Boston Crusaders 2023

11 hours ago, Boss Anova said:

As others have already pointed out, there is a huge difference in accents within New England,... borne of both Geography and Economic Class. An upper Class, wealthy " Brahmin " born and raised in ( for example ) Beacon Hill section of Boston ( think the Kennedy's/ Welds/ Cabots/ Peabody's, et al ) have a completely different accent than in Boston blue collar, working class residents that might live only a handful of miles away. ( such current noticeable accents however can be expected to end with time and generations passing, and mobility within socio economic classes... we are already beginning to see this ). Those who were born and raised in N.E. can still easily  tell the geographical regional difference in accents from someone born and raised in ( for example ) Connecticut, with that of a person born and raised in Maine or Vermont,.. and vice versa.  My Greater Boston region born and raised accent is easily recognizable from that of my family from southern Ct. Their accent is closer to that of New York City than that of Boston... and neither of us have accents that quite resemble that of people born and raised in Maine or Vermont. Boston and Providence, R.I., are only an hours drive between them away. Both native born residents have accents however that set them apart. Huge differences thus within the region of N.E. regarding accents, Greg in Orange County.

You say much of what I had planned to say. I think the Boston accent is getting fainter as time goes on. There have been huge population shifts in the Boston area which has impacted the accent. The dropped “r” is still common, the added “r” after a word that ends in a vowel (pizza is not peetzer) less common. Our parents sisters seem to be “ants “ rather than aunts. There are variations within the state. It’s easy to hear the differences between the North Shore and South Shore, though Cape Ann to the North and Cape Cod to the South are more traditional Boston accents. The South Coast (Fall River, Dartmouth, New Bedford) sounds more Rhode Island like, the Western part of the state sounds like neither Boston or New York. For Connecticut, Hartford north seems to be closer to the Boston accent and tend to root for Boston teams, Hartford South has more of a New York sound and while they may like the Patriots, Celtics, and Bruins, they tend to be Yankees fans. Maine has characteristics of the Boston accent but it sounds different. New Hampshire I’m not sure. They don’t talk to you when they find out your from Massachusetts even though many are Massachusetts transplants themselves.🙂

Regarding the Kennedy accent, in particular Rose, JFK, Bobby, Teddy, and Eunice, it was an intentionally cultivated accent to sound at home in high society as well as a local watering hole. They would rehearse speeches with vocal coaches so it would sound just right. They wanted it to be unique enough to distinguish them from the establishment as well as upstarts like Tip O’Neill. 

Edited by Tim K
  • Like 1

Career/Korea was one that threw me a few times with some folks.  

• Haha 2

The best summer baseball league in the country... bar none... is the Cape Cod Baseball League. For over 50 years some of the very best college and young amateur baseball players from all around the country come to beautiful Cape Cod in Ma. to continue to hone their baseball skills in their summers with excellent coaching. They live in the homes of Residents  while there, then play under the lights at night where locals come out to watch them play in their lawn chairs, small stands. Dozens of later famous MLB have played in the Cape Cod Baseball League growing up, including Cory Snyder, Aaron Judge, Frank Thomas, Jason Varitek, Ron Darling, Buck Showalter, Evan Longoria , Barry Zito, Billy Wagner , Nomar Garciaparra , Thurman Munson, Mo Vaughn, Chris Sale, Craig Biggio, etc and many, many other well known pro baseball players.

Anyway, here are a few players from outside New England that last year played for the Orleans ( Ma. ) Firebirds Cape Cod League Baseball Team attempting to do the impossible... correctly pronounce a few Massachusetts towns/ cities.  Native born New Englanders know they are going to have some good natured fun with...... this.....😊........

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Like 1

That's hilarious.  It reminds me of my dad's stories of dispatch agents for his job who were in Georgia trying to pronounce some of the small towns in Indiana and Ohio that had indigenous language origins like Wapakoneta, Mishawaka, Osceola, Mississenewa, Walkarusa.  

And I was waiting for Worcester to show up...heh

Edited by KVG_DC
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

That's hilarious.  It reminds me of my dad's stories of dispatch agents for his job who were in Georgia trying to pronounce some of the small towns in Indiana and Ohio that had indigenous language origins like Wapakoneta, Mishawaka, Osceola, Mississenewa, Walkarusa.  

I think you mean Woostah or is it Wusstah?

24 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

I’ll raise you a Thonotosassa and an Immokalee.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

There's a difference between a "Boston" & "New England" accent?  Hmmmm.  I didn't know this.  I think I can tell the difference between a Philly, Joisey, and NY accent, but not between Boston/New England. 

I can tell the difference between a Maine and Boston accent!

• Like 1