Boston Crusaders 2023

On 5/13/2023 at 11:30 AM, TOC said:

There are designers that can put together nice shows but cannot discuss them to save their lives (e.g., the ones in Carolina and Rockford tbh). 

This set of designers, on the other hand... really impressive.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, kdaddy said:

There are designers that can put together nice shows but cannot discuss them to save their lives (e.g., the ones in Carolina and Rockford tbh). 

This set of designers, on the other hand... really impressive.

You know, whenever I see any video of Colin McNutt talking,  I have to smile.  I have very fond memories of him as a 17 year old tenor player in BAC when I was a visual tech.   I think we had a total of 5 years in common.  He's of course older now, but I still see the eyes of an amazing young kid who was passionate about playing his tenors. I claim no credit for who he has become, but I do feel genuinely honored that I was able to know him in those days, as well as the present. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, craiga said:

You know, whenever I see any video of Colin McNutt talking,  I have to smile.  I have very fond memories of him as a 17 year old tenor player in BAC when I was a visual tech.   I think we had a total of 5 years in common.  He's of course older now, but I still see the eyes of an amazing young kid who was passionate about playing his tenors. I claim no credit for who he has become, but I do feel genuinely honored that I was able to know him in those days, as well as the present. 

To this day you can see the passion and absolute love he has for this activity when talking to him. 
Getting to talk to him during the 22 season was always one of my favorite moments because no matter what he always made time for anything big or small and you could tell he always cared 

• Like 1

For those who don't know, today marks the beginning of move-in at Castleton College in Castleton, Vermont.   The section leaders, drum majors, battery percussion  and front ensemble should all be there by sometime tonight.   The brass and guard arrive on Monday. 

It is an awesome facility,  surrounded by the Green Mountains on all sides, and is enhanced by the fact that the members and staff eat three meals a day (all you can eat buffet style) in the campus dining hall, and the members sleep in the adjacent dorms.   Staff sleeps in the faculty dorm.   The kitchen truck is there and will provide the second dinner, usually at 10pm every night. One of the gyms is the home space for the guard and also provides space for corps meetings, sexual harassment training, etc and the other is taken up completely by the outgoing and incoming percussion equipment.  Adjacent to the percussion Gym is the uniform room on one side and the medical room on the other, where Dr. Vivien and her team of medical interns set up. There also a large, windowed room with about a dozen folks sitting at a huge boardroom style table all with laptops.   These are the admin folks, media team,  merchandise team, and the rest of the corps office staff who essentially move from Hyde Park to Vermont for the duration of spring training.

The stadium is quaint, but is artificial turf with nice aluminum seating and decent early season height for the staff.

Within walking distance is "downtown" Castleton,  with the famous Blue Cat Bistro and the really cool pizza "Third Place" and literally one gas station with two pumps.  

Boston's first shows are July 1st and 2nd in Lynn and Quincy, MA, and so it begins. I hope to visit for the first time 5/30-6/1. I am trying to thread the needle between my hs band's Memorial Day Parade on that Monday and our drum major auditions that Thursday. 

I am looking forward to being there with them, and will do my best to post daily updates in real time, which readers here can believe or not. 😉

I think this is our 8th or 9th year here, and the kids call this home.   They even have named some of the nearby mountains. I am so glad the time has come.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, craiga said:

For those who don't know, today marks the beginning of move-in at Castleton College in Castleton, Vermont.   The section leaders, drum majors, battery percussion  and front ensemble should all be there by sometime tonight.   The brass and guard arrive on Monday. 

It is an awesome facility,  surrounded by the Green Mountains on all sides, and is enhanced by the fact that the members and staff eat three meals a day (all you can eat buffet style) in the campus dining hall, and the members sleep in the adjacent dorms.   Staff sleeps in the faculty dorm.   The kitchen truck is there and will provide the second dinner, usually at 10pm every night. One of the gyms is the home space for the guard and also provides space for corps meetings, sexual harassment training, etc and the other is taken up completely by the outgoing and incoming percussion equipment.  Adjacent to the percussion Gym is the uniform room on one side and the medical room on the other, where Dr. Vivien and her team of medical interns set up. There also a large, windowed room with about a dozen folks sitting at a huge boardroom style table all with laptops.   These are the admin folks, media team,  merchandise team, and the rest of the corps office staff who essentially move from Hyde Park to Vermont for the duration of spring training.

The stadium is quaint, but is artificial turf with nice aluminum seating and decent early season height for the staff.

Within walking distance is "downtown" Castleton,  with the famous Blue Cat Bistro and the really cool pizza "Third Place" and literally one gas station with two pumps.  

Boston's first shows are July 1st and 2nd in Lynn and Quincy, MA, and so it begins. I hope to visit for the first time 5/30-6/1. I am trying to thread the needle between my hs band's Memorial Day Parade on that Monday and our drum major auditions that Thursday. 

I am looking forward to being there with them, and will do my best to post daily updates in real time, which readers here can believe or not. 😉

I think this is our 8th or 9th year here, and the kids call this home.   They even have named some of the nearby mountains. I am so glad the time has come.

Stop; you had me at 'all you can eat buffet style'... :lle:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, keystone3ply said:

Its really good food honestly. All you can eat with variety and every visual staffs worst nightmare. Ice cream. 

Craig really is right. Castleton to a lot of us mm's is our second home. I basically spent my last four summers at Castleton. We end up knowing every nook and cranny of that town and we do have silly little names for the surrounding mountains.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, keystone3ply said:

Yeah, the Castleton food service amazed by how much drum Corps kids eat.  They told BAC that the members eat much more than the "normal college kids".  And of course, drum corps kids all eat breakfast, which the regular college students apparently do not. 😀

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, craiga said:

2014 was the corps' first year in Castleton. Thanks to Patrick Refsnider for finding it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fighterkit said:

Its really good food honestly. All you can eat with variety and every visual staffs worst nightmare. Ice cream. 

Really love hearing about the good food. Keep it up.

Here to stand up for ice cream, though. 🍨 Are there sweet options that pack more nutrients? Sure. But from an ayurvedic perspective, dense, sweet, cold foods (ice cream included) can help keep fat on body types that have trouble doing so, especially under the demand of drum corps summers. Also helps to tame a hot digestive system.

I say enjoy all the ice creams, Boston. Going after whales is tough work that deserves sweet treats. 🐳

• Like 3