The Cadets 2023

9 hours ago, CadetDood said:

This music is awesome, so excited for the summer!

If they play the ballad portion of this, I will cry. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I love the "Opus 89" reference to Cadets current anniversary year. I'm sensing a reference to longevity/immortality to individuals and organizations such as Cadets, Black Dyke Band, superheroes?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, CadetDood said:

This music is awesome, so excited for the summer!

Oh my gosh. I cannot WAIT to hear Bocook's arrangement of THIS! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

For years have been on the mailing list for the Erie corps folks. Been receiving mail about the Cadets since the move was announced. Just saw my first fund raising request so the move added people to this list. I’d say that’s another plus.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

For years have been on the mailing list for the Erie corps folks. Been receiving mail about the Cadets since the move was announced. Just saw my first fund raising request so the move added people to this list. I’d say that’s another plus.

There is now a partnership between The Cadets and the Lake Erie Fanfare/Thunderbirds/Lake Erie Regiment. This move is providing access to a large asset of drum corps fans. Including an (pardon my language) old drum corps base that has been yearning to support something like the Cadets. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

There is now a partnership between The Cadets and the Lake Erie Fanfare/Thunderbirds/Lake Erie Regiment. This move is providing access to a large asset of drum corps fans. Including an (pardon my language) old drum corps base that has been yearning to support something like the Cadets. 

No question this is a positive sign.

But (you knew that was coming)

At the same time, The Cadets are ignoring their original north Jersey roots.

When they first moved to Allentown, they said that they still considered themselves a 

New Jersey corps.

That's faded over the years, to the point where the only time

you hear from them is when they want a donation.

As I've posted, given their schedule, they could have done a show in North Jersey, (Clifton) where

there is a large group of Garfield Cadets Alumni.

For people like me, who grew up watching The Cadets, their abandoning New Jersey, hurts.

Edited by rpbobcat

2 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

When they first moved to Allentown, they said that they still considered themselves a 

New Jersey corps.

As I've posted, given their schedule, they could have done a show in North Jersey, (Clifton) where

For people like me, who grew up watching The Cadets, their abandoning New Jersey, hurts.

You aren't wrong in any sense here. And I know that my enthusiasm over having the corps here in Erie is also matched with sadness from those that still miss them being in NJ. I'm sure they had every intention of trying to keep those NJ roots, but I think as many have expressed throughout this move, that so many corps get members from all over it isn't the same as it used to be where you did get a large amount of local members. Corps are really from the country now and not so much their respective state/city. 

I think Cadets are changing that a little bit with their partnerships they are making here in Erie. But it is still a larger trend that it isn't so much about where the corps is from. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rpbobcat said:

New Jersey corps.

I think the larger problem is that doing stuff in New Jersey anymore isn't affordable, particularly North Jersey. The area around NYC is extremely expensive to be in, and the amount of money needed to get a show venue and housing site for each corps would be way more than any potential profit from selling tickets to where corps wouldn't even break even. I think Cadets wants to do everything they can to keep their NJ roots alive, for instance Cadets is still doing a show in New Jersey this year in Glassboro, but spending money that no corps can afford to spend just because the Cadets are originally for north Jersey isn't a smart move.

I do think there is a push to have even more alumni involvement this year with history night and the community performance during spring training in Erie, and as always the alumni get togethers at Allentown and potentially even the Erie show this year. So I don't think the corps is at all trying to make alumni feel forgotten or excluded.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I say Kudos to the Cadets for doing whatever it takes to ensure it's survival and future success.  Boston had every single camp in Texas this year, and their spring training is in Northern Vermont.   You do what you need to do.

• Like 6