Before you get out your torches and pitchforks...

17 minutes ago, TenHut said:

With due respect, you are not under the same pressure as you are playing your instrument alone and not trying to execute your charts with others. Kind of like if 1 solo snare drummer claimed he was under the same pressure as a 9 Man snare line. No, you aren't. 

cry more 😭

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ashontheinternet said:

why gate keep players from participating in the activity? 

It’s not gatekeeping, it’s keeping the integrity of the activity. You don’t see nascars and Indy cars driving around the track together. You don’t see stick and ball sports changing their rules to accommodate athletes of other sports. 

if you want to be in band, be in band. If you want to march drum corps, march drum corps. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

i'm rooting for every performer every time.  glad you love playing synth.  

my only problem with all of A&E is how synth instrument performance and thunderous goo gaffes are judged.   a synth blaring over the speakers with a bunch of missed notes and phashing issues with rest of the ensemble has a huge impact on a show, as does a long "whooooommshushuuuuuuushuuuu BEEEP" from a speaker. people bring up that it "must" impact such and such caption/subcaption pretty often on here, but nobody actually knows.  intentionally and conveniently nebulous.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I don't have a problem with any instrumentation being in marching band, but for drum and bugle corps, I want brass and percussion. I've given to be tolerant of concert brass instruments being added, but further changing the fundamental sound of drumcorps changes it into professional summer marching band. That's a different animal. That means that we've loss uniqueness in the marching activity.  Pretty soon DCI will morph into something that will likely fade away forever...

I appreciate James Logan, Ayala, Murrieta, Arcadia, Avon, Carmel, Vandergrift, Tarpon Springs, USC, OSU, Oregon, Texas, Stanford, MSU, and all the marching bands, but they're in different parts of the marching band community. Even many of those marching bands have instrumentation restrictions in their ensembles.

Anyway, it's not directed to our wonderful synth players, I'd be ok with having groups in an all instrument marching band class, but there's still so much territory that could have been creatively explored within the previous instrumentation limits, especially once the instruments could play all the notes.

Anyway, it doesn't matter, and feel free to join your favorite "corps" / "band". If it is high quality, there will be some kind of audience, I imagine, but people are going to be turned off by synths, strings, and woodwinds in DCI.  Some will be nice about it, others will just go away, and others will be down right rude. It's just human nature.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

See Bloo.  An incredibly cool show basically tainted with narration.  The 70's flower children are strong with that group.

Session 44 used narration beautifully.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CFC1905 said:

It’s not gatekeeping, it’s keeping the integrity of the activity. You don’t see nascars and Indy cars driving around the track together. You don’t see stick and ball sports changing their rules to accommodate athletes of other sports. 

if you want to be in band, be in band. If you want to march drum corps, march drum corps. 

I don’t see how a keytar solo—hands down the coolest and most fun moment of the entire season—makes Bluecoats less drum corps than Boston or Crown. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Orwellian Wiress said:

I know y'all are joking about a show called "Get Off My Lawn", but imagine a corps actually doing a show solely meant to call out toxic DCI fans. I think it would be a great meta concept, and whatever corps does it would go down in DCI history.

Hey, I am trying to teach myself how to write drum corps style music... writes it down in infinite notebook labelled "Half-Baked Show Ideas"

you mean like BD does almost every year minus the narration?

but here's one thing to consider...older fans #### and moan, but they drop some coin on drum corps even while they #### and moan

• Like 3

4 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Synth question:  Can you make the synth sound like a 1970 G-bugle line?

no it'd be more in tune