t enjoy BD and that is 100% ok! I do wonder if you’d like them more if the competitive aspect was removed and you could just enjoy the production. But all in all, I guess my take away is that we don’t all have to like the same thing. Tribalism is the enemy of all!

• Like 6