Boston Crusaders 2023

2 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

And the ones that push the envelope are normally the ones that get that elusive ring. I want to see this team have their brand like the others have established. Like BD you know is more artistic and Bluecoats will be electronic. I think Crown is searching for their new identity outside of Crown Brass.  None of the shows you mentioned were close to a ring either 😉

I’d argue we don’t have enough to decide if this is “pushing the envelope”

Also this team has their brand. 17-23 is all part of the same brand and aren’t a search for identity and honestly they’re a continuation of the brand Boston has been doing since 13. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The Boston Crusaders "brand" is epic music inspired by classic literature...or as you amusingly put it, "old story shows".

• Like 3

1 minute ago, fighterkit said:

I’d argue we don’t have enough to decide if this is “pushing the envelope”

Also this team has their brand. 17-23 is all part of the same brand and aren’t a search for identity and honestly they’re a continuation of the brand Boston has been doing since 13. 

I think zoom was their most innovative show and that one broke the mold of designs because it wasnt judged.  End of day it's just my opinion and if someone has that big of a problem with it they don't have much going on in their day to day lol 

1 hour ago, BlueStainGlass said:

And the ones that push the envelope are normally the ones that get that elusive ring. I want to see this team have their brand like the others have established. Like BD you know is more artistic and Bluecoats will be electronic. I think Crown is searching for their new identity outside of Crown Brass.  None of the shows you mentioned were close to a ring either 😉

No those Blue Stars shows weren't close to a ring, but they're old story shows that have been done. The complaint was old stories, without mention of placement in the first post that got my response. Good goal-post moving technique! Almost seamless, but let's stay on that jab that Boston is playing an "old story".

I'm not a huge Boston fanatic or anything, but I do enjoy pointing out hypocrisy when I see it. 

Shakespeare did not explicitly state the exact number of stories that exist to be told, but he did express the idea that there are only a limited number of basic plotlines or themes that can be used to create a story.   In keeping with the spirit of Shakespeare, why worry if there's a new story being told? I mean, it's going to be a new story. This is a new year, and there will be variations in this show that will make it unique. I'm just not buying the "old story" schtick this year.

Edited by jjeffeory

47 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

No they weren't close to a ring, but they're old story shows that have been done. The complaint was old stories, without mention of placement in the first post that got my response. Good goal-post moving technique! Almost seamless, but let's stay on that jab that Boston is playing an "old story".

I'm not a huge Boston fanatic or anything, but I do enjoy pointing out hypocrisy when I see it. 

Shakespeare did not explicitly state the exact number of stories that exist to be told, but he did express the idea that there are only a limited number of basic plotlines or themes that can be used to create a story.   In keeping with the spirit of Shakespeare, why worry if there's a new story being told? I mean, it's going to be a new story. This is a new year, and there will be variations in this show that will make it unique. I'm just not buying the "old story" schtick this year.

To expand on this thought a bit if I may; ok regard the theme as an old story, then add the Shakespeare philosophy pointed out of it being an old story but being done in a new way in a new year.  There will be a mix of music (old and new) requiring new visuals and movement for fans to appreciate and be entertained.  There are quite a few old shows from many years ago I’d love to see performed with updated music, visuals, percussion, electronics, props and guard work.  They might be old shows (stories) but would be totally brand new.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Another season BSG of little digs of Boston?

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, fighterkit said:

I can finally talk about it publicly.

Presenting their 2023 production: White Whale

https://bostoncrusaders.org/2023/05/2023-production/

Boston Crusaders’ production of White Whale is inspired by Herman Melville’s great American Novel, Moby Dick. It offers a turbulent ocean adventure filled with gritty characters while exploring the realms of philosophy, science, history, and politics with intrigue and insight. This is the story of Captain Ahab’s self-destructive obsession with the white whale, called Moby Dick. The plot of the novel follows Ahab’s manic drive to kill the whale, even as it endangers his crew. The Boston Crusaders’ 2023 show makes a geographical connection the corps’ home in Massachusetts, while also drawing parallels to the White Whale metaphor; chasing the seemingly unattainable, at all costs.

Musical selections include:

Fantasia on a Theme By Thomas Tallis – Ralph Vaughn Williams
Out to Sea – Ryan George, Colin McNutt, Iain Moyer, Mike Zellers
The Whale – Colin McNutt, Iain Moyer, Mike Zellers
Swallowtail Jig – Traditional
The Wellerman – Traditional
Show Me the Way to Go Home – James Campbell, Reginald Connelly
Shipping Up To Boston – Dropkick Murphys
On the Waterfront – Leonard Bernstein

2023-logo_2020x1080_FINAL-1.png

Boston cracks me up. I love it. Boston’s elusive white whale is the championship: so the allegory is very clear. And it will get the MMs (and the audience) very hype. Imagine them finally winning with a show about this, of all things. 

Plus: Whaling? Dropkick Murphys? This is going to be the most M*sshole show of all time LOL. 

My favorite book, so of course I’m excited. And “On the Waterfront”! Poignant for mega-fans of SCV ‘97 (like me). 

It’s an “old story,” sure, but I think the better word is timeless — its a story that recurs, in many forms, for good reason. I predict something swarthy, aggressive, adventurous, exactly what sets Boston’s style apart. Can’t wait. 

Edited by saxfreq1128
  • Like 7