Tuesday, July 19th “DCI Broken Arrow” …. Tiger Stadium Broken Arrow High School … Broken Arrow, OKLAHOMA

To the comments about crowd sizes & the Denton ticket sales, It's because while it's hot, it's not THAT much different than the typical 100s in Texas.  We're used to it.  Hardy Texas folk can't stand going North in the winter any more than Northerners can stand coming down here in the summer.  Both are an anathema to the other.  

Edited by TexasPRfan
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, TexasPRfan said:

To the comments about crowd sizes & the Denton ticket sales, It's because while it's hot, it's not THAT much different than the typical 100s in Texas.  We're used to it.  Hardy Texas folk can't stand going North in the winter any more than Northerners can stand coming down here in the summer.  Both are an anathema to the other.  

Also it’s the return to competitive drum corps to Texas, first time since 2019, this really shouldn’t be surprising to anyone😂

5 hours ago, George Dixon said:

I loved that show, I personally think it should have beaten Cadets 2 uniform gimmick that year - but others felt differently 

Agreed. That BD show just felt so raw and authentic. I still have love for the Cadets that year, but I think this is the one and only time where I can honestly say I felt like BD got robbed. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, crownisking said:

Hot take here. I really wish we went back to the 2021 tour model and did away with shows being judged. I hate stressing over scores, placements, spreads, etc. I don’t want to feel like any corps is the “enemy”. Last summer we were all just enjoying some really good shows. That’s it. There wasn’t the typical animosity. 

Different topic for a different thread, but that’s why I never refer to the marching arts as a sport. I hate the competition aspect of it.  I hate what it brings out of us. 

Here's the thing... No one is making people stress over the scores. The people who should really care about the scores are the members and staff, not keyboard warriors on DCP, yet that's what so many people here do all day and night non-stop. We can still enjoy and critique shows any time we want but some just choose to care way too much about the scores.

Edited by CAtenhut
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Overall, very good discussion today in this thread.  Respect everyone's opinions and know we all enjoy this activity with specific elements we like to see, hear and feel.  

It was also nice to see some posters acknowledge BD rubs them the wrong way based on past negative experiences with members.  Knowing some of these individuals who have posted for awhile here on DCP, it helped to understand the subtle digs I see from them year to year on certain corps.  I'm mostly a lurker but being on here for so long, you get to know individual's preferences.  

I also acknowledge that BD has always had a very competitive culture.  There was some shift starting around 2003 and I'm not saying it's entirely gone, but it's better.  Shoot there is even competition and healthy ribbing among the corps based on the bus they ride on.  

Sometimes I feel like BD is that cat in the meme where the girls are all pointing at it.  They just want to do good band like everyone else.  You win some, you lose some.  It's all good.    

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Count me in as one those old school fuddy duddies, but the competitive aspect of drum corps was a major motivator BITD. Even if that meant us rising from 7th to 6th place in some rinky dink show in Pigsknuckle, Illinois. 

Now, I'm more interested in being entertained and letting the scores fall where they will. Still beech and moan a little when a favorite doesn't come ahead of someone else less entertaining in my eyes, but I get over it quickly. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TexasPRfan said:

Outstanding verbiage sir!  Excellent use of the term "anathema".  🧐