Staff Merry-go-round

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

Typically the case, money talks - I do find it interesting that Tom was fired (apparently) with cause (multiple member complaints) and then another drum corps is comfortable hiring him immediately & I certainly wonder if a thorough vetting process was done. I think the competitive pressures in the activity is part of what leads to the revolving door of (alleged) abusers - Joe and he are friends so the "I know he's a good guy" mentality also kicks in. Joe & Hopkins where also close BITD

Is anyone wondering why Ron left after DB was forcibly retired? That honestly worries me a ton - clearly someone with a first hand view of what actually happened is no ok with it. Please enlighten me if you know more.

It's also yet another example of a white male hiring another white male. Did any POC get an interview?

Something is starting to really reek in this activity, I find myself falling out of love with it - and I know I'm not the only one.

If you're saying he was fired for complaints that means the process was followed and the complainers have filed a report to home organization and DCI that would blacklist them from teaching. Or the rest would be rumors which a private independent investigation would determine if it's a lie or not. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scheherazadesghost said:

If so, we marched together for 2.5 seasons.

Also if so, he's another one, of so many people promoted within the industry at the leadership level, that was witness to the abusive culture I brought to light in my public report from April... and still hasn't said a word to me or publicly about it. Fine. My time is long over.

So in the end, these reports on reddit that he perpetuated harm at SOA as caption head and Phantom as a tech must just be coincidence. ✌️

The same Academy that has a percussion guy who was put on leave from his university gig? I'm sensing a trend here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

If so, we marched together for 2.5 seasons.

Also if so, he's another one, of so many people promoted within the industry at the leadership level, that was witness to the abusive culture I brought to light in my public report from April... and still hasn't said a word to me or publicly about it. Fine. My time is long over.

So in the end, these reports on reddit that he perpetuated harm at SOA as caption head and Phantom as a tech must just be coincidence. ✌️

Marched with Dan.  He always seemed incredibly focused but fair to me; our interaction was minimal. Initially, I was happy for Academy and him with this announcement. 

Unfortunately, our era of SCV had plenty of issues with treatment from the visual staff and members-to-members.

However, reading the comments on Reddit is concerning.  Perhaps this role serves him better than a visual position.

1 minute ago, AzEuph said:

Marched with Dan.  He always seemed incredibly focused but fair to me; our interaction was minimal. Initially, I was happy for Academy and him with this announcement. 

Unfortunately, our era of SCV had plenty of issues with treatment from the visual staff and members-to-members.

However, reading the comments on Reddit is concerning.  Perhaps this role serves him better than a visual position.

I'm of the mindset that someone who demonstrates a disregard for the well being of the members will continue to do so, regardless of their role within the organization. My concern with him being in a greater position of power is that he may hire like-minded individuals and fail to hold them accountable if members raise concerns.

3 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Typically the case, money talks - I do find it interesting that Tom was fired (apparently) with cause (multiple member complaints) and then another drum corps is comfortable hiring him immediately & I certainly wonder if a thorough vetting process was done. I think the competitive pressures in the activity is part of what leads to the revolving door of (alleged) abusers - Joe and he are friends so the "I know he's a good guy" mentality also kicks in. Joe & Hopkins where also close BITD

Is anyone wondering why Ron left after DB was forcibly retired? That honestly worries me a ton - clearly someone with a first hand view of what actually happened is no ok with it. Please enlighten me if you know more.

It's also yet another example of a white male hiring another white male. Did any POC get an interview?

Something is starting to really reek in this activity, I find myself falling out of love with it - and I know I'm not the only one.

Tom got fired because of Denise. (allegedly)  Every summer as long as I can remember instructors and tech get complaints. The bests instructors get complaints. The nicest instructor get complaints ( Not saying Tom is the nicest instructor. He is a task master. You better have your #### together or be teachable. Tom is a great teacher. If he did something egregious he would be on the Do Not Hire list. If you are as closely tied to the Cadets as you claim to be, you should know this stuff. I have to take that last statement back. Sometimes things are kept close to the vest. There's a lot of things I didn't know about that affected the Cadets when I worked there.

Edited by boxingfred
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, boxingfred said:

Tom got fired because of Denise. (allegedly)  Every summer as long as I can remember instructors and tech get complaints. The bests instructors get complaints. The nicest instructor get complaints ( Not saying Tom is the nicest instructor. He is a task master. You better have your #### together or be teachable. Tom is a great teacher. If he did something egregious he would be on the Do Not Hire list. If you are as closely tied to the Cadets as you claim to be, you should know this stuff.

Even being closely tied to Cadets (which I am not), there are still many people who don't know exactly what happened. But I think you're right that he would be on the "Do Not Hire" list if what he did was egregious. Personally, I'm sad about it, but it's not the end of the world. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

Even being closely tied to Cadets (which I am not), there are still many people who don't know exactly what happened. But I think you're right that he would be on the "Do Not Hire" list if what he did was egregious. Personally, I'm sad about it, but it's not the end of the world. 

What's come out has to do with TA stepping out of his lane into management territory with regards to rehearsal schedules, etc. No indication of personally abusive behavior or misconduct. Obviously it was enough of a conflict that they felt better moving in a different direction, but it makes one think that DB was in a jam either way. Keep a name staffer who doesn't respect the system, or terminate him and accept the blowback. No win.

• Like 4

Good to hear from you AzEuph. I hope you are well. I know you care deeply about Academy member safety and wellness.

57 minutes ago, AzEuph said:

Marched with Dan.  He always seemed incredibly focused but fair to me; our interaction was minimal.

Same. We were rookies the same year and in different sections. I have nothing to report from the time we marched about his behavior at all.

Initially, I was happy for Academy and him with this announcement. 

His pedigree is impressive. I understand this.

And colorguard staff and corps leadership, in my case. The vis staff was particularly harmful the whole time I marched. Sadly, I've confirmed with other survivors that it's not just been our era. Minimally it was a decade around the time we marched, but I've been trusted with enough accounts outside of that time period to make this claim. When I spoke to corps leadership about my abuse initially, I was told to ask around and talk to other alum. I did. It didn't help because it's so disheartening to hear, especially when it seems like there's nothing I can do.

However, reading the comments on Reddit is concerning.

Disturbing. Triggering for some of us. Wishing all those who endured this kind of treatment ease as they read other accounts.

Perhaps this role serves him better than a visual position.

I hope this is the case for Academy's marching members and the org as a whole. But accounts are pouring in from members who marched 3+ different corps while he was on staff. I'm not sure more responsibility is the way to go here. What is the industry rewarding?