The Cadets 2023

I remember in 2001 some were in an uproar over the fact that some were laying down on the field during the ballad. My how times have changed.

As an alum, I appreciate the fact that the west point is at least making some sort of appearance... if only for the parades. I was never a big fan of parades, but I have to think now it gives the members something special. 

For a while, I did feel like they were turning a blind eye to the alums. A lot of that was leadership (we know who). The last few years, they have been really trying hard to bring back the alums. It isn't going to happen overnight, but it is working. There's a way to modernize and still keep an identity. 

The problem that some have is that they see the uniform as The Cadets. And while it is a huge part of it, it is the people that make the group, not the aesthetic. There are many alums on the staff and I have absolute trust in them. Jon Bilby is someone I have absolute faith in when it comes to The Cadets and who they should be. 

As for the members, I am in absolute full support of them and what they are doing. Sure, the look wouldn't have been my first choice, but I get it and support it. Really love the show this year and believe it has the potential to be a top 5 show.  They have a lot of work to do if they want to get there, but I believe they have what it takes to get it done. They have a lot less shows than usual and that works heavily in their favor. The vehicle is good enough... they just need to execute. Obviously more will be changed and added, but I believe it has a ton of room to grow. I look forward to seeing the final product in August and the progress along the way.

Edited by East9900
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

I don't think they are going to abandon the uniform permanantly. There may be a show in a year or two where they decide that is the best look. So I kinda feel they will put that uniform out every 2 or 3 years for their show and not just for parades.

It took a literal global pandemic to see those uniforms on the field again after 2015—might have to wait for the next one. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, East9900 said:

For a while, I did feel like they were turning a blind eye to the alums. A lot of that was leadership (we know who). The last few years, they have been really trying hard to bring back the alums. It isn't going to happen overnight, but it is working. There's a way to modernize and still keep an identity. 

I apologize for singling you out, but I think you and so many others have this wrong. Independent of corps of leadership, too many Cadets from the past have been far too focused on maintaining their uniform at all costs. They were (and are) unreasonable. Lots of people share the blame for where the Cadets are today. 

30 minutes ago, Sh0uldN0t said:

I apologize for singling you out, but I think you and so many others have this wrong. Independent of corps of leadership, too many Cadets from the past have been far too focused on maintaining their uniform at all costs. They were (and are) unreasonable. Lots of people share the blame for where the Cadets are today. 

In a way, Madison and Cadets are going through the same struggle for slightly different reasons 

The source of the issue is ego, pride, stubbornness, with a dash of selfishness 

4 hours ago, East9900 said:

I remember in 2001 some were in an uproar over the fact that some were laying down on the field during the ballad. My how times have changed.

You should have been here on DCP in 2009 when BD sat down in chairs during their opener. This place went to DEFCON One. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Chief Guns said:

You should have been here on DCP in 2009 when BD sat down in chairs during their opener. This place went to DEFCON One. 

I certainly did!

I was at the Riverside show and complained about their treatment of Happy Days Are Here Again, and also the trumpet section fracking that didn't get called out in the score, imho.

I was ready to throw babies at them until seeing them at this show, but it's just cranky old me.

The mirrors in 2010 were much cooler, though...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

Literally my favorite BD show

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Sh0uldN0t said:

Absolutely there are people that feel that way. I am not and was not one of them. I was supportive of the corps almost to a fault. 

I may have been uncomfortable with the changes, but I made the choice to continue to support them through thick and thin. Some people have not done that, and that's their choice. That isn't just a Cadets thing, either.

The problem I have with prior leadership is I no longer felt welcome. It did not happen overnight, either. I would almost yearly go to at least one rehearsal. It got to a point I didn't feel welcome back to my corps. The members did not give me that feeling. That came all the way from the top. I know from talking to others that I was absolutely not the only one that felt that way. 

So when new leadership came in, they made it a point to reach out to alums. Alums from any corps should never feel  unwelcome... no matter how squeaky of a wheel they may be. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

In a way, Madison and Cadets are going through the same struggle for slightly different reasons 

The source of the issue is ego, pride, stubbornness, with a dash of selfishness 

There was another corps who had the same rep. Now luckily for them they after decades got that in check and alumni involved now seem to know their role and the corps shot into finals and then top 1/2

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sh0uldN0t said:

I think this post is completely unfair and seem to putting a lot of Cadets alum into the same basket. Based on what I've seen on other social media sites, many alum seem to be completely fine with Cadets show, and what they're wearing. I'm not one of them who is fine with this uniform, but this is not my show. Additionally, there are many alum who have moved on from the idea that the old Cadets uniform should be back.

I personally have recognized that we are in a different era and that uni will never come back. But I also feel a better choice would have made them look better than what they have AND contribute to their show concept. Look at BD's uniform this year. It's fantastic in my view. Something like that could have easily worked for Cadets. 

Edited by 2000Cadet