Friday, July 29th “The Masters of Summer Music Games” … Johnny “Red” Floyd Stadium Middle Tennessee State University Murfreesboro, TENNESSEE

7 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

Bluecoats are as formulaic as anyone else. 

If the formula is no formula, sure.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

Just waking up to the recap sheet this morning.

Crown 4th in brass... Bloo 1st in percussion... 😳

Boston second in brass but fourth in brass analysis. Those of you who understand sheets: explain.

• Like 2

Until last night, I wanted a certain corps to win it all. After seeing all of the top 4, I don’t care who wins. 

The only shows I didn’t enjoy last night were the first two corps. After the rain delay, there wasn’t one show I didn’t love. I can’t remember the last time that’s happened for me with all the top corps. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, craiga said:

I agree, Barneveld.  This Boston supporter is not whining either.   I, too, fell asleep last night.  These central time zone shows complete with rain delays are brutal on us East Coasters.

I would have slept through the night but I got a text from a BAC horn player around 1:45 my time very excited about the job they did.  He said the staff is keeping them focused like a laser beam on the performance levels and they can't wait for tonight.

He did tell me that as of right now, nobody in Boston is sick.  It would seem as though the corps being sealed away in a giant mayonnaise jar under Funk and Wagnell's porch is working...for now.

(And I just lost everyone under the age of 50.....)

Anyway,  CRUSADE ON!

Hermetically sealed...Funk and Wagnall's porch. Since noon today. But you!...

55 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Boston second in brass but fourth in brass analysis. Those of you who understand sheets: explain.

Tightness of comparison is the explanation.

("Whose Line Is It Anyway" where everything is made up and the points don't matter) is the reality.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, MikeRapp said:

If the formula is no formula, sure.

Ehh.  They all have 'fingerprints' in their designs that reflect the gradually changing/overlapping design teams.

It's not a liability... it's an identity.

• Like 3

Just waking up to this and dissecting.  I didn't read all 98 pages of this thread and I went to bed early because I live in EST and worked 12 days straight so I missed all the top groups. Anyway I apologize if some of these questions have already been asked or observations made.

1st off- very proud of the Bluecoats for updating their show and pulling into 3rd place for the time being. I do think this show is worthy of a medal and it would be great for them to get one for their 50th.

2nd- BAC. Still pushing and doing fantastic! Great job!

Some scoring observations/questions

1. Either percussion has been all over the place or thr Bluecoats had an overhaul this week. What is consistent is Crown scoring at the bottom of the top 5 consistently (including SCV). Crown battery did definitely sell me in San Antonio with the closer. That was intense! I think the weak link is more likely the front ensemble vs the battery.

2. Brass? Did Crown have a bad night? They certainly have the most talented hornline in DCI this year. Their show design does not highlight them nearly enough- but I would expect them to max out that achievement score.