The Cadets 2023

2 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

The Cadets decided to abandon New Jersey.

Not the other way around.

Cadets did what they needed to do to survive. It's the same principle as those who move from NYC/North Jersey to more southern or midwestern states. You do what you need to do to survive. If you don't want to give them grace because of the decisions they made, that's your prerogative. But if you have grown up in NY/NJ like I did, you know it is very expensive to live there, let alone maintain a non-profit organization there. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, 2000Cadet said:

Cadets did what they needed to do to survive. It's the same principle as those who move from NYC/North Jersey to more southern or midwestern states. You do what you need to do to survive. If you don't want to give them grace because of the decisions they made, that's your prerogative. But if you have grown up in NY/NJ like I did, you know it is very expensive to live there, let alone maintain a non-profit organization there. 

More or of a reason for The Cavaliers to move to Texas.... lol!!!!

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, 2000Cadet said:

I don't agree about The Cadets doing what they needed to do to survive.

More like GH went for what he thought would be the brass ring in Allentown.

I was Engineer for the City of Hackensack  when the then Garfield Cadets approached the

City to move there.

As a Cadets fan and supporter I was thrilled.

I was at the City Council meeting when GH made his pitch.

All kinds of promises to work with the City's youth programs and Board of Education including the High School Band.

Didn't keep any of them.

The City gave them a building to use as their headquarters.

They kept it like a pig pen.

All kinds of problems with blocked stairs and exits.

After a while GH found greener pastures in Bergenfield and moved the corps there.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

I was Engineer for the City of Hackensack  when the then Garfield Cadets approached the

City to move there.

All kinds of promises to work with the City's youth programs and Board of Education including the High School Band.

Didn't keep any of them.

After a while GH found greener pastures in Bergenfield and moved the corps there.

Sounds like a reason why Cadets couldn’t go back to northern NJ even if they wanted to. Same thing as when corps leave a housing or rehearsal site a mess and wonder why they can’t use it again.

6 minutes ago, craiga said:

With all the bridges that GH burned in Garfield, Hackensack, Bergen County, and Allentown it is no wonder the Cadets' new leadership moved them to the other end of Pennsylvania.   Heck, thank your stars they didn't get moved to Santa Clara, California.   At least, they'll be out on the field for their 89th season. 

At the rate of Cadets circumnavigation of the globe, they will be in Santa Clara by the 2240s. 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

At the rate of Cadets circumnavigation of the globe, they will be in Santa Clara by the 2240s. 

With the ongoing battle between my 49ers and the city of Santa Clara, the Niners might not be there then, and the Cadets can move into Levi's Stadium.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rpbobcat said:

City to move there.

Didn't keep any of them.

GH is gone. GONE. He no longer runs the Cadets. The move to Erie was after his tenure but regardless, given the state of inflation among other things, they need to do what they need to do to survive. I think we should probably be a little more grateful that they're still here, ESPECIALLY given what's happening to our West Coast friends. And given what you described what Cadets, under his leadership, did to the City of Hackensack, what makes you think they would even be welcome back in North Jersey? Maybe be a little more grateful the corps you love is still around...

Edited by 2000Cadet
  • Like 8

3 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

GH is gone. GONE. He no longer runs the Cadets. The move to Erie was after his tenure but regardless, given the state of inflation among other things, they need to do what they need to do to survive. I think we should probably be a little more grateful that they're still here, ESPECIALLY given what's happening to our West Coast friends. And given what you described what Cadets, under his leadership, did to the City of Hackensack, what makes you think they would even be welcome back in North Jersey? Maybe be a little more grateful the corps you love is still around...

we'd all love for corps to stay where they started....but too many burned bridges as i said before, and nowhere in NJ could give the Cadets what they get in Erie.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

First ,The Cadets didn't leave NJ for Erie.

They left for Allentown.

At the time they talked about it as if Allentown was Shangri -La.

Guess not.

Now they left Allentown for Erie.

Second, I never mentioned anything about the corps moving back to

NJ.

Once they announced they were leaving, no one ever expected they'd 

come back.

As Mr. Ream posted, too many burned bridges.

( More like blown up ) 

I hope everything works out for them in Erie.

I'll still keep my M&G Membership.

My point is that The Cadets don't even acknowledge to their NJ roots

anymore.

There are  a number of Cadets Alumni and long time fans in North Jersey that

The Cadets don't seem to have any interest in anymore.

Except when they want contributions.

They aren't even putting  on an a North Jersey show, even though, this year they'll be spending

July 4th weekend in New England.

Maybe they'll wave from their busses when they drive down the Turnpike.