Blue Devils in the Details 2023

5 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

I was wondering when we were going to get around to arguing football and can all this drum corps talk nonsense. 

Haha! I couldn't resist. Salty dolphins fans are everywhere.

On topic, there are definitely a few years BD didn't win that I thought they should've and some years they did when I thought they shouldn't.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

I was wondering when we were going to get around to arguing football and can all this drum corps talk nonsense. 

Halftime in the band show is arguing about football.  

• Haha 4

13 hours ago, DWW11 said:

I get that you aren’t hating on the kids. And i DO get your points. I may even agree with SOME of them. But i go back to the point i made a few days ago. If i had a winning formula, and the kids who work so hard benefit from that. i would ride that formula until it stopped winning.  

Fair enough. Last cycle they were winning with a more palatable design and change away from that one too quickly, imho.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, theonlyfizzle said:

Question: Who are we most looking forward to besides Blue Devils MIGHT three peat and why ?

For me, many of them, if not all, but if i have to single out a few i'd say

Mandarins. Because the theme is interesting, and i'd like to see where they go with it. But i am excited to see if they get to move up from 10th, because i thinks it time they move up.

SOA. Redemption sounds sweeter for this corps who have a great repertoire, and i have heard three clips of their show and i love them. Can they make it back into finals this year ? Maybe ? idk. Will be up against Blue knights, Madison, Crossmen, P.Crest. Lets see and welcome back!

Cadets. Without seeing the show yet, just off the repertoire and just my feelings.. I believe they might just have a top 3 show this year. We might get competitive show from them. Can they do it ?

Cavaliers. I am hearing great things from out of this preseason and spring training. Sounds like another top three show if the show really live up to the hype floating around. Many top three shows can exist all at once without actually making the top three... But as i'm basing this off design and not the performance. A top three show can exist with the design but it is up to the performance to take it up there..🤷‍♂️

Boston Crusaders. They really did smell blood last year. No pun intended but they are hungry sharks this year, and might be swimming their way to get that blood. Is this the year they pull out all the bells and whistle to topple The Blue Devils.

Bluecoats. Yes they excites me.. I like how campy and fun they can get with the designs and the uniforms. Risk taking and consistently producing top 3 shows. I enjoy their offerings musically and visually and i feel like a kid watching them. This year is no different and my expectation of them is wild guessing, they usually have me scratching my head at first but still turn out to be so much joy and fun lol.

(Edited)Oh i forgot one... Phantom Regiment. I want to see where they go from last year, how will they build of that. with that new look and modernized music, what will the design look like for them and their identity. Those uniform designs i've seen so far are the best i have seen so far. imho

However i am excited in general for all corps, behind each there's a story and that story alone will infused the corps to keep telling it through this season and beyond. What a great year this might turn out to be after all that is said and done.

Mandarins. Yes my son is there, so there is some bias lol. But everything I have heard so far, Sinnerman is going to be a freaking monster. I can't wait to see this show live tomorrow at Family Day. No idea where they will place or what they will score, but this much I know...........Mandarins are sick and tired of being the gatekeeper to the top ten. I will leave it at that. 

Bloo/Boston. I have so much respect for these organizations. I always look forward to what they are bringing to the table each and every year. Also.......I think these two corps have the classiest fanbases on DCP. Big shout out to @craiga @Liahona @Barneveld @oldbandguy @cfirwin3 @Jurassic Lancer and everyone else who represents those awesome fanbases. 

Cadets. In my honest opinion, Cadets are STILL one of the big dawgs of DCI, and here's to hoping they make their return back to the top five real soon. 

Blue Stars. Something is brewing in La Crosse Wisconsin. I have no idea what it is, but I think they could be the most dangerous corps out there. Don't sleep on the Blue Stars. 

Pacific Crest. If we are just speaking on strictly momentum, no corps was affected by the 2020 covid shutdown more than PC from a momentum standpoint. They were building something in 2019, and it would have been great to see how they did in 2020-2021. Reports I heard is that they are vastly improved from last year, and they seem to have gotten their sea legs underneath them once again. I would love to see PC in the next several years push for a top 12 spot so we can once again have three California corps in Finals. 

Edited by Chief Guns
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, resipsaloquitur said:

Randomly Angry Male Diatribe does comet to mind

You missed the Burr effect. A woman's posts were some of the worst... 

12 hours ago, jaylogan said:

This part made me laugh out loud. I may need to try some of this shimmying to see where it gets me!

Happiness? That's what the shiny shiny shake does....

11 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

I just watched BDs Preseason Report that's up on YT. It has interviews with the members and staff. 

At no point in any part of the vid did I get the sense that anyone was acting entitled. 

Of course I might have missed something. 

At your earliest convenience, can you point out the entitlement in the vid?

Thank you in advance. 

Honestly Chief, I've dealt with alum outside of corps, and my sampling has been entitled individuals. I could call out some specifically,  but that'd be crude. 

10 hours ago, theonlyfizzle said:

Your being nice, i am calling the spades as i have been observing them... LOL...  They will soon say i am being snarky.

There are some real heartfelt criticism that make sense, but there are some BS ones that come from another place that don't make any sense. Seen all of them and i can pick them out based on how and what is being ranting on about. In general they point out things in BD they don't like, while skipping over, or making excuses for other corps for the same things. If they going to call things out, then call out all the corps whose guilty of it. Call out DCI for not rewarding what you like and not pick on BD, at least BD will change direction as soon DCI decides to reward something else. IDk 

I try very hard to call out and pick out things I don't like from every corps, including the Blue Devils, and even more extremely my corps. I actually try harder to be kind and fair when being critical of Concord. You should hear me complain about the Cavaliers when they design a dud.

I think it's better to have candor, but it's also important to be positive too when being critical.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chief Guns said:

Mandarins. Yes my son is there, so there is some bias lol. But everything I have heard so far, Sinnerman is going to be a freaking monster. I can't wait to see this show live tomorrow at Family Day. No idea where they will place or what they will score, but this much I know...........Mandarins are sick and tired of being the gatekeeper to the top ten. I will leave it at that. 

Bloo/Boston. I have so much respect for these organizations. I always look forward to what they are bringing to the table each and every year. Also.......I think these two corps have the classiest fanbases on DCP. Big shout out to @craiga @Liahona @Barneveld @oldbandguy @cfirwin3 and everyone else who represents those awesome fanbases. 

Cadets. In my honest opinion, Cadets are STILL one of the big dawgs of DCI, and here's to hoping they make their return back to the top five real soon. 

Blue Stars. Something is brewing in La Crosse Wisconsin. I have no idea what it is, but I think they could be the most dangerous corps out there. Don't sleep on the Blue Stars. 

Pacific Crest. If we are just speaking on strictly momentum, no corps was affected by the 2020 covid shutdown more than the PC from a momentum standpoint. They were building something in 2019, and it would have been great to see how they did in 2020-2021. Reports I heard is that they are vastly improved from last year, and they seem to have gotten their sea legs underneath them once again. I would love to see PC in the next several years push for a top 12 spot so we can once again have three California corps in Finals. 

I agree with everything.

Of course GO MANDARINS!

Boston/BC fan-bases are really classy guys.. I wish them a phenomenal season.

Indeed for Cadets. Blue Stars should have been on my list definitely. PC they are strong and coming.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, DWW11 said:

I get that you aren’t hating on the kids. And i DO get your points. I may even agree with SOME of them. But i go back to the point i made a few days ago. If i had a winning formula, and the kids who work so hard benefit from that. i would ride that formula until it stopped winning.  

Simple and Logical

• Like 2