The Cadets 2023

I remember showing up to (contests), now called shows, not knowing what to expect other than good music and good marching...I don't know when it became mandatory to " theme" shows, but I can see why people become disenchanted with the modernity, when it seems to pigeon hole a corps to a theme that they MUST adhere to for 11 to 13 minutes...But why?...Sometimes, all we want is to be entertained!..If that includes a theme, so be it, but if a corps wants to entertain and still meet the scoring criteria, must there be a theme?...If Seinfeld could last nine years as" the show about nothing" and maintain it's popularity, could a corps similarly do a show about nothing and meet the scoring criteria, if  performed well?BTW, I don't know if corps have to have a theme in place before the season starts..If they do , I apologize for my ignorance..peace

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Just saw their show in Douglasville live last night and they knocked the doors down. They just move and play differently from other corps while still being bad-### (not saying they're better, just that if you turned the sound off you'd know who they are just by the way they move). 

I'm not a fan of the costumes at all but the show itself was so good I didn't even notice them. As to show theme, a buddy posted last night that he's given up on trying to connect/understand the stated theme to what on the field in terms of sets, costumes, music, and movement. Just go and enjoy the show for what it is without trying to make it all connected to a larger storyline. Once I let go of that contemporary drum corps became much more enjoyable.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rufus67 said:

A buddy posted last night that he's given up on trying to connect/understand the stated theme to what on the field in terms of sets, costumes, music, and movement. Just go and enjoy the show for what it is without trying to make it all connected to a larger storyline. Once I let go of that contemporary drum corps became much more enjoyable.

I gave that up years ago when I started to have to read disertations on corps websites to see what the show is about. It's 10-11 minutes. It's gone way too far IMO. But, I still enjoy the activity for what it is. 

We'll see what becomes of the Cadets but I do not believe they will be any lower than 6th. To me, their show is so much better than Blue Stars, Cavaliers or Mandarins. I also see more complexity and demand in their show. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how I see it. It's a great show.

Edited by Vuitton
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

On 7/12/2023 at 10:47 AM, Rufus67 said:

... Just go and enjoy the show for what it is without trying to make it all connected to a larger storyline. Once I let go of that contemporary drum corps became much more enjoyable.

As a band director, parent, and alum, I must say that this is a great piece of wisdom when it comes enjoying a show.  

However, I 100% agree that having a unifying concept that ties everything together is probably much more interesting for a judging community, an ensemble, and a staff that live and re-live the show for months on end.    

As an anecdote, a couple years ago my band kids played Ravel's Pavane for a Dead Princess.  We went through lots of discussions about what each part of the piece might represent (the parents' sorrow, the moment of the child's passing, etc.).  Later on, after they put a ton of work into investing meaning into the music itself, I told them the truth: 

Ravel smiled coyly[, replying to a performer,] and replied, "Do not be surprised, that title has nothing to do with the composition. I simply liked the sound of those words and I put them there, c'est tout".

They felt cheated and hurt.  Ravel may have been joking, but... ugh.  Gut punch.  

We then had a great discussion about how the artist and the art can stand separate from each other.  I ruined the piece for them, I think, but it was a huge learning moment.  

I'm waiting for the day when drum corps just start coming out with "Show #78" and then imbed their own private meanings into their shows... just like they did back before everyone had to have a title.  🙃 lol

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

On 7/11/2023 at 11:21 PM, Tommeee said:

I do not agree about this being a low-effort design.  However, I think their chosen name for the show, “Atlas Rising”, was perhaps not very well thought out.  This name certainly implies some very literal motifs, but yet the staff admit they were not going for this type of theme in literal sense.  

The idea that design choices in a show should always make sense has been proven wrong many times.  And I personally prefer shows that are more non-literal.  This brass and this percussion are great, and I kinda wish they were just playing and marching and dancing to show off their growth and emotion, WITHOUT any theme at all this year. 

This Atlas Rising theme is not only unnecessary, but it’s actually causing people to try and find literal meaning where there is none.  It doesn’t really bother me, but I can understand how it bothers other people.  I am choosing to overlook it, and just pay attention to their performance and emotion.  Looks like the score improved tonight, if scores are what matters.  Let’s keep it going!!

I still believe they can finish as high as 5th, depending entirely on their performance!

Do you think it’s possible to have a theme but still be pretty non-literal?

IDK, the theme clarifies some of the dancing and visual motifs for me but I don’t really need or want for it to mean more than that — the title helps me attach it to a specific familiar character, but I don’t think it forces me to look for anything deeper or implies anything too literal. I see the word “Atlas,” I see movement and drill that imply shows of physical strength, and I get the point! I don’t need a story. 

But since so many people seem to find the design low-effort, maybe they shoulda gone with “Atlas Shrugged”! 

Edited by saxfreq1128
  • Like 1

It will be interesting to see how the Cadets, Phantom Regiment, and Mandarins stack up against each other.  

• Like 2

With all of the concern over placement and show development, I am pleased to see the Cadets achieving in both categories..BTW was yesterday's win in Tupelo, their first first place in a while? My memory says yes, but I am a senior citizen..lol

• Like 1

On 7/11/2023 at 8:36 PM, arabica said:

In 2023, we KNOW effective and competitively-designed props cannot just be wooden platforms [...with glittery wrapping paper tubes??] clunkily moved two or three times with seemingly no connection to the theme. They need to be intentional, integrated, interactive, and seamlessly restaged.

These unfortunately are not that.

If only The Cadets had $100 grand lying around to blow on props and tarps, perhaps that might be rewarded with a couple extra points of GE.

Reminds me of a quote from the movie The Right Stuff about the Mercury Seven astronauts, "No bucks, no Buck Rogers."

Edited by ykw
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

BTW...

When I first saw the props and uniforms, I literally thought, "ALRIGHT CADETS! They're not spending a ton of money on a bunch of extra junk!!! WOOO!"  

The fiscal conservative inside me ran around in joyous circles throwing cheap handmade confetti for, like, 5 minutes.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2