An HOUR to get into Lucas Oil Stadium????

4 hours ago, C.Holland said:

when you buy a ticket, there's usually gate info on it.   Example.  Barclay's Center (Brooklyn Nets) on their tickets have "Entry: (street name) or (avenue name)  Section (##)" 

There's also an email sent 1-5 days out reminding attendees of entrance policies, gate info, changes from regular operations.  

If this is missing...  woof. 

If only DCI had an event app.  And could push notifications on it to 'use the door at Gate ___ if the gate you're at has a long wait' sort of information.  

But they went with basically a "put our website into an app" 

38 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

you also fail to understand who controls the staffing at a venue DCI does not own.

If you’re speaking to me, you would be incorrect (and that might be a first - I have tremendous respect for you) but perhaps the fault is mine for not being more complete. Staffing levels and performance from a venue are a matter of contracting, and I understand how contracts are negotiated and enforced, including how unfavorable contracts can result, and why a party can’t or won’t enforce contractual rights. At the least, DCI might benefit from a “lessons learned” exercise focused on venue entry issues throughout the summer, in preparation for future tours.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

i know everyone wants to #### on DCI because it's DCI, but most of the ####### is being done by people that have never run a large event in someone else's house.

I hope you don’t speak for DCI.  If they adopt an arrogantly dismissive attitude in which they are uninterested in even trying to think of all possible solutions, they will significantly damage the strength of their fan base.  

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’ve been going to this show at LOS since 2009, with the exception of 2020, and last year when I was moving.  This was the absolute worst logistically.  I don’t think I’m exaggerating. It’s not like I’m not coming back because I bought tickets Thursday morning for next year.  I just feel the need to vent.  I think they can contractually make the LOS people do a better job with entrance and egress.   And concessions.  That was a little crazy, too. 

Some insight for you all from a former venue operator,  and even some in the state of indiana, you can't magically make poorly paid door staff do a better job.  they already have a cruddy job equal to lost luggage. they're told very little about what's going on, theyre told to rummage through your stuff, do it quickly, but aren't what door they are put at until very last minute, and that they're the only door. When we came back from covid, many decided the pay wasn't worth dealing with the general population.  The venue will often staff it as best as they can within the budget (see that's also a magical limiting factor here), and within the knowledge provided by the renter of the space. 

see also. the factors for how a venue is staffed in front of house. operations information provided by the rental client, budget of rental client for the event, and availability of all possible staff on the day of event.  There's also a factor at arena's of "how many entrances do we need? will people trickle in or show up all at once?"  Which that information comes from the client, and then staffing is allocated by the venue operator.  

Concessions is a tougher ball of wax.  because again, see poorly paid jobs that deal with normally not great customers. Barclay's Center in Brooklyn will often have many concessions closed for Nets games due to lack of people who want to work the crummy job for crummy pay.   

Edited by C.Holland
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lawdn said:

If you’re speaking to me, you would be incorrect (and that might be a first - I have tremendous respect for you) but perhaps the fault is mine for not being more complete. Staffing levels and performance from a venue are a matter of contracting, and I understand how contracts are negotiated and enforced, including how unfavorable contracts can result, and why a party can’t or won’t enforce contractual rights. At the least, DCI might benefit from a “lessons learned” exercise focused on venue entry issues throughout the summer, in preparation for future tours.

i dont disagree. but as i had read elsewhere if people dont show up to work...what do you do? i am sure DCI and LOS had some intense discussions. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, skevinp said:

I hope you don’t speak for DCI.  If they adopt an arrogantly dismissive attitude in which they are uninterested in even trying to think of all possible solutions, they will significantly damage the strength of their fan base.  

i speak for me. DCI would rather i go away to be honest

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

i dont disagree. but as i had read elsewhere if people dont show up to work...what do you do? i am sure DCI and LOS had some intense discussions. 

Yeah, contractual remedies are retrospective and don’t help in the moment. In an ideal world one might do scenario and contingency planning, but DCI staffing is likely more limited these days than ever, and LOS may not be interested in doing it anyway. I sure would be preparing to bring it up during contract renewal discussions.

Edited by lawdn

52 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Well we now know that better simple communication could have significantly reduced the entrance delay without requiring additional staffing.

But as for staffing, why not hire more people than needed so that if some don’t show up, there are still enough.  And if they don’t have enough people to do that, require them to contract additional staff or allow dci to.  

Maybe there are reasons that one idea won’t work.  I’m sure every thought off the top of every head won’t produce a solution, but I find it hard to believe that no idea will produce a solution or lead to another idea that will.  

2 hours ago, C.Holland said:

Some insight for you all from a former venue operator,  and even some in the state of indiana, you can't magically make poorly paid door staff do a better job.  they already have a cruddy job equal to lost luggage. they're told very little about what's going on, theyre told to rummage through your stuff, do it quickly, but aren't what door they are put at until very last minute, and that they're the only door. When we came back from covid, many decided the pay wasn't worth dealing with the general population.  The venue will often staff it as best as they can within the budget (see that's also a magical limiting factor here), and within the knowledge provided by the renter of the space. 

see also. the factors for how a venue is staffed in front of house. operations information provided by the rental client, budget of rental client for the event, and availability of all possible staff on the day of event.  There's also a factor at arena's of "how many entrances do we need? will people trickle in or show up all at once?"  Which that information comes from the client, and then staffing is allocated by the venue operator.  

Concessions is a tougher ball of wax.  because again, see poorly paid jobs that deal with normally not great customers. Barclay's Center in Brooklyn will often have many concessions closed for Nets games due to lack of people who want to work the crummy job for crummy pay.   

Thank you for sharing this insight and knowledge. From the perspective you share, it is clear are no easy fixes absent an infusion of money that will never exist.

But can we at least strip the State of Indiana of its slogan “A State that Works”?

Edited by lawdn