Theoretically...

38 minutes ago, SJugster said:

Ive always wondered this exact thing.

I have also wondered why some rich person (besides Star of Indiana) hasn't used a drum corps as a way to write off millions year over year.

I know of a certain corps with a very wealthy alumni who uses donations as a write-off. I'm sure there are more than just that one as well.

The first thing that needs to happen is determining if there is a desire for a drum corps. You also need to to see if there are other competing activities that may be of interest to those who might march drum corps. In many communities where drum corps  folded, communities also offered expanded sports offerings, opportunities to explore the arts, and there were improved and expanded school music programs. Will the community support a drum corps, especially financially? Once you determine there is a desire, it is fulfilling a need, and there is potential support then you can begin the steps to establishing a corps. 

People have said you need a millionaire with money to bank roll it. Bill Cook and Star was a one time deal and not the norm. Also millionaires are not just going to part with funds. It would be nice if they did, but it most likely will not happen. 

15 hours ago, skevinp said:

I could be wrong, but I’m thinking Academy kind of did it in stages.  Something like start with a guard the first year, add a drum line the next year, add brass in standstill the year after that, then finally do a full show the year after that.  

I'm not sure of the precise progression, but that sounds correct. 

I do have a little experience here.  I was part of a team that was 99% of the way along when COVID hit and ended those plans.  These days, the easiest way to start is via SoundSport.  It's literally structured to help these small businesses along, develop them, and see which can turn into an Open Class corps down the road.  You definitely don't have to be a millionaire, but you *have* to have a realistic business plan.  Our first year tour was literally going to be one week, day trips only so no housing needed.  You also have to have a coherent mission/elevator pitch, and "DCI is Cool" isn't it.  What service/mission are you providing?  You absolutely can keep costs down in a hundred different ways, but only if everyone buys in to the mission itself.  

Mike

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MikeN said:

You also have to have a coherent mission/elevator pitch, and "DCI is Cool" isn't it.

Darn. There goes Plan A. And also Plan B. And about 1/2 of Plan C.

• Haha 2

On 8/23/2022 at 3:14 PM, Orwellian Wiress said:

How does one go about starting a drum corps? Is there official protocol? Or do you just go "hey we're a drum corps" and boom? you're a corps now?

Contact the Blue Devils and see if you can mentor for a year on how to do this.

Get a time machine....

Go back in time to see how and why hundreds of corps failed then don't do that!

Get back in your time machine and go to the future....any corps left? Probably not. If there are groups they are probably professional groups who's staff and members/performers are making money.

Mom and Pop corps don't really exist (do they?). Equipment will be mucho expensive! Staff? Well it seems today you need 20 staff members for each section. Heck you probably need 4 cymbal techs!

Don't forget you have to have trainers, sports medicine doctor, nutritionist and at least 10 Psychologist.

You also need a CEO, assistant CEO, Executive Director, Assistant Executive Director, Paid Board of Directors, Corps Director, Assistant Corps Director, Business Manager with assistants, Tour Manager with Assistants, Executive Chef, Sous Chef, and Cooks.

Buses. Pay a company or buy your own? Truck Drivers.

Uniforms? New one's every year to stay current with all the other corps.

Good luck!!!

On 8/23/2022 at 11:36 PM, SJugster said:

Ive always wondered this exact thing.

I have also wondered why some rich person (besides Star of Indiana) hasn't used a drum corps as a way to write off millions year over year.

Millionaire business person Jim Jones started the Troopers in the early 60’s. He brought in top flight people like Don Angelica to get the corps off the ground.