What is the most pressing issue in DCI for 2023

What is the most pressing issue in DCI for 2023  

101 members have voted

1. 1. With the 2022 season nearing completion, what is the most pressing issue DCI should be concerned with in the off season? There are probably multiple right answers, which one do you feel is the highest priority? Choose one.

• Leadership - time for a change at the top and possible org restructure
    • Competition - re-examine the competition model to help less funded corps be more competitive and promote more fan friendly shows
    • Safety and inclusion - working to ensure performer safety, diversity and inclusion is top priority
    • New touring model - development of a new touring model to help ease costs and promote more regional opportunities
    • Financial stability - cost cutting measures to ensure financial stability and a level playing field competitively

7 hours ago, ediblewaffles said:

I would say safety and inclusion. Making sure that ALL members feel safe in an ensemble and not excluded due to their identity is going to be extremely important in not only DCI, but the future of the marching arts in general. 

Second would be finding a way to make the southern tour less strenuos weather and climate wise. There are a good number of domed/roofed stadiums here in Texas (The Star, AT&T, NRG, Alamodome, etc.) that could be used as locations. The Texas tour is extremely lucrative and losing it is likely not an option

You people act like the kids are not conditioned for this heat and humidity.

• Confused 2

10 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Finals has happened in Texas before but it was prior to the creation of DCI.  One of the worst experiences of my life. I think it was 325 on the field - or at least felt like it in wool/cotton long-sleeve cadets, black pants, and dress nm

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
nm

Heat is an issue.  THE issue, meh.  Bigger issue is marching on astroturf.  It holds and reflects the heat something awful.

• Thanks 1

Yes, the Texas tour generates a lot of income for the corps. I would bookend that week long tour with an all-corps regional in the Dallas Cowboys beautiful new domed stadium, along with the San Antonio regional--both Saturday shows. I imagine the attendance for both those air-conditioned shows would be around 18,000. 

2 hours ago, Sideways said:

You people act like the kids are not conditioned for this heat and humidity.

Nobody is or should be conditioned for rehearsals in 115 degrees with heat factors in the 120s. Don't make me BITD this. At best we got more water breaks, but eventually rehearsals were called off on my home field  because the heat index was 125 on astrograss in the early otts.

C'mon now. 😒

Texas band systems are regulated for the heat, or at least they used to be. UIL restricted hours and when we could rehearse. Most band systems don't work during the heat of the day... they only rehearse early mornings and late nights outdoors... the rest of the time they work indoors. Until DCI enforces the same, I'm sorry, I don't trust corps to regulate themselves in extreme temperatures. I've been away a long time, so I'm hoping my concern is outdated but I have no evidence to the contrary yet.

Again, if they find indoor facilities and other solutions, that's different. But we shouldn't be putting MMs through extreme heat unnecessarily and we never should have in the first place.

I’ve done triathlons in 100F heat and marched in it as well…never said it’s easy or ideal but you can condition for it.

42 minutes ago, Sideways said:

I’ve done triathlons in 100F heat and marched in it as well…never said it’s easy or ideal but you can condition for it.

I haven't run a triathlon, but I've marched in it as I said. Was also clear that I LOVED marching in the heat.

The real question is WHY do this is if it's unnecessary? I wouldn't sign on with a single corps these days who didn't clearly outline for me what their heat mitigation protocols are.

11 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

I haven't run a triathlon, but I've marched in it as I said. Was also clear that I LOVED marching in the heat.

The real question is WHY do this is if it's unnecessary? I wouldn't sign on with a single corps these days who didn't clearly outline for me what their heat mitigation protocols are.

The advantages of being older and wiser.  The young are not going to do this nor care for the most part.  Honestly I never had an issue with the heat and 88 was awful.  Ya it sucked sometimes esp with valves drying out a lot and no grass on fields but heat as THE issue, meh.  Give the kids/young adults more credit for staying hydrated, being is incredible shape and taking breaks.  Armed forces carry rucks and march and run in far worse.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mello Dude said:

The advantages of being older and wiser.  The young are not going to do this nor care for the most part.  Honestly I never had an issue with the heat and 88 was awful.  Ya it sucked sometimes esp with valves drying out a lot and no grass on fields but heat as THE issue, meh.  Give the kids/young adults more credit for staying hydrated, being is incredible shape and taking breaks.  Armed forces carry rucks and march and run in far worse.

My argument is still WHY tho?

There's a certain point where making corps harder than it already is becomes unnecessary and counterproductive. I'll continue to argue that extreme heat exposure is unnecessary. Look at BD's record for resting their kids. They work hard in the heat too, but they also give adequate rest and I imagine, know better than others how to mitigate heat. There are ways to mitigate heat safely... but again, I don't trust corps yet, so I'll always push back on this. I hope y'all can understand why.

The argument that it builds character is totally lost on me if that's where this is headed.

9 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

My argument is still WHY tho?

There's a certain point where making corps harder than it already is becomes unnecessary and counterproductive. I'll continue to argue that extreme heat exposure is unnecessary. Look at BD's record for resting their kids. They work hard in the heat too, but they also give adequate rest and I imagine, know better than others how to mitigate heat. There are ways to mitigate heat safely... but again, I don't trust corps yet, so I'll always push back on this. I hope y'all can understand why.

The argument that it builds character is totally lost on me if that's where this is headed.

Working smarter is always the way to go.  Did someone make the argument of building character?  Drum corps already does that..a lot.  Seriously, we don't need to coddle mostly young adults.  They are old enough to make decisions.  Trust in the people that are on the field.  I give them a LOT more credit for knowing when they need to sit down and take a break.  Trust me, this is NOTHING compared to detasseling corn fields...THAT truly sucked.